PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Jeremy Maclin released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hindsight (observation, not complaint):

Could have saved those picks that got used on Cooks

Amazing....

someone says "maclin better than amendola"....the forum gets pissed and everyone clicks disagree

You say "could have saved those picks used on cooks". The forum agrees

Just goes to show you how blindly bias some on this forum are. Cooks should be getting way more respect here as being clearly better than maclin and on the reverse side every true NFL fan knows maclin is a better NFL wr than amendola

How could anyone possibly disagree with the great and powerful Deus??Stop being a sensitive *meow*. Your post clearly intimated that in retrospect signing Maclin as a free agent would have been a better option than trading for Cooks and giving up the picks. I disagreed with that yesterday (just like another member who responded to your post) and I disagree with that today. Cooks is a younger (by 6 years no less), more dynamic, more versatile ascending player who, in my opinion, was well worth the picks that they gave up. I believe that if BB and co. had a choice today of acquiring Maclin for money and Cooks for picks (and money), they would take the Cooks option without hesitation. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. It simply happens to be wrong in this case.

People are still offended BB traded a first round pick for a WR after they screamed and shouted for years on this forum "BB doesn't value WRs highly"

Personally I love what BB did

How could anyone possibly disagree with the great and powerful Deus??Stop being a sensitive *meow*. Your post clearly intimated that in retrospect signing Maclin as a free agent would have been a better option than trading for Cooks and giving up the picks. I disagreed with that yesterday (just like another member who responded to your post) and I disagree with that today. Cooks is a younger (by 6 years no less), more dynamic, more versatile ascending player who, in my opinion, was well worth the picks that they gave up. I believe that if BB and co. had a choice today of acquiring Maclin for money and Cooks for picks (and money), they would take the Cooks option without hesitation. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. It simply happens to be wrong in this case.

My post specifically noted that it was not a complaint, and was just an observation. Maclin, who's been a more than serviceable WR in his career, would have been a signing that allowed the team to keep the picks. That's not debatable.

If you needed clarification because you thought I was comparing the players specifically, you could have just asked. So, yes, in this case, "how could anyone possibly disagree with the great and powerful Deus?" is right. You clicking on the disagree was idiotic, and this response of yours is just as bad.

My post specifically noted that it was not a complaint, and was just an observation. Maclin, who's been a more than serviceable WR in his career, would have been a signing that allowed the team to keep the picks. That's not debatable.

Aside from the fact that they would have to compete with other teams for Maclin's services. We have no way of knowing if they would win, and reason to suspect they wouldn't.

People are still offended BB traded a first round pick for a WR after they screamed and shouted for years on this forum "BB doesn't value WRs highly"

Personally I love what BB did

Did someone in this thread post that they were offended by the Cooks trade? I missed that. Could you provide a link to it?

If you needed clarification because you thought I was comparing the players specifically, you could have just asked. So, yes, in this case, "how could anyone possibly disagree with the great and powerful Deus?" is right. You clicking on the disagree was idiotic, and this response of yours is just as bad.

My apologies, that was a typo. I meant to write the great and powerful Douche. It's pretty clear that you were comparing Maclin with no lost picks vs. Cooks and lost picks and were saying that the Maclin option would have been the better one, regardless of whether you (for once) were not complaining.

Maclin was a downfield receiver and would be competing with snaps with Cooks, and wouldn't get any. As others have said he will get more $ and more reps elsewhere.

A downfield receiver??? LoL
You never cease to amaze us with your football knowledge.

Do you mean a deep threat?

Maclin played with KC the last few years & the long ball is not exactly Alex Smith's strength.

You just don't want him because he is a threat to your binky Amendola.

Let's compare their career stats

Amendola - 8 seasons
96 games
365 receptions - (3.80 Per game avg)
Avg yards per reception - 9.5 ypc
3450 rec yards - (35.93 per game avg)
17 touchdowns - ( 2.12 per season avg)

Maclin - 7 seasons
102 games
474 receptions - (4.64 avg per game)
Avg yards per reception - 13.5 ypc
6395 rec yards - (62.69 per game avg)
46 touchdowns - (6.57 per season)

Now someone posted that Maclin only had 2 touchdowns & 7 drops last season. He had multiple injuries last year but his career stats are far better
than Amendola & suggesting that he may be an upgrade is a valid point.

You get a pass on this, but other people disagreed when someone posted Maclin may be an upgrade over Amendola.

Look at the career numbers and the fact that Maclin just turned 29 in May & Amendola will be 32 in November,
Maclin is 2 1/2 years younger.

Not to mention the fact that Amendola has had the benifit of playing with Brady for half his career.

Now I doubt we get Maclin, but there is nothing wrong with suggesting he may an upgrade over Amendola.... The numbers don't lie.

Last edited:
Did someone in this thread post that they were offended by the Cooks trade? I missed that. Could you provide a link to it?

Not in this thread but I have seen it in other threads by various posters. And a lot of people questioned the move at the time.

