PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Jeremy Maclin released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like him but he's probably too expensive for us. He's also somewhere in between Cooks and Hogan skill set wise so we don't really need him. Isn't he injured a lot too?

It would be sick though but I prefer to see Mitchell development.
He's a 3 or 4 here vs a 2 elsewhere

I'm surprised how lukewarm people in here are on Maclin. He has had nothing but losers galore throwing to him for his career but still put up some damn decent numbers.

Unless there's something going on that I'm not aware of, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I would assume it's because we all figure there isn't a chance in hell he's coming here. He'll absolutely get more money and a better opportunity elsewhere.

I'm surprised how lukewarm people in here are on Maclin. He has had nothing but losers galore throwing to him for his career but still put up some damn decent numbers.

Unless there's something going on that I'm not aware of, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I think Maclin is a good player.

But I don't think he'd want to come to a team where he'd be WR3, and he'd be that behind Cooks and Edelman (to say nothing of Gronk). And between Mitchell, Hogan, and Amendola this team is loaded down at WR3. The Patriots simply have no need and no chance at signing him.

He was injured badly in the 2016 AFCDG against us. He then had a down year and is 29. Occam's razor.

Yeah, it sounds good if it's before the draft, giving the Patriots more picks for the defense and/or OL. But Big Andy waited until now, and there's no room left at the inn. Oh, well...

Because, by waiting until today, the dead money gets spread out over this year and next year. If he had traded him before the draft, they would have had to eat the entire dead money in 2017. [Even if they processed it as a post-June 1 cut, as they're allowed to do, they'd still need to carry the full dead money from the day they traded him until today.]

Hindsight (observation, not complaint):

Could have saved those picks that got used on Cooks

How the hell could anyone possibly have disagreed with that? Does Patsgofor4 think signing Maclin as a free agent would have somehow miraculously still have cost those picks?

Sure, why not? Lets pick up another 2 or 3 QBs and 5 0r 6 more WR and RBs while we are at it You can never have too many WRs. No, wait, that's pitchers. You can never have too much pitching. Sometimes I get my sports cliches mixed up. But, yeah, sign him. Bill can take one step closer to his obvious goal: the world's first all WR all RB offense.

Is there more to this story?? Despite Andy Reid's "bromance" of Maclin to go from #1 receiver to the streets seems a tad weird.

Maclin has to know if he did not accept a salary "adjustment" he would be looking for work, probably at a lot less than what the Chiefs might be offering..

Is there more to this story?? Despite Andy Reid's "bromance" of Maclin to go from #1 receiver to the streets seems a tad weird.

Maclin has to know if he did not accept a salary "adjustment" he would be looking for work, probably at a lot less than what the Chiefs might be offering..

It does seem weird. And kind of a **** move to do it now after free agency and the draft.

Maybe he failed a physical.

How the hell could anyone possibly have disagreed with that? Does Patsgofor4 think signing Maclin as a free agent would have somehow miraculously still have cost those picks?

How could anyone possibly disagree with the great and powerful Deus??Stop being a sensitive *meow*. Your post clearly intimated that in retrospect signing Maclin as a free agent would have been a better option than trading for Cooks and giving up the picks. I disagreed with that yesterday (just like another member who responded to your post) and I disagree with that today. Cooks is a younger (by 6 years no less), more dynamic, more versatile ascending player who, in my opinion, was well worth the picks that they gave up. I believe that if BB and co. had a choice today of acquiring Maclin for money and Cooks for picks (and money), they would take the Cooks option without hesitation. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. It simply happens to be wrong in this case.

Maybe he failed a physical.

Not likely, given that he was apparently running with the first team in OTAs. He even postponed his honeymoon to attend.

Maybe they founds a WR or two that they like in OTA

Good for the Ravens..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes