PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts? If NE gets 2 picks for JG (the 12th and 33rd) in 2017. 2nd in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh goodie

Are we there yet!?

If Garoppolo isn't our next qb I want it to be Sam darnold. So I want a shot at the first pick next year
Yeah that Sam Darnold dude is gonna be a great Pro QB. What an amazingly clutch performance vs Penn State in the Rose Bowl, as a FRESHMAN ! God knows how good he will be in a few years, but I suspect he's gonna be great.

I'd take #12 #33 and their 2nd round pick next year for JAG.

Mostly for 2 reasons.

#1 I believe Brady can play at an elite level pass this year and will. A QB playing elite even just a few years matters a lot. Cause of reason #2.

#2 The difference between elite QB play and good QB play is huge. After looking it over since 2001 HOF QBs or borderline have won 11 of the 15 super bowls (Brady/Manning/Ben/Brees/Rodgers). 5-10 other QBs who have been good in that period of time they have won 4-5 (Depending on who you classify as good).

If we assume JAG won't be a borderline HOF QB (a fair assumption cause it is rare) and he is "only" Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers or Russel Wilson or Eli Manning or Brad Johnson or Joe Flacco level. History tells us he has a 50/50 shot of winning just 1 SB in his career if he turns out to be that good. And that could be optimistic.

So if you believe there is a good shot we will have an elite QB in Brady in 2018 we need to capitalize on it cause it is just too huge a difference.

So you make a statement, then when people disagree with you, you state it isn't what they think it is what Bill thinks. Great post!!!!!

Thanks, then why not show yourself out?

The point of this thread is the actual VALUE received at #13 and #33, and what players had/will be there. How long it'll take them to mature, value gained during the 1 year we lose of JG, and if it's all work the risk to TB in the end. You know with actual examples and a little research. Sorry I wasted everyone time.

Has anyone so far actually looked at the picks CLE is rumored to give NE? Well, I'm now saying its two high firsts a 2nd or nothing! BB should take nothing less.

Thanks, then why not show yourself out?

The point of this thread is the actual VALUE received at #13 and #33, and what players had/will be there. How long it'll take them to mature, value gained during the 1 year we lose of JG, and if it's all work the risk to TB in the end. You know with actual examples and a little research. Sorry I wasted everyone time.

Has anyone so far actually looked at the picks CLE is rumored to give NE? Well, I'm now saying its two high firsts a 2nd or nothing! BB should take nothing less.
This has been covered to death in at least three other threads. However, your premise that those picks won't contribute was shown to have been false in the past, you know with a little research.

We have seven picks, no real pressing needs, limited roster space, and, unlike the majority of the other NFL teams, we're pretty good at scouting and developing talent.

If we stand pat, keep Jimmy G, and draft the likes Sidney Jones, Ryan Anderson, Elijah Qualls and some RB's with our late round picks, I'll be happy.

Let Cleveland try and win with a team full of stud DE's and no QB.

Yeah that Sam Darnold dude is gonna be a great Pro QB. What an amazingly clutch performance vs Penn State in the Rose Bowl, as a FRESHMAN ! God knows how good he will be in a few years, but I suspect he's gonna be great.

Jets are going to tank hard for this guy. New York tabloids are already calling it the "Suck for Sam" campaign.

It's not what you or I think JG's impact is worth. The point of the post, is what does BB think JG can do in an emergency. If he feels he's good enough to give NE a reasonable chance to win, he'll need a lot more draft capital in return to pry him loose. So far, all indications point that he's not giving him away as cheap as many expected. I simply posit here an explanation why it might be so.

There's actually TONS of factors that will determine what JG's market value might be

Whether he can be an effective backup QB isn't really one of them - we know he can be by the very fact he is one. And I think with Matt Cassell Belichick proved he can still win even with just an above average QB

But the more important factor is how badly does Cleveland want him and to that notion, these factors come into play.

#1. Is JG deemed better than the best QB in this year's draft? I'd say yes - simply by actually winning in the NFL and playing behind Brady and for BB for 3 years.

In fact you'd have to say that if JG were subject to the draft, with QB being the most important position, he might well go #1 this year, in part because his actual NFL experience (i.e. if Cleveland wants him bad enough, the #1 pick could enter the picture)

#2 Is the Free Agent QB market a good one this year? I'd have to say "No" to that - of course Tony Romo's potential availability is a factor there too. But as of now all the "best" free agent QBs have been snatched up by the Jets, Bears, 49ers and others

All of this leaves Cleveland in a bit of a lurch - at least if they want to spur a quicker turnaround with a veteran QB with every bit if not more the promise of any drafted QB.

The good news - and another factor inflating the market for JG - is the fact that Cleveland has so many 1st and 2nd round picks in the next 2 draft - so it's not like they can't "afford" to part with more picks than they normally might

While we know Belichick isn't above trading up or even using a top 10 or 15 pick, this is a bit of a weak draft and I can see Belichick trading back with any additional 1st or 2nd round picks he might get - as "his" guys are often in the later rounds, or he'd just as soon use those picks in future years when he'll have to fill other roster holes with rookies (there's not a ton of holes on this team - nor a ton of available roster spots)

The bottom line for Cleveland is they desparately need to win now and shore up wavering fan support. Taking a rookie QB in the 2nd round (as most don't rate too much higher) isn't going to invigorate the fan base.

If they wanted to go a different direction than JG they kindof already missed that bus - which only inflates JG's price even MORE!

As far as Belichick valuing JG as a backup, assuming he doesn't think JG is the next Brady and he's keeping him, Belichick is fond of drafting and developing rookie QBs as his main backups for a few reasons - #1 because in years like this they have improved trade value...

But #2 is because an experienced FA backup QB can be $2 - $4 mil a season depending on the team and situation.

When BB "wastes" a 2nd round pick on a backup QB, he might be using a 2nd rounder on a guy no one hopes ever plays - but he's also filling that roster spot with a guy who counts between $.6 and $1 mil on the cap - and that frees up another million or two for a much more important free agent or re-signing

So there's another checkers and chess analogy where Belichick not only saves on the cap, but has a major draft commodity by having a guy like JG on the team thanks to "wasting" his 2nd rounder (really more of an early 3rd but I digress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back