Maclin played with KC the last few years & the long ball is not exactly Alex Smith's strength.

Amendola - 8 seasons
96 games

Maclin - 7 seasons
102 games

Now someone posted that Maclin only had 2 touchdowns & 7 drops last season. He had multiple injuries last year but his career stats are far better

If you look at the career numbers and the fact that Maclin just turned 29 in May & Amendola will be 32 in November.

Maclin by far has been the more productive player by the statistics.

Not to mention the fact that Amendola has had the benifit of playing with Brady for half his career.

Yep. Listen Amendola is such a hard worker and beloved by patriots nation because of his blue collar style and ability to perform under pressure....But there is no doubt maclin is the better overall WR

Not in this thread but I have seen it in other threads by various posters. And a lot of people questioned the move at the time.
Even now, I suspect that many would have preferred that we gave a 3rd or 4th for Maclin.

Even now, I suspect that many would have preferred that we gave a 3rd or 4th for Maclin.
I'm not saying that's a bad option but I think Cooks makes far more sense for the teams future.

Later on when we have JG (likely taking over), it will make sense to have an elite young receiver for him. Unlike Tom, Jimmy will probably need a top flight receiving option early on. Edelman/Amendola are aging, Hogan and Mitchell are #2 receivers at best. Cooks, if extended, will be the guy.

Definitely worth #32.

Yep. Listen Amendola is such a hard worker and beloved by patriots nation because of his blue collar style and ability to perform under pressure....But there is no doubt maclin is the better overall WR

#Nunchucks

Hey Nunchucks.... I never had any respect for your political opinion & now your football opinion totally baffles me.

You agree with NG Pats Fans above post that's says Maclin is the better overall player, but you disagreed when
ChrisR2223 made a post earlier in this thread that indicated he thought Maclin was an upgrade over Danny A.

Which is it?

This is the ChrisR2223 post you disagreed with.
Upgrade over Danny A
Rams Niners Jets and Bills make sense Packers too

Amendola - 8 seasons
96 games

Maclin - 7 seasons
102 games

You get a pass on this, but other people disagreed when someone posted Maclin may be an upgrade over Amendola.

Look at the career numbers and the fact that Maclin just turned 29 in May & Amendola will be 32 in November,
Maclin is 2 1/2 years younger.

Now I doubt we get Maclin, but there is nothing wrong with suggesting he may an upgrade over Amendola.... The numbers don't lie.

What's the matter cupcake, can't find anyone to yell at?

I'm not saying that's a bad option but I think Cooks makes far more sense for the teams future.

Later on when we have JG (likely taking over), it will make sense to have an elite young receiver for him. Unlike Tom, Jimmy will probably need a top flight receiving option early on. Edelman/Amendola are aging, Hogan and Mitchell are #2 receivers at best. Cooks, if extended, will be the guy.

Definitely worth #32.
You cannot simply assume that Cooks will be extended. If he has two great years, it seems more likely that he'll get a payday elsewhere.

What's the matter cupcake, can't find anyone to yell at?

Great comeback Snowflake !

What a priceless comment (see below).... lol
After that comment, you should toss in the towel.

He is a downfield receiver

Last edited:
Amazing....

someone says "maclin better than amendola"....the forum gets pissed and everyone clicks disagree

You say "could have saved those picks used on cooks". The forum agrees

Just goes to show you how blindly bias some on this forum are. Cooks should be getting way more respect here as being clearly better than maclin and on the reverse side every true NFL fan knows maclin is a better NFL wr than amendola

Depends on how you define "better". We know that DA is incredibly clutch. We don't know that about Maclin. Wes Welker was a better player than DA. Who would you rather have? DA who makes plays when it matters most or Welker who is "better" but shrinks in the big moments like Peyton Manning? There is more to evaluating a payer other than just physical ability.

DA makes clutch plays. You can point to a number of issues, but one of the biggest that kept us from winning a title from 2005 to 2014 is that we didn't have the same number of guys who just made the big play at big moments. So in that sense it is very debatable that Maclin is better than DA. Show the man some respect.

Depends on how you define "better". We know that DA is incredibly clutch. We don't know that about Maclin. Wes Welker was a better player than DA. Who would you rather have? DA who makes plays when it matters most or Welker who is "better" but shrinks in the big moments like Peyton Manning? There is more to evaluating a payer other than just physical ability.

DA makes clutch plays. You can point to a number of issues, but one of the biggest that kept us from winning a title from 2005 to 2014 is that we didn't have the same number of guys who just made the big play at big moments. So in that sense it is very debatable that Maclin is better than DA. Show the man some respect.

Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl & the Super Bowl MVP.

Matt Ryan lost a Super Bowl & his mistakes probably cost them the game.

Who would you rather have as your QB for the 2017 season?

Some people like to disagree just to disagree you tell them water is wet and they challenge it.

Great comeback Snowflake !

What a priceless comment (see below).... lol
After that comment, you should toss in the towel.

Name the slot receiver that averages 13.5 YPC?

Right on the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore