PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *

More likely is that he's placed on some type of inactive list.

Edit: was responding to Scott's thought on Demps.

Aqib Talib is resigned for modest money. Welker and Vollmer go.

Trade Mallet for the browns 3rd and 5th and a 2014 conditional pick

trade 1 for mid 2nd and 4th

2. Hopkins WR Clemson

Trade late 2nd for late 3rd and 4th

3 - from cleveland - Barrett Jones C/G
3b. Steadman Bailey WR
3c. Sio Moore LB

4a. Brandon McGee/ Terry Hawthorne CB
4b. Quessenberry OT

5. from cleveland Mychal Rivera TE
7. Cooper Taylor S
7. Hayden CB

Don Banks' mock 2.0 for your viewing pleasure:

2013 NFL Mock Draft 2.0 - NFL - Don Banks - SI.com

Don't like his pick at 29.

Patterson at 9, Tavon at 22, Allen at 23 and Terrance Williams at 27... I would jump on Justin Hunter at 29 without hesitation.

Unfortunately, I think he will be the 2nd or maybe 3rd receiver (Patterson 1st and then either Hunter or Tavon second) off the board.

I would trade back slightly picking up an extra third and would take Wheaton in the early 2nd.

2A Wheaton
2B Logan Ryan/ Darius Slay
3A Da'Rick Rogers
3B Cornelius Washington and if hes not there trade back tot he 4th picking up a 5th

Patterson at 9, Tavon at 22, Allen at 23 and Terrance Williams at 27... I would jump on Justin Hunter at 29 without hesitation.

Unfortunately, I think he will be the 2nd or maybe 3rd receiver (Patterson 1st and then either Hunter or Tavon second) off the board.

I would trade back slightly picking up an extra third and would take Wheaton in the early 2nd.

2A Wheaton
2B Logan Ryan/ Darius Slay
3A Da'Rick Rogers
3B Cornelius Washington and if hes not there trade back tot he 4th picking up a 5th

Very nice mock.

Why do you like Wheaton so much? I know he's fast but isn't he a bit undersized? Is he your #1 choice just because of his potential fit in our system? He does kind of remind me of Greg Jennings so i wouldn't have too much of an issue with it.

To a large part yes. But that's because I tend to value the same things the Patriots do particularly intangibles wise: leadership, attention to detail, a team first approach. Wheaton exhibits all those in spades. I've been as impressed with Wheaton's interviews as I have any prospect. But it's not just that. Wheaton has very good deep speed but that's combined with route running savvy, catching ability and the short area quickness that means he'll get open at every level of the defense from a quick out to a deep bomb. I see him as having a better all round game than Deion Branch or Brandon Lloyd. In our offense, I believe that warrants a first round pick.

Desmond Trufant is going to be a first round CB, perhaps even mid first. Watch how Wheaton easily gains separation against him at the Senior Bowl. Brady will love Wheaton.

Markus Wheaton shakes Desmond Trufant (2013 Senior Bowl Practice) - YouTube

To a large part yes. But that's because I tend to value the same things the Patriots do particularly intangibles wise: leadership, attention to detail, a team first approach. Wheaton exhibits all those in spades. I've been as impressed with Wheaton's interviews as I have any prospect. But it's not just that. Wheaton has very good deep speed but that's combined with route running savvy, catching ability and the short area quickness that means he'll get open at every level of the defense from a quick out to a deep bomb. I see him as having a better all round game than Deion Branch or Brandon Lloyd. In our offense, I believe that warrants a first round pick.

Desmond Trufant is going to be a first round CB, perhaps even mid first. Watch how Wheaton easily gains separation against him at the Senior Bowl. Brady will love Wheaton.

The part that jumps off the tape for me is what a willing blocker he is on run and screen plays. Thats such a rare trait in the NFL, let alone college when you are the number one option. It isnt as if hes just holding his block, hes chasing guys all the way down the field, fighting for his TEAMS extra yard.

We only ever get to know so much about these guys, but for me, a WR being a willing and active blocker, especially when undersized, speaks volumes about their team mindset than any one interview clip can.

The thing about Wheaton is he does everything well. He runs every route in the tree, he can block,he can play slot, has enough speed to take the top off a defense,gains separation vertically and horizontally,has good hands. Can't say enough about him. Your right, he is a Patriots type of guy if there ever was one. The thing I don't understand is some people calling him smallish? He's 5'11 195 which is good size and he plays big. Was impressed he was able to put up 20 reps at the combine if not surprised as well.

Wheaton could easilly end up as the best WR in the draft

Impossible to mock right now with BB having about 30m to spend. I'm guessing he re-signs Welker(8m) and Talib(6m we over-rate him but need him). Spends more on the defense. Reed(5m) and Freeney(6m) possibly? About 25m on those four. We could cut Lloyd and trade for Percy Harvin. Would actually be cheaper in 2013. Say we did all of those things. A 2nd for Harvin. Trade Mallett for a 2nd Cleveland will get after trading down from 6.

1. Desmond Trufant - CB - Washington
2. Marcus Wheaton - WR - Oregon St
3. Brian Winters - OL - Kent St
7. Dustin Hopkins - K - FSU
7. Mike Williams - TE - Alabama

Went by CBS rankings. I'd prob also let go; Fells and Gostowski. Signing Thomas and Edelman with that money. Letting the following walk; Arrington, Vollmer and Woodhead. If I have enough left, I'd target Vollmer. Doubt we can afford him though.

Offense
QB - Brady and Kafka
RB - Ridley, Vereen, Bolden and Demps
WR - Welker, Harvin, Wheaton, Edelman and Slater
TE - Gronk, AHern, Ballard and Hooman
OL - Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Connolly and Cannon
Winters, Thomas, McDonald and Zusevics.
DL - C. Jones, Wilfork, Love and Freeney
Ninko, Francis, Cunningham or Bequette, Deaderick and Armstead
LB - Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Fletcher, Tarp and White/Koutouvides(Maybe UDFA)
CB - Talib, Dennard, Trufant, Cole and Dowling
S - Reed, McCourty, Wilson, Gregory and Ebner.
ST - Metsko, Hopkins and Aiken

Kafka as the only backup QB???? There's a reason he didn't play last season and it wasn't his overwelming skills

Kafka as the only backup QB???? There's a reason he didn't play last season and it wasn't his overwelming skills
Well a big part of it was because he was cut so late (final cuts day) that teams didn't think they could bring him in and teach him everything he needed to know in time. Hoyer had the same problem. These backup QB types are much more valuable if you have them for the whole offseason rather than waiting until September.

whats everyone's view on Khaseem greene and arthur brown? I think they are two of the most underrated prospects in the entire draft anf i think they would help us against TE's and RB's significantly and theyre arent liabilities in other things theyre both great all around players. Any thoughts?

The part that jumps off the tape for me is what a willing blocker he is on run and screen plays. Thats such a rare trait in the NFL, let alone college when you are the number one option. It isnt as if hes just holding his block, hes chasing guys all the way down the field, fighting for his TEAMS extra yard.

We only ever get to know so much about these guys, but for me, a WR being a willing and active blocker, especially when undersized, speaks volumes about their team mindset than any one interview clip can.

The thing about Wheaton is he does everything well. He runs every route in the tree, he can block,he can play slot, has enough speed to take the top off a defense,gains separation vertically and horizontally,has good hands. Can't say enough about him. Your right, he is a Patriots type of guy if there ever was one. The thing I don't understand is some people calling him smallish? He's 5'11 195 which is good size and he plays big. Was impressed he was able to put up 20 reps at the combine if not surprised as well.

Wheaton could easilly end up as the best WR in the draft

Yes, yes and yes. Love the Wheaton love here. You are all spot on about the extra effort Wheaton puts in.

And just to further the point on Wheaton as a perfect Patriots fit, the below interview was where I really fell for Wheaton as a prospect. This was following a 3TD performance by him and yet he credits everyone but himself. Buying in to the Patriot way is a given with Wheaton.

Markus Wheaton Post Beaver Win Over BYU - YouTube

whats everyone's view on Khaseem greene and arthur brown? I think they are two of the most underrated prospects in the entire draft anf i think they would help us against TE's and RB's significantly and theyre arent liabilities in other things theyre both great all around players. Any thoughts?

I llke both of them. I feel it's need. But, I think we have bigger needs. If we had two a first and two second rounders. I'd probably do. Thinking Spikes leaves as a UFA after next year and Hightower plays the SAM. I think Hightower can play Ninko's role in the 4-3. Then, it becomes a bigger need and would definitely do in that case.

Yeah, I would love for there to be a way to grab Greene & fill our WR & DB needs at the same time.
Unfortunately, I don't know if that's going to be possible.

This could be the year we have a double WR draft. Depending on how FA goes, the Pats badly need young speedy WRs (like Smith and Jenkins for the Ravens). We've had 2 TE drafts, 2 RB drafts-- now is the time for a 2 WR draft.

Ideally, at least 1 (or both) should be tall, speedy receivers who can handle press coverage.

Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock at NFL.Com has us taking Johnthan Banks:

Banks' poor 40 time likely cost him some money in this draft, but this would be an excellent landing spot for him. New England covets big cornerbacks and Aqib Talib is a free agent.

I'm not all that keen on yet another first round CB and Banks is quite a way down my list of CB's I want so I'm not thrilled with the pick. But I really just wanted to post this as a way of saying that Jeremiah has been by far my favourite draft pundit of this cycle (talking about at a national media level). I much prefer him to Mayock whose idiosyncracies are really starting to grate.

It's an interesting mock with Justin Pugh in the first round (damn!), a run on CB's at the end and Werner falling to #27. And don't forget, Jeremiah worked in the Ravens war room as a scout so his thoughts are worth taking seriously.

This could be the year we have a double WR draft. Depending on how FA goes, the Pats badly need young speedy WRs (like Smith and Jenkins for the Ravens). We've had 2 TE drafts, 2 RB drafts-- now is the time for a 2 WR draft.

Ideally, at least 1 (or both) should be tall, speedy receivers who can handle press coverage.
The Pats have to get at least 2 receivers. Gronk and Hernandez will be solid a TE but besides Welker the Pats have nothing at WR positions. Lloyd has 1 1,000+ yd season in 11 years and won't be resigned with the $3M bonus. Both a FA and a draft choice is needed with or without Welker.

trade down from the first to the 2nd and 3rd then trade our 2 thirds for a 2nd and a 5th then we can try and get someone like banks who is falling then someone like wheaton/patton then greene/brown and then in the 5th we get connor vernon and then 7th we go wlater stewart DE and then maybe a late round CB or OL to round it out

Trade 1st for 2nd and 3rd round picks
2A: Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
2B: Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers
3A: Cornellius Carradine, DE, Florida State
3B: DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina
7A: Johnny Adams, CB, Michigan State
7B: Travis Howard, CB, Ohio State

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents