PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Thuney to improve WR/TE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in this scenario. Gallup benefits from being on a field with Amari Cooper

If we are giving up on the season, it might make sense to trade Thuney. The patriots aren't giving up on the season.

It makes much more sense to trade a pick for a WR. Hopefully, it works out better then last year. We need to trade for a player whi isn't allowed to be injured.

Byrd has played well.
No he hasn't...He personally sent Cody Davis to IR (possibly with broken ribs) too...

P.S. re Davis: As long as his knowledge is up to snuff, Davis upon his return to pre-injury health should take over All of Terry Brooks' snaps from scrimmage that can't be awarded to Phillips or Uncle Dugg or SloJuan (because all 3 are aleady on the field).

Last edited:
Mankins? How’d that trade workout?
DE Trey Flowers & TE Tim Mister Wright...One of Bill's better deals, though it could've looked even better had he done the obvious by drafting Mankin$' replacement Joel Bitonio the year before.

Last edited:
The "talent is everything" crowd believe every player on every other roster is better than the Patriots, especially their fantasy football weapons.

Over the last three years Gallup has played on turf in one of the best passing offenses in the NFL. They ranked 2nd in 2019 and rank 1st this year in passing yards, over his three year career he has catch percentages of 49%, 58% and 54% of his targets. He drops a lot of easy balls.

Conversely the Patriots have had one of the worst passing offenses with a disgruntled old QB who didn't want to integrate or train rookies, and now have a QB who gets the ball within a three foot diameter of a receiver, not actually to him.

His 4.45 speed is good but nothing eye opening, his mobility is slightly better than average, his height and weight at 6'1" 200 pounds isn't dominating for his athleticism. When Amari Cooper went down with injury he had trouble being the alpha dog.

When you have a QB like Cam who isn't overly accurate give me a guy who catches the balls thrown his way. I wouldn't start Gallup over Harry, Byrd or Edelman and I certainly wouldn't trade one of the best interior linemen in the NFL for a mid-tier WR.

WR isn't even the desperate "need" fans are making it out to be, they could use a great TE... anyone got one of those lying around? What about a dominant DT?
I was going to give the post a Useful until I came to the bolded...

The Falcons should send the Oats Julio Jones to make up for the fleecing of BB in the Sanu trade.

Sanu is now out of the league less than a year after BB traded a second rd pick for him!!!!

That Trade is only eclipsed in its sheer stupidity by the decision to draft Cunningham instead of his teammate Carlos Dunlap!!

Personally I really, really want to extend him as he has proven invaluable already this year - probably the team MVP right now.

That said, if Bill really feels he can't extend him, there's some merit to moving him. But what is half a season of Thuney worth to another team? They would have to be a team that is willing to pay through the nose for him, but the fact that he'll need such an extension very soon (and is expensive this year already) factors into his value... I personally don't see them netting more than a 2nd round pick back, if that. Meanwhile they could simply finish this chaotic season with him on the team and likely get a comp pick back, or have his big contract elsewhere become favorable and allow them to sign multiple free agents next year (when they have cash and many other teams do not) without it hurting the comp formula much.

If they did trade him, though, in a normal year they'd have enough players to absorb his loss to an extent if everyone is healthy (Wynn-Onwenu-Andrews-Mason-Herron/Eluemunor if still pretty good quality) but considering the aforementioned chaos of this season, you can't count on that.

So at the end of the day I think the positives of keeping him outweigh the potential gains for moving him this year. I'd want him extended most of all but would still hold him through the end of the season regardless... They could always franchise him again for $17.7 million if they wanted to lol.

The "talent is everything" crowd believe every player on every other roster is better than the Patriots, especially their fantasy football weapons.

Over the last three years Gallup has played on turf in one of the best passing offenses in the NFL. They ranked 2nd in 2019 and rank 1st this year in passing yards, over his three year career he has catch percentages of 49%, 58% and 54% of his targets. He drops a lot of easy balls.

Conversely the Patriots have had one of the worst passing offenses with a disgruntled old QB who didn't want to integrate or train rookies, and now have a QB who gets the ball within a three foot diameter of a receiver, not actually to him.

His 4.45 speed is good but nothing eye opening, his mobility is slightly better than average, his height and weight at 6'1" 200 pounds isn't dominating for his athleticism. When Amari Cooper went down with injury he had trouble being the alpha dog.

When you have a QB like Cam who isn't overly accurate give me a guy who catches the balls thrown his way. I wouldn't start Gallup over Harry, Byrd or Edelman and I certainly wouldn't trade one of the best interior linemen in the NFL for a mid-tier WR.

WR isn't even the desperate "need" fans are making it out to be, they could use a great TE... anyone got one of those lying around? What about a dominant DT?
I wouldn't do it but WR absolutely is a desperate need for the team. If it wasn't we wouldn't have spent a 1st on Harry or a 2nd on Sanu and been shuffling players in/out looking for production.

Saying you wouldn't start Gallup over Harry or Byrd is just nonsense. One has proven he could play from day 1. He's versatile, tough and has produced. He's not a superstar but he'd arguably be our WR1 if he was here. Absolutely WR2 if you want to give 11 the nod but he's been much better than Harry/Byrd up until now. That's not opinion, just facts. Sure he drops a few but that's always been his MO. You live with that if he plays bigger than size, blocks and produces. Going back to playing bigger than his size. That's actually the kind of player you want with a QB who might not be the most accurate in the world. You want a guy who can go up and make a play. And Gallup has proven he can do that despite not having great size.

Look you won't find a bigger Thuney fan than me. I was talking about him as a great player, our best OL before it was popular. I love OL/DL. Most important groups behind QB and maybe CB but WR are a necessity and we need better play from ours. It's not a crazy idea to think about. I guarantee you it's a huge need this off-season.

If we are doing the contract negotiating, where are our paychecks from Robert RichGuy?

And why did you jump from we to you and then back to we? Were you distancing yourself from the failed contract negotiation but then felt the need to take some credit for any assets received in a trade?

Great call out Borg. I didn’t realize I did that. Do I always do that and you finally had enough of it? I laughed out loud and had to explain it to my Wife. That was some good ****!

I just see how 3 top tier guards can be on the team when one is a rookie and 2 make lots of money

Sign him to an extension if at all possible. Keep him here all year even if you can't sign him to an extension because we still have a good team and a winning, playoff bound season and trading him weakens the team this year. If he walks after the year, you get a 4th and possibly even a third back the following year.

If we can't extend thuney by the trade deadline, then trade him. I rather get a higher pick than a 3rd round comp pick.

With the Pats being a team with more cap space than most they may end up wanting to sign a handful of players next off season and could lose out on a potential comp pick if he leaves. I like Thuney but unless they plan to sign him long term for top G pay then I think a trade make sense at the deadline unless they think they are a legitimate contender at that point in time.

Through a quarter of the season the Pats appear to have a rare commodity in the NFL with 6 starting quality OL:

LT Isaiah Wynn
LG Joe Thuney
C David Andrews
RG Shaq Mason
RT Jermaine Eluemunor

G/T Michael Onwenu

They have played a big part in the team's 2nd ranked rushing offense. They are also T-10th in sacks allowed despite Hoyer's efforts against the Chiefs.

Meanwhile, injuries (& a lack of talent) are mounting across the league. There could be an opportunity at the deadline to move Thuney to a desperate team.

Michael Gallup WR Cowboys

The Cowboys can't play defense or protect Dak. Meanwhile one of the more talented young WRs in the league in Michael Gallup has been relegated to 5th in targets.

+16.9 career YPR
+1107 yards in 2019

Anthony Miller WR Bears

The Bears are now squarely in the playoff race. Miller is 4th in targets behind Robinson & now 5th round rookie Darnell Mooney.

+7 TDs as a rookie
+productive 2nd year despite Trubisky

Zach Ertz TE Eagles

The Eagles OL is a disaster & Carson Wentz is regressing. Ertz is struggling as he is playing for a contract with Goedert in the wings.

+top 5 receiving TE prior to this year
+cap is reasonable

I heard Bedard mention a Thuney trade a possibility. There could be some options around the trade deadline.

no. You extend Thuney.

They could always franchise him again for $17.7 million if they wanted to lol.
We kept him this year for $14.7M when we badly needed cap money.

Why is it a LOL for him to be signed in 2021 for $17.7M? The cha situation will be better. I'm not recommending, just wondering.

We kept him this year for $14.7M when we badly needed cap money.

Why is it a LOL for him to be signed in 2021 for $17.7M? The cha situation will be better. I'm not recommending, just wondering.
Just chuckling at the thought of paying so much money for him, I suppose it certainly is possible though. At that price they should be able to just commit longer term.

No he hasn't...He personally sent Cody Davis to IR (possibly with broken ribs) too...

P.S. re Davis: As long as his knowledge is up to snuff, Davis upon his return to pre-injury health should take over All of Terry Brooks' snaps from scrimmage that can't be awarded to Phillips or Uncle Dugg or SloJuan (because all 3 are aleady on the field).

?

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill