PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson - underestimated even as a rookie?

Mods, can we close this thread and start another Dobson thread ? This one has gone WAY off track, don't even know what THIS discussion is all about, but it certainly ISN'T about Dobson.

What? You have a problem with rehashing personnel decisions from two seasons ago? Very relevant to Aaron Dobson.

Personally, I am waiting for this thread to veer into everyone's favorite cooking recipes. I have an excellent one for an apple Brown Betty.

What? You have a problem with rehashing personnel decisions from two seasons ago? Very relevant to Aaron Dobson.

Personally, I am waiting for this thread to veer into everyone's favorite cooking recipes. I have an excellent one for an apple Brown Betty.

I'm sorry, give me a box of Oreos or Chips Ahoy, a half gallon of milk, and I'm happy !

Seriously fellas and ladies, lets only talk about Dobson in this thread.

Belichick chose to go with an injury prone CB (Dowling) when he didn't have adequate backups. He also went with 2 "ST only" types in Ebner and Cole, leaving the defensive backfield understaffed from the start. He then traded for another injury prone CB (Talib) when he still didn't have adequate backups.

Belichick chose terribly at CB/DB last season. BB's made a lot of mistakes in the last couple of seasons.

That is a fair and accurate assessment when speaking to the entire CB group. I was speaking to Cole and him doing a good job at what I felt he was signed to do.

That is a fair and accurate assessment when speaking to the entire CB group. I was speaking to Cole and him doing a good job at what I felt he was signed to do.

I think part of the problem with evaluating secondary personnel the past couple of seasons has been that you can't really evaluate bit players in the context of their intended roles, because they never end up in their intended roles due to insufficient depth. Ihedigbo was fine as a special teamer and emergency depth guy, but he ended up starting a bunch of games in 2011. Arrington is a fine nickel corner, but he spent all of 2012 being one injury away (behind two injury-prone CBs) from being placed outside. And I don't even want to bring up Barrett or Chung.

It's tough to feel confident in the secondary depth chart when you're always one injury away from a domino effect where multiple players end up being completely overmatched at a position where they're suddenly the starter. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get away with that for a full season, and sometimes I'd even be okay with it as long as the initial starter is a notably durable player, but when you're starting injury-prone players you simply have to have competent backups. Anything less than that is a failure on the part of the front office.

Want to rehash 2 year old decisions? Well if we had picked speedster Mike Wallace over Brandon Tate, we likely wouldn't be seeing a complete overhaul of the Pats WR corps. Because we would have had the guy to 'take the top off' the defense. Might even have an extra Lombardi on the shelves in Foxboro.

As you said, it's not like the players are from Miami or Alabama. We're talking about Rutgers!

There are a few other teams in the NFL with 8 players from the same school, a few more with 7, and a bunch with 6--so it's probably not as big of a deal as you're making it.

Unfortunately Rutgers isn't on par with the Alabamas and SCarolinas of the world though, but there are obviously some things they do well that Belichick agrees with, at least in terms of players who he may have been on the fence about anyway.

Want to rehash 2 year old decisions? Well if we had picked speedster Mike Wallace over Brandon Tate, we likely wouldn't be seeing a complete overhaul of the Pats WR corps. Because we would have had the guy to 'take the top off' the defense. Might even have an extra Lombardi on the shelves in Foxboro.

Yah but right now we'd be wicked pissed because he just left for a better offer

What my father had to say.. "I think you guys actually got two good receivers for the first time, out of the draft. Who knows if they will ever be Hall of Famers or whatever, but I think they are light years ahead of anybody you all ever got out of college in the last ten years or so." And I asked him about Aaron Dobson in particular and here is what he had to say "Well, he is big, strong, fast and can catch so I don't know. He's no scrub, but does have raw talent, and I love that name Aaron Dobson, sounds like a pro's pro. I think at the end of the day, Bill looked at the past receivers out of the draft and said you know what, I'm going to get it right this time, and I think he did with this kid, I really do"....... And I still feel the same way. Even though a lot is uncertain at this point.

What my father had to say.. "I think you guys actually got two good receivers for the first time, out of the draft. Who knows if they will ever be Hall of Famers or whatever, but I think they are light years ahead of anybody you all ever got out of college in the last ten years or so." And I asked him about Aaron Dobson in particular and here is what he had to say "Well, he is big, strong, fast and can catch so I don't know. He's no scrub, but does have raw talent, and I love that name Aaron Dobson, sounds like a pro's pro. I think at the end of the day, Bill looked at the past receivers out of the draft and said you know what, I'm going to get it right this time, and I think he did with this kid, I really do"....... And I still feel the same way. Even though a lot is uncertain at this point.

It's these posts that keep me down at Homer #3

It's these posts that keep me down at Homer #3

Out of curiosity, who is Homer #2? (assuming the above poster is your 1#).

Anyhow, in regards To Dobson, I don't expect him to be the next Randy Moss. What I do expect for him is that he becomes a capable number 2 target by the end of his second or third year.

As you said, it's not like the players are from Miami or Alabama. We're talking about Rutgers!

Go take a look at where Rutgers' defense was ranked last year.

Actually, that would be a five year old decision, but I don't want to rehash a four year or two year old decision.

And BTW, I am not all that enamored with Mike Wallace, but he obviously would have been a much better decision than Brandon Tate in hindsight. I still think Wallace would not be great in the Pats' offense, but obviously far better than Tate was.

But this is a Dobson thread or at least it was.

Out of curiosity, who is Homer #2? (assuming the above poster is your 1#).

I have no idea. Lots of contenders for 1 & 2. If figure by taking 3 I'll be out of the contentious fray.

Go take a look at where Rutgers' defense was ranked last year.

I think that stating Rutgers defensive statistics from one year would be insanely short-sighted, especially when Schiano only left less than a couple of yrs ago.

I don't think it has much to do with stats or how many yards the Rutgers defense allowed last season as it has to do with Belichick knowing that the program itself is solid in the way they teach their work ethic, knowing some of the players' stories/backgrounds better than others, and actually having the players handpicked and recruited by a solid coach whom he trusts in Greg Schiano.

On top of that, some of it may also be coincidental--after all, there are a handful of teams who have 7 and 8 players from the same school, and a bunch that have 6.

I think it's that we drafted three in the same year and then signed another as UDFA. In reality, BB has almost cut as many Rutgers players as he's drafted so it's not as though being a Rutger's alum is the golden wrapper that guarantees a prospect a place in Bill Belichick's Chocolate Factory.

Yep, I think you're right.

Like I said it could be any number of reasons why this happened. My guess is that Belichick trusts the opinion of a guy like Schiano, who is also a no-nonsense coach who demands 110% out of his players too. The practice routines and solid work ethic mantra goes a long way towards perking a guy like Belichick's ears up.

Either way, I honestly couldn't care less myself. I really don't understand why it concerns some people in the least. The solid track record alone should help us to keep some minor concerns to ourselves, although I'm all for speaking up with seriously questionable decisions and/or problems that come up throughout the year. It's just my opinion that this isn't really a concern to get anyone's panties in a bunch about, aside from maybe the questioning of Harmon in the 3rd round--which is at least quite reasonable.

That said, I also recognize the fact that different things will bother different people so to each his own.

Yep, I think you're right.

Like I said it could be any number of reasons why this happened. My guess is that Belichick trusts the opinion of a guy like Schiano, who is also a no-nonsense coach who demands 110% out of his players too. The practice routines and solid work ethic mantra goes a long way towards perking a guy like Belichick's ears up.

Either way, I honestly couldn't care less myself. I really don't understand why it concerns some people in the least. The solid track record alone should help us to keep some minor concerns to ourselves, although I'm all for speaking up with seriously questionable decisions and/or problems that come up throughout the year. It's just my opinion that this isn't really a concern to get anyone's panties in a bunch about, aside from maybe the questioning of Harmon in the 3rd round--which is at least quite reasonable.

That said, I also recognize the fact that different things will bother different people so to each his own.

I'm surprised that anyone is significantly bothered by it except that it is amusing in an ironic kind of way. We've only drafted four Rutgers players, it really isn't that big of a deal (we've drafted two Marshall players in a similar time frame and three out of TCU). BB has always had his favourite coaches whether it be Saban, Meyer or Schiano. I'm comfortable with the quality of those coaches.

I think that stating Rutgers defensive statistics from one year would be insanely short-sighted, especially when Schiano only left less than a couple of yrs ago.

I don't think it has much to do with stats or how many yards the Rutgers defense allowed last season as it has to do with Belichick knowing that the program itself is solid in the way they teach their work ethic, knowing some of the players' stories/backgrounds better than others, and actually having the players handpicked and recruited by a solid coach whom he trusts in Greg Schiano.

On top of that, some of it may also be coincidental--after all, there are a handful of teams who have 7 and 8 players from the same school, and a bunch that have 6.

It's obviously not based solely on any one factor. The poster I was responding to made it out as if Rutgers defense wasn't top 10 last year and top 12 the year before that. BB's familiarity with Schiano along with the success of his recruits particularly on the defense are the 2 main reasons I feel that BB has been bringing on Rutgers players. I don't think it's any coincidence that most of the players on the team from Rutgers are on the defensive side of the ball.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back