PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Jeremy Maclin released

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cannot simply assume that Cooks will be extended. If he has two great years, it seems more likely that he'll get a payday elsewhere.

I agree, this was a two year deal and the first is a high price, but Imo Cooks is worth it. He will be a threat every time he touches the ball and he will open the offense up for everyone around him.

I agree, this was a two year deal and the first is a high price, but Imo Cooks is worth it. He will be a threat every time he touches the ball and he will open the offense up for everyone around him.

fair enough

Name the slot receiver that averages 13.5 YPC?

Here is an SI article listing top 10 slot receivers.

Ranking the NFL’s best slot receivers

Alan Hurns - 14.6 career YPC
Doug Baldwin - 13.5 career YPC
Larry Fitzgerald - 2005-2008 & 2011
OBJ - 14.3 Career YPC
Jeremy Maclin - 13.5 career YPC
Eric Decker - 13.6 career YPC

Wes Welker averaged 15 YPC with Mia in 2005.

Now I will be honest, even though SI has them listed as slot receivers, I am not sure all of them are slot receivers.

I thought Maclin played the Z - Flanker in the Chiefs West Coast offense, but he must have played some slot.

Depends on how you define "better". We know that DA is incredibly clutch. We don't know that about Maclin. Wes Welker was a better player than DA. Who would you rather have? DA who makes plays when it matters most or Welker who is "better" but shrinks in the big moments like Peyton Manning? There is more to evaluating a payer other than just physical ability.

DA makes clutch plays. You can point to a number of issues, but one of the biggest that kept us from winning a title from 2005 to 2014 is that we didn't have the same number of guys who just made the big play at big moments. So in that sense it is very debatable that Maclin is better than DA. Show the man some respect.

I don't agree with your logic at all

And for the record I would take the 2007-2012 Wes Welker over amendola in a heartbeat.

Here is an SI article listing top 10 slot receivers.

Ranking the NFL’s best slot receivers

Alan Hurns - 14.6 career YPC
Doug Baldwin - 13.5 career YPC
Larry Fitzgerald - 2005-2008 & 2011
OBJ - 14.3 Career YPC
Jeremy Maclin - 13.5 career YPC
Eric Decker - 13.6 career YPC

Wes Welker averaged 15 YPC with Mia in 2005.

Now I will be honest, even though SI has them listed as slot receivers, I am not sure all of them are slot receivers.

I thought Maclin played the Z - Flanker in the Chiefs West Coast offense, but he must have played some slot.

I don't think any of them are true slot receivers, and Welker wasn't a slot guy in Miami. Cruz and Shepherd were theslots in NY, not OBJ. All may play in the slot at times but I have never viewed any, other than Welker as a pure slot receiver, and he was always around 10-11 YPC in NE.

BB and the coaches discussing the situation with receivers and the potential for Maclin to join the team.

1994-12%20Log%20Jam%2001.JPG

Linebacker is really the only position I see needing more work, everything else is good to imo.

Even now, I suspect that many would have preferred that we gave a 3rd or 4th for Maclin.
Why? Cooks is a much better receiver than Maclin. If you aren't getting cooks you would just look for more out of Mitchell.

Linebacker is really the only position I see needing more work, everything else is good to imo.

For me, the IOL needs work. Our #1 backup is Karras. Our #2 (and 9th OL) is ???
=====

As far a linebacker, posters are unhappy. I suspect that Belichick disagrees. We usually play 2 LB, with Ninkovich as the third when we need 3. Belichick has often given lots of reps to a healthy Freeny.

OUR TWO LINEBACKERS (2-5 positions)
starters: Hightower and Van Noy
backups: McClellan, Roberts, Freeny, Bates, Langi

EDGE PLAYERS WHO WOULD BE THE THIRD LB WHEN WE USE 3
Ninkovich, Rivers, Wise

Lesean McCoy is recruiting Maclin to Buff

I'm sure there will be about 5 teams interested
Dallas or Green Bay may make the most sense

I'm sure there will be about 5 teams interested
Dallas or Green Bay may make the most sense

Why do you say that? Several teams make more sense than those two, IMO....Titans, Lions, Bills among them. Ravens and Philly make more sense from a football standpoint but they have almost no cap space currently. Niners and Browns both have huge WR needs and a ton of money to spend but are wastelands right now and probably wouldn't be attractive to him other than an immediate paycheck. He'd be a clear #3 in WR targets in Green Bay and probably #3 in WR targets in Dallas as well, at team which ran the ball more than anyone in the league last year.

Amazing....

someone says "maclin better than amendola"....the forum gets pissed and everyone clicks disagree

You say "could have saved those picks used on cooks". The forum agrees

Just goes to show you how blindly bias some on this forum are. Cooks should be getting way more respect here as being clearly better than maclin and on the reverse side every true NFL fan knows maclin is a better NFL wr than amendola

Maclin would be worse at what Amendola does best in his specific niche. That's what you don't seem to get. We are not collecting talent but building a team.

If rumors are correct looks like Buffalo wants him, or at least the players do.. there he can make some quick cash and fade into "what's his name??"... "you know the receiver who used to play for Philly and KC"

Dallas because they are knocking on the door of a superbowl have the cap room and after Dez Bryant have Switzer Williams and then their Edelman clone.
Could use Macklin To open up the passing game and Macklin more than likely wants to win.
Us because come on
San Fran salary cap space and targets
Washington would be nasty on offense with him.
Denver only if we want mediocre QBs but Elway is a great salesman.
LA Rams sexy choice is a number 1 or 2 instantly big market team offensive minded coach in the passing game.
Chargers Philip Rivers is a great QB beautiful state number 2 instantly
Ravens your potentially number 1 a or 1b receiver you run nothing but deep routes with jumpball Joe.
Philly they are building something you come back instantly loved your a number 2 or 3 til Jeffrey gets hurt then a 1 again up and coming star in Wentz you know the head coach
Jets your a 1 or two instantly lots of reps no Qb talent
Lions they are up against the cap love spreading the ball they can't pay you though

I still think Dallas makes the most sense for Macklin.
We shall see

For me, the IOL needs work. Our #1 backup is Karras. Our #2 (and 9th OL) is ???
=====

As far a linebacker, posters are unhappy. I suspect that Belichick disagrees. We usually play 2 LB, with Ninkovich as the third when we need 3. Belichick has often given lots of reps to a healthy Freeny.

OUR TWO LINEBACKERS (2-5 positions)
starters: Hightower and Van Noy
backups: McClellan, Roberts, Freeny, Bates, Langi

EDGE PLAYERS WHO WOULD BE THE THIRD LB WHEN WE USE 3
Ninkovich, Rivers, Wise

I'm not so sure about Wise ever playing LB. He's 6'5" and over 270 lbs.

Dallas because they are knocking on the door of a superbowl have the cap room and after Dez Bryant have Switzer Williams and then their Edelman clone.
Could use Macklin To open up the passing game and Macklin more than likely wants to win.
Us because come on
San Fran salary cap space and targets
Washington would be nasty on offense with him.
Denver only if we want mediocre QBs but Elway is a great salesman.
LA Rams sexy choice is a number 1 or 2 instantly big market team offensive minded coach in the passing game.
Chargers Philip Rivers is a great QB beautiful state number 2 instantly
Ravens your potentially number 1 a or 1b receiver you run nothing but deep routes with jumpball Joe.
Philly they are building something you come back instantly loved your a number 2 or 3 til Jeffrey gets hurt then a 1 again up and coming star in Wentz you know the head coach
Jets your a 1 or two instantly lots of reps no Qb talent
Lions they are up against the cap love spreading the ball they can't pay you though

I still think Dallas makes the most sense for Macklin.
We shall see

I think you are confused about current cap situation in the league. The ravens, Rams and Philly are the bottom three in the league in cap space. The Lions aren't awash in cap space but have 5 million more at least then all of those teams (8.6 million versus 3.6 million for the ravens).

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

When the cowboys are not running the ball, Dez is the number one intermediate to deep option and Beasley is the number one option on short routes as their elite slot guy. Not saying they are not an option but their main attraction would be a chance to win and the high profile of the Cowboys, not because of potential targets and productivity.

Last edited:
I think you are confused about current cap situation in the league. The ravens, Rams and Philly are the bottom three in the league in cap space. The Lions aren't awash in cap space but have 5 million more at least then all of those teams (8.6 million versus 3.6 million for the ravens).

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

When the cowboys are not running the ball, Dez is the number one intermediate to deep option and Beasley is the number one option on short routes as their elite slot guy. Not saying they are not an option but their main attraction would be a chance to win and the high profile of the Cowboys, not because of potential targets and productivity.
Do you feel the Cowboys wouldn't go to a 3 wr set more often if they had Macklin?
Macklin can also play the slot, I know they really like Switzer but he's a rookie.
As far as Dez Bryant he is often injured and we saw last year the wideout didn't scare many people.
I agree playing for a top franchise and Superbowl aspirations would be the number one selling point.
However I don't feel snaps are as limited as you suggest.
Macklin trumps a inconsistent Williams.

As far as Detroit supposedly it was leaked Detroit was interested but only if Macklin would do a team friendly deal.
Now I don't have to he the first one to stay slown down Quinn your not the Patriots.
Nobody sees the Lions and says if you want a Superbowl sign there.
Now if it's Detroit vs Cleveland and NYJ then you could say don't you want to take less money to play here?
So thats why I have the Detroit situation as not being a fruitful one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes