Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Mac or Zappe

• Zappe

• Mac

Results are only viewable after voting.
It'd be a sad day, but that day seems closer than we all might realize.
I'd still like BB to get past Halas - and maybe it was the curse of old Papa Bear last night.
But after this year, I'd say it could be a total overhaul. BB, Matty P, Judge, Stevie B.
Bring in Peyton, keep Mayo and T. Brown
I know you meant Payton (right?) but Peyton Manning on the staff would turn a few heads…

Just being honest…I’m not liking what I’m hearing with reports the team was either surprised or unhappy with the QB switch. They’re not on the same page. And BB still playing coy with who starts on Sunday? And he’s not committing to anyone.

This kind of stuff is what starts to happen to coaches whose seats are warming up near the end of their run. Tom Coughlin’s exit from the Giants followed a similar path.

Maybe I’m overreacting but this doesn’t feel great right now.
Total overreaction SB after one game. I don't remember seeing this after the Cleveland or Detroit game but then again winning cures everything. lol

He needs to get another defensive mind on That staff and fresh voices on offense.
I’d be ok with Obrein coming as Ass coach with a chance to audition for the head gig.
We need meanness on defense.
Our players don’t have that dog Attitude.
I hate to say it but Rex Ryan or Greg Williams would turn that around.
I heard I believe it was Bentley yell at a player for not tackling.
He said effing tackle.
That was a perfect sound bite to explain the game.

I wouldn’t think his seat would be hot unless the team doesn’t end up winning a playoff game following next season. Then, we should begin question whether BB should retire or be put out to pasture.

They weren't playing from behind the whole game. They took the lead 14-10 and then all three phases decided to suck on toast.
They panicked and played like they were behind, Chicago tricked them into playing the game they wanted. The Pats were thoroughly out coached and outplayed last night. Tip of the cap to the Bears, they played smart and physical.

Total overreaction SB after one game. I don't remember seeing this after the Cleveland or Detroit game but then again winning cures everything. lol
It’s not just the loss though… what got my attention was hearing reports players were not on the same page as the coaching staff with this QB situation and in Meyers case seeing him questioning it. That’s not good. I would hope he’s not being coy about it with his team like he is in public. Something weird is going on and it’s not great imo

Disagree on that move. A discussion of Belichick's handling of the situation is different that just "mac vs zappe" although obviously that will be a component of it. Why in the world would a couple of similar, but different, topics/threads be a problem?

Now it's this one massive thread which I probably won't bother with. It's the central issue of the team right now, let's not have thread OCD and feel compelled to tidy everything up. No disrespect but I'd break this out, I started the thread for a reason.
I'll address your thread question here...

I was of the opinion that Belichick should have stuck with Zappe as the starter because it seemed pretty obvious that the offense was looking much better with him. Not sure why he went back to Mac (on a short leash) and Belichick won't give us the reasons either because he thinks secrecy is an advantage (which it isn't, especially when your own players are confused).

So Belichick made the mistake of starting Mac over Zappe which completely blew up in his face because Mac was terrible, they fell behind 0-10, the crowd completed turned on Mac with the Zappe chants, then Belichick benches Mac after merely three very forgettable series, which probably puts Mac's confidence completely in the sewer, and then after Zappe gives the offense an initial spark, they completely fall apart starting with the fumbled handoff to Meyers. In the end, Belichick's handling of the quarterback situation looked really bad.

Now there's a definite quarterback controversy. Belichick has thrown gasoline on that fire. I think he has to name a starter asap and stick with whoever he chooses through at least the bye and only consider a switch at that point if his choice has completely sucked.

I would go with Zappe. My reasoning is simple... Mac has been terrible (dating back to week 15 of last season) and the offense has looked better with Zappe. I believe last night's game could have gone very differently if Zappe starts with the effectiveness of his first two series. While the offense was instead bumbling around with Mac, they fell into a 0-10 hole. They briefly took the lead but then the wheels came off the offense, defense and special teams. Poor play, poor coaching and a really disheartening loss to a bad team (at home in primetime). Team lost a lot of momentum with this one... now they're in a must win situation against the surprising Jets.

I do have to wonder how Jones is going to handle the crowd completely turning on him.

It’s not just the loss though… what got my attention was hearing reports players were not on the same page as the coaching staff with this QB situation and in Meyers case seeing him questioning it. That’s not good. Something weird is going on and it’s not great imo
My dad told me if a team has 2 quarterbacks, they have none...great point. I'm sure BB will go back to Mac and hopefully, he'll get back to where he was the first 3/4 of last year.

Zap looks better to me. But i'm not impressed with Bill mid-season quarterback experiment, this isn't the preseason. Bill should go with Zap and ride the wave, and everyone should get on board.

He did and zappe crashed and burned after 2 solid drives

One saved by an amazing catch from Meyers on a poorly thrown ball

My dad told me if a team has 2 quarterbacks, they have none...great point. I'm sure BB will go back to Mac and hopefully, he'll get back to where he was the first 3/4 of last year.
Totally agree with your dad. QB by committee never work well on any team. Impossible to have any coherence or leadership on offense when your starter isn’t on the field all the time

I think Bill needs to break the mold and have a meeting with the players and say this is our QB going forward whether it’s Bailey or Mac.
I think at this point it has to be Zappe.
So if Meyers doesn’t agree with that you have to trade him if players aren’t in sync.
But BB needs to look at the team and say this is our Quaterback.
He needs to get involved in the O line coaching these penalties aren’t a scar thing.
Maybe Wynn wants to be out because he knows he’s not getting the coaching he needs.

As for the defense it’s attitude and want to.
I don’t think it’s technique.
It’s a dog attitude.
I love Mccourty but he makes a business decision everytime he needs to make a big hit and he chooses not to make that hit.

Starting Mac and messing with a winning streak was dumb. It probably cost them the game.

They also clearly got out coached last night. How do you play the Bears and not put a shadow on Fields until the second half because he was burning you… that’s literally the entirety of his game. He’s Lamar Jackson lite. You do that from the opening play until the end of the game.

Giving up on the run was stupid, the game wasn’t out of hand to start the second half. Don’t change who you are just because the Bears are putting pressure on you to score. Get Zappe under center and play your game.

Patricia’s two minute offense of just having Zappe stand back in shotgun like a statue was also dumb. Move the entire pocket, roll Zappe around and give him throwing lanes. For cripessakes watch some Drew Brees film and look what Sean Payton did with a QB an inch shorter than Zappe.

It was one game, BB isn’t and shouldn’t be on notice… that’s just silly. But there’s no doubt they have to commit to Zappe and play much smarter. They also have to get healthy, the D missed Barmore and Duggar a lot last night, get your stars healthy.
I agree. Ride the hot hand. Mac needed to play a perfect game and win for no controversy and instead they tank him after three series. It should've been quick short passes but issue is no James white replacement plus a ton of rust

They **** the bed last night, but even during the glory days they seemed to have a head scratcher once a season. Prior to last night many were UP on this team and there was a positive vibe about the direction we were heading. Yes - last night was about as ugly as it gets, but I think this is a complete overreaction.

I was spoiled in my childhood getting Parcells Carroll and BB as our coaches. Drew Bledsoe and then Tom Brady as the QBs I got to watch every Sunday. My son is 2. When he’s older I hope he gets to experience the same thing I did watching young talented franchise QBs take us to the super bowl.

I don’t think either Mac or Zappe are the long term answers. High draft pick next year QB should be priority

As for BB he’s in his 70s it’s time to get out. His legacy is secure. He’s not the right guy for the rebuild imo. I would look into Sean Payton

Last edited:
I think Bill needs to break the mold and have a meeting with the players and say this is our QB going forward whether it’s Bailey or Mac.
I think at this point it has to be Zappe.
So if Meyers doesn’t agree with that you have to trade him if players aren’t in sync.
But BB needs to look at the team and say this is our Quaterback.
He needs to get involved in the O line coaching these penalties aren’t a scar thing.
Maybe Wynn wants to be out because he knows he’s not getting the coaching he needs.

As for the defense it’s attitude and want to.
I don’t think it’s technique.
It’s a dog attitude.
I love Mccourty but he makes a business decision everytime he needs to make a big hit and he chooses not to make that hit.
Unlike a lot of coaches out there, BB only has one motivation on who is the qb and that's who gives us the best chance of winning. He's not going to be swayed by where someone was drafted, how much he makes etc. We'll find out this weekend who that qb is and from what I'm hearing, don't be surprised if it's Mac.

BB and Matty P have been notoriously proud mind-f-ing coaches. Patricia got run out of Detroit because he thought he was some football Yoda that was too superior for everyone else. They both also hold LONG grudges against players. This has shown up already with Bourne, and now it's clearly going into the Mac/Zappe situation. I'm about fed up for good. I've defended BB for 20 years, but too many decisions that hurt the team despite the mantra "whatever is best for the team". NONE of the decisions related to this Mac injury and QB carousel was best for the team. Not to mention the stupidity of Patricia & Judge as the Offensive brain trust.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back