PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade a 2018 1st to move into 2nd round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say no. BB likes to draft a WTF DB in the second round anyways.

It's not about that. We are likely to pick around 30th next year and there is still talent available that could be equal to or better to what may be available next year.

I get what you're saying, and - in terms of value-chart points, a future #30 (or later) for a current #42 would be a pretty good deal for the Pats (the ultimate value of the prospect selected notwithstanding).

If there's a specific prospect who BB believe is worth it, he'll pull the trigger. However, making such a trade simply because there might be some unspecified, hypothetically "more talented" prospect available in the mid-2nd who wouldn't be still available at #72, no FO people (not even in Cleveland) would actually ever do that, much less BB.

There are still players available with good value. I may trade the 2018 (which won't happen but for discussion sake) for one of the following players.

Cam Robinson
Zach Cunningham
Dan Feeney
Tim Williams
Forrest Lamp

I wouldVe added Dalvin Cook to the list but we are set at RB.
Considering that the Pats 1st round pick will very likely be 28th plus, if they covet a player and sucker a team in trading an early 2nd rounder for the Pat's 2018 1st, absolutely.

We wouldn't get 2.1 or 2.2 for our #1 next year. You'd be adding, minimum, our #72 this year and our #3 next year.

#1 next year straight up ? You're looking at the mid second round.

Unless it was the Bears. Just tell them the QB draft is strong next year. They're going to need one. Might get a couple 2nds and 3rds out of the deal.

Only would trade two 3rd round picks to move into the 2nd round for Obi Melifonwu
From your mouth to the football God's ears. I'm hoping by some great miracle, this happens. May be my favorite player in the draft that is left.

To answer the question, I can see Belichick moving 2018 draft picks plus one of our thirds if he really loves a guy. He's moved up before to grab someone, so it's a definite possibility.

No I wouldn't. I would consider trading Butler though although I'd be happy to keep him too.

No! We're not hurting at any position that bad. Plus, with the depth at positions we need, we'll get good players even if we stay put. A small move up may be warranted. But no one is worth a future 1st.

Hell no! I'm already getting excited about the OL talent in next years draft. I wouldn't be opposed to moving some of our picks into the future to give us more ammo for 2018 though.

This is a deep draft, we can afford to sit back, let the pieces fall and take the best guys available where we are.

Set aside the first-round part. Generalize this to "Would you trade a 2018 pick for an extra pick in 2017?" BB's answer is a resounding no.

In 16 years of drafting, he has traded up, traded down, and traded out, but he has never traded in. He'll use future picks to get established players (even if they don't make the roster [see TE Alex Smith]), but he won't use them to get extra bites at the apple.

Everything points to Belichick aiming to develop depth in his roster, rather than draft potential starters. The mid-rounds have value in terms of reaching that goal. Trading up would defeat that purpose.

First round inactivity reflects Patriots’ view of roster, available talent

Considering that the Patriots have already invested substential draft capital by trading their original first round selection in exchange for wide receiver Brandin Cooks (who, by the way, is younger than Denver Broncos' first round selection Garett Bolles), not trading up was definitely the right and most economic course of action yesterday.

Instead, the team will attack one of the strengths of this year's draft: its depth. It becomes increasingly obvious that the Patriots feel as if the middle rounds offer the best value when combined with a) what the team already has in place and b) what the team already has invested. There is still a lot of high-upside available and New England will try to take advantage of it to add to the talented core in place – at a relatively modest price.

With the Patriots approaching the first two-and-a-half months of the 2017 offseason as comparatively aggressively as they did, they have set themselves up nicely to do just that.

Only would trade two 3rd round picks to move into the 2nd round for Obi Melifonwu
I like the thought (love Obi) but then you're not picking again until the 4th, and would only have that 4th, two 5ths and a 7th left. I know they have a loaded roster, but only 5 picks (with 4 of them being 4th rounders or later) just doesn't seem like enough. But I could be wrong. Granted, I said something pretty similar to this in another thread, but in my scenario they're at least keeping a 3rd.

EDIT: Was just reminded they lost a 5th from the Gilly signing. So then they'd just have the high 2nd, a 4th, one 5th and a 7th. Seems like so little.

Last edited:
I like the thought (love Obi) but then you're not picking again until the 4th, and would only have that 4th, two 5ths and a 7th left. I know they have a loaded roster, but only 5 picks (with 4 of them being 4th rounders or later) just doesn't seem like enough. But I could be wrong. Granted, I said something pretty similar to this in another thread, but in my scenario they're at least keeping a 3rd.

EDIT: Was just reminded they lost a 5th from the Gilly signing. So then they'd just have the high 2nd, a 4th, one 5th and a 7th. Seems like so little.

Don't we have the Colts 6th from the Dwayne Allen trade?

Don't we have the Colts 6th from the Dwayne Allen trade?
Why do no draft sites have correct information. I literally verify my opinions off of NFL.com, Sports Illustrated, and others, and I still end up with bad information...

No one listen to me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

No.

Next question....

There are still players available with good value. I may trade the 2018 (which won't happen but for discussion sake) for one of the following players.

Cam Robinson
Zach Cunningham
Dan Feeney
Forrest Lamp

I wouldVe added Dalvin Cook to the list but we are set at RB.
I wouldn't do it for Forrest Gump.

Hell no. We miss a LOT on 2nd round picks. Our 1st rounders are usually gold if we decide to keep it and actually use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3