PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you be happy if we came out of pick #3 with Maye or Daniels ?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you be happy if the Pats came out of the draft with Maye or Daniels at #3 ?

• Total voters
I'm reserving judgement for four years and then if the pick works out, I'll say that I was always for it and if it doesn't, I'll say I always wanted [insert other guy].

Its impossible to make an honest judgment until 3 seasons have passed.

Look at Corky Mac. After his inaugural 2021 season folks were getting the champagne ready.
Or Josh Allen who had a rough first couple of years before figuring things out enough to let his physical talent show through.

I'm reserving judgement for four years and then if the pick works out, I'll say that I was always for it and if it doesn't, I'll say I always wanted [insert other guy].
The only exceptions are if you land a Mahomes or Brady.

Then its immediate that you found a special QB.

Or Josh Allen who had a rough first couple of years before figuring things out enough to let his physical talent show through.
My support for Allen is diminishing faster and faster.

He has become a choker.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
If we don’t come out of this draft with Maye, Daniels or McCarthy after a small trade down, it was a massive failure. Flame away, but our offense will likely be somewhat improved. Defense still pretty good. So we are likely gonna turn some of those L’s to W’s. We will not be in the position to pick at 3 again.

We absolutely have to take a QB with our first pick, which kind of narrows the discussion. I'm disappointed that Maye and Daniels chose to not to participate in the combine, as McCarthy really rose based on his testing & throwing that week. From what we do know about all 3 of them, any of them would be an excellent addition to the team - they can throw, run, have good tape, and seem to have good leadership qualities.

But part of any pick is examining the alternatives, which is assessing the delta between Maye/Daniels vs McCarthy, and the extra pick(s) we'd get by taking advantage of our #3 slot. Picking higher doesn't always mean picking better. It boils down to the grades we have on these guys, and whether they're really neck & neck or not. If they are, and we can find a trading partner at 4 or 5, we have to trade down.

If we don’t come out of this draft with Maye, Daniels or McCarthy after a small trade down, it was a massive failure. Flame away, but our offense will likely be somewhat improved. Defense still pretty good. So we are likely gonna turn some of those L’s to W’s. We will not be in the position to pick at 3 again.

We’ll be drafting early again next year and will get our left tackle.

maybe i'm overthinking this... I think we should take a QB only if the one we want is available... I've come to the conclusion that we should not draft the guy we don't want... If the new offense has a plan/scheme they want to implement, and the third QB option does not adequately fill that role, there is no reason the reach... tbh, I am not sold on any of the QB prospects, so maybe that is clouding my judgement...

If that is the case, the three options remaining are
▪ Draft the best LT in the draft
▪ Draft the BPA (Harrison jr?)
▪ Trade #3

The question is though, what will you get for #3? Is it worth it to pass over what could very well be two foundational pieces in LT Alt or WR Harrison, who could be here for years to come...
It's hard enough to find a QB without limiting your options. When it comes to QBs, if there's a guy you believe can become top 10 in the league, you get him and adapt your scheme.

Definitely Maye, would be very upset if we picked Daniels. Based on all the scouting reports and video I have seen, he does not have the NFL arm to make the intermediate throws which are so important in today's game. Maye however has enough arm for any and all throws, he will need to sit Year 1, but if brought up the right way can be a star.

While I understand the desire to trade down, a QB is by far the hardest position to find and serves as the foundation of any elite team. We just can't pass up the opportunity in this draft class, which has really high end talent at QB.

I'm more of a Maye guy than a Daniels guy, mainly because I think Maye is a better fit for their new scheme and because he's a couple years younger. I could see Daniels ultimately working out, though - he has improved his game every year so who's to say he wouldn't adapt to this scheme and be great?

I do also like McCarthy, and pick 3 feels like a reach, but if they took him because they really love him then I would be fine with that too.

My only concern with Daniel’s is fitting in tight throws over the middle of the field, and that’s only because I didn’t see him do much of that. Maye is similar to McCarthy in that he has all the tools he just needs to perfect them at a pro level. My issue with McCarthy is that he is almost all projection of what he could be, unlike Maye or Daniels he hasn’t shown the production to be a high pick. Ultimately I would be happy with any of them because next years class s considered to be terrible at QB, which means there will likely only be one or two blue chip prospects at best, so if they aren’t picking first or second then they would have to give up three first rounders to go get one, and you won’t get one in free agency, because teams don’t let franchise WB’s hit the market. If they don’t hit on QB in this draft then it could be years before they get another shot at one.

It's hard enough to find a QB without limiting your options. When it comes to QBs, if there's a guy you believe can become top 10 in the league, you get him and adapt your scheme.
right, play to the strengths of the player. sound advice.

But if you have a choice, you take the guy that best fits what you want to do, to accomplish...

His rookie year was rough. 2nd year was unspectacular but clearly showed marked improvement.

His growth as a passer and adding Diggs and Gabe Davis really put him over the top.

His rookie year was rough. 2nd year was unspectacular but clearly showed marked improvement.

His growth as a passer and adding Diggs and Gabe Davis really put him over the top.
So you’re saying having a great WR makes any QB instantly better….

I agree, none of these QBs I think will have much stay in the NFL, take the sure thing and draft Harrison Jr. Let he and Jacoby become BFFs! While they are at it, go ahead and draft Jerry Rice’s kid in the later rounds.

Nobody ever heard of Maye until AFTER he was done playing.

I’d be thrilled with Maye. I’m skeptical of Daniels, but I’m trying to talk myself into him because I think there’s about a 50% chance he will be our quarterback.

I like McCarthy, but I realize there’s a lot more projection with him. A couple of months ago, when he was being talked about being drafted much later, I liked the idea of trading back for him. That doesn’t seem realistic now.
I do not want Daniels. Too slight of build, an arm that's barely stronger than Mac Jones' (he had exceptional talent at WR at LSU that were always open which is why he could throw deep as often as he did, not because of arm strength). And, unless he gets up to at least 225 pounds at 6'4 (if he is that tall) and doesn't loose any speed, quickness, and agility (Lamar is 215 at 6'2), he's going to get hammered. I know I'll get flak for this, but, as "exciting" as Lamar is, how many SB's has he won or even played in? The same does hold true for Josh Allen, but how he's been used has been downright criminal. And even if he does eventually win one, so did Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Joe Flacco. So what? Despite whatever passing stats that he has, there's a reason why people joke that he's a RB that throws the football on occasion. It probably is a moot point anyway, as the "Ghost" of BB will probably trade back from #3 anyway.

Last edited:
I do not want Daniels. Too slight of build, an arm that's barely stronger than Mac Jones' (he had exceptional talent at WR at LSU that were always open which is why he could throw deep as often as he did, not because of arm strength). And, unless he gets up to at least 225 pounds at 6'4 (if he is that tall) and doesn't loose any speed, quickness, and agility (Lamar is 215 at 6'2), he's going to get hammered. I know I'll get flak for this, but, as "exciting" as Lamar is, how many SB's has he won or even played in? The same does hold true for Josh Allen, but how he's been used has been downright criminal. And even if he does eventually win one, so did Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Joe Flacco. So what? Despite whatever passing stats that he has, there's a reason why people joke that he's a RB that throws the football on occasion.

His build is concerning especially considering for how much he runs. He was listed at 209, but he doesn’t look it. At the Heisman award show, he’s next to MHJ, Penix, and Nix. By comparison he didn’t look over 200. His shoulders and hips are so narrow.

Like you said, he played with exceptional talent. Through his first four years (all starting), he wasn’t considered an early round pick. He was great last year and put up huge numbers, but the talent he played with was crazy. His OL was named in the top four in the nation and he had the best receiving corps in the country. When he sat out the bowl game, his backup threw for 395 yards and 3 touchdowns.

His build is concerning especially considering for how much he runs. He was listed at 209, but he doesn’t look it. At the Heisman award show, he’s next to MHJ, Penix, and Nix. By comparison he didn’t look over 200. His shoulders and hips are so narrow.

Like you said, he played with exceptional talent. Through his first four years (all starting), he wasn’t considered an early round pick. He was great last year and put up huge numbers, but the talent he played with was crazy. His OL was named in the top four in the nation and he had the best receiving corps in the country. When he sat out the bowl game, his backup threw for 395 yards and 3 touchdowns.
And Maye (who's been unjustly compared to Trubitski, who was ruined by the Bears anyway), played with only 1 decent receiver and had a horrible OL, which got worse in his second and less impressive season as a starter.

As the question states, yes or no ? I know there are a bunch of people who want the Pats to trade down. Some want MHJ at #3. Me personally, I’d be thrilled with either Maye or Daniels at #3.
Is this a trick question?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back