PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yes, Asiasi and Keene Are Flops

Both TE’s are good prospects with time to learn and grow behind Henry and Smith. TE is one of the toughest positions for rookies to transition to the pros. People calling them busts already are misanthropic know nothings.
Two 3rd round picks gotta be better than the two best FAs on the market, otherwise they are FLOPS!!!

I think it's more about zero time on the field for either of those and matt lacosse coming in as backfill for blocking. That's says a lot about their evaluation. By now they should at least have say 12-15 receptions for 100 yards.

The fact that we paid top of the market rate to two T.E is pretty damning for both the 3rd rounders .

Sincerely wish asiasi pans out , bit looks like he might be on way out. Harry seems to have better value than asiasi.

As a fan, I hope every single draft pick makes it. Players develop at different rates (granted that most won't make it). I remember the first time the team started Edelman in front of Welker and I thought Josh had lost his mind. Well, turns out that Edelman guy was pretty good, it just took him some time to develop. Yes, it's the exception and not the rule, but it happens. Hope springs eternal.

The team was locked into picking tight ends with almost no real starter on the roster.

They drafted Dugger/Uche/Onwenu without a first round pick and were picking late. Two starters and probably three.

A draft should be graded as a whole and not just the individual pick.

It certainly wasn't a draft like 2021, but I am happy with this draft despite the obviously failed third round.

This isn't a thread about the entire draft class. It's a thread about the two tight ends taken in the draft.

Yeah, so far they are lost recruits. It is what it is. Already starting to move on from the Harry over DK and Brown. I’ve found Its just not healthy to dwell on such things that are out of your control like draft picks years after the fact. The last two drafts have been lights out so dwell on that instead.

After Trautman & Harrison Bryant, then yeah they were.
So Trautman was available - the other two were not, and you just admitted that after that, it was a crap shoot.

Wouldn't that make ONE of the two picks "bad" in your mind (with Trautman there) and the other one of a number of possibilities?

Trautman and Asiasi were graded similarly, like right near each other. The biggest difference was that Trautman played at Dayton, Asiasi at UCLA. Big concern about Trautman was that he was playing against weak competition, getting free releases off the line constantly.

Keene is only 22 - he's more than 2 years younger than the other two. And he's way more versatile. They didn't draft him to "just" be a TE.

And here's the same thing I always say...yep, broken record: a player can't get the stats if he's not being used to get the stats. Asiasi looked good at the end of last year, and looked very good in preseason this year. Not sure why he's not on the field.

Are the two disappointing for 3rd round picks? Of course. But you can't look at things in a vacuum. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both get some time next year, and neither will be expensive to keep around after year 4, it seems.

This isn't a thread about the entire draft class. It's a thread about the two tight ends taken in the draft.

You just inferred the thread sucked. Or did I misunderstand?

I was trying to give it some pizazz!

Nope. The jury isn't in yet, not by a long shot. 2020 was weird AF...if there ever were a year to just hit the reset button on, 2020 for the win, Yo!

Keene missed some time, had no TC, and seemed to be learning multiple positions as well. This year, he's already been pumping iron since January...and likely only competing with Johnson/Vitale and the #4TE position. If he can play some H-Back, bye bye LaCosse, IMO.

Asiasi had a friend gunned down, IIRC...missed some more time with injury..and looked some good in week 17. The kid has only had...what? 5 balls thrown his way in live action, no? One of them was a TD, just sayin'.... he is an upgrade over Izzo at absolute worst.

We could do far worse than a #3TE and a H-Bacl with two threes.....
This didn't age well...

A couple of draft picks were flops. It happens. Me might have the biggest steal of the draft since Tom Brady. Mac Jones does things worthy of a first overall draft choice

edit: this is from someone who wanted no part of Mac jones

The fact that a utterly ****ing useless pile of poo like Matty LaGlasse has been given snaps ahead of him this season doesn't really bode well for our friend Mr Assy-assy.

The 3rd round of the 2020 draft (& the 5th round too) was Little Nicky Caesar's parting "gift" to the organization... Thanks a bunch.
Who did you recommend the Pats draft? That draft wasn’t very good after the first two rounds was it?

So Trautman was available - the other two were not, and you just admitted that after that, it was a crap shoot.

Wouldn't that make ONE of the two picks "bad" in your mind (with Trautman there) and the other one of a number of possibilities?

Trautman and Asiasi were graded similarly, like right near each other. The biggest difference was that Trautman played at Dayton, Asiasi at UCLA. Big concern about Trautman was that he was playing against weak competition, getting free releases off the line constantly.

Keene is only 22 - he's more than 2 years younger than the other two. And he's way more versatile. They didn't draft him to "just" be a TE.

And here's the same thing I always say...yep, broken record: a player can't get the stats if he's not being used to get the stats. Asiasi looked good at the end of last year, and looked very good in preseason this year. Not sure why he's not on the field.

Are the two disappointing for 3rd round picks? Of course. But you can't look at things in a vacuum. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both get some time next year, and neither will be expensive to keep around after year 4, it seems.

Plus, it’s not like Trautman is Gronk.

Not a lot of picks in the mid and late rounds that year have developed into anything.

Asiasi isn’t on the field because Henry and Smith are better.

Plus, it’s not like Trautman is Gronk.

Not a lot of picks in the mid and late rounds that year have developed into anything.

Asiasi isn’t on the field because Henry and Smith are better.

last week bb activated laglass over assyassy!

really sad!

last week bb activated laglass over assyassy!

really sad!
Per Reiss, against the Browns Asiasi played 12 offensive snaps, LaCosse played 9, together presumably replacing Jonnu who was out. Neither had any offensive snaps vs the Falcons. Reiss doesn't report ST snaps.

Last edited:
Per Reiss, against the Browns Asiasi played 12 offensive snaps, LaCosse played 9, together presumably replacing Jonnu who was out. Neither had any offensive snaps vs the Falcons. Reiss doesn't report ST snaps.

LaCosse only played at the end when the game was well in hand. LaCosse did not play over Asiasi. Some people never change.

The team was locked into picking tight ends with almost no real starter on the roster.

They drafted Dugger/Uche/Onwenu without a first round pick and were picking late. Two starters and probably three.

A draft should be graded as a whole and not just the individual pick.

It certainly wasn't a draft like 2021, but I am happy with this draft despite the obviously failed third round.

But this thread is about individual picks.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back