PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

This is one of the most amazing/baffling roster storylines.
With coverage being 50% of D success (across different data analytics fwiw - rush and run stop at about 25%) it is just baffling that at least 1/3 of the league is in similar situation re quality of their secondary.

Listening to draftnicks raving about quality and depth of DB classes every year one would expect the “influx“ was more than enough.
So, is it about NFL rules, schemes, coaching, overhyping DB talent?

Patriots DB drafting was arguably worst and most frustrating aspect of roster building over the last 10y so we've seen the agony of 2nd round DB talent first hand. Some might argue some were overdrafted but that's beside the point. Most of your personal second round binkies followed similar path tbh.

Patriots invested 7 (seven!) 2nd round picks over the period of 10 years (2011-2020) on DBs - some were even trade ups - and Dugger is the closest to a starter among all of them.

The difference is Patriots didn't shy away to invest significant other resources to field at least competent secondary.

Bill understands huge importance of secondary so he was always willing to spend there to compensate for draft busts. And also spend time and personnel resources to finding and developing cheaper talent. UDFA hits like Butler, JJ, JC and some others were key to sustaining competent at times even elite secondary. Durability of vets like D-Mac and Chung as well.

Without Gilmore Patriots starting CBs are composed of 2 UDFAs and #233 pick (Mills) - so essentially 3 udfas.
The irony is this is still above average secondary in this league and with Gilmore borderline elite.
The depth is sorely missing though - none of the 4 young DBs showed progress over the last 2 years - so Bill had to trade again last minute to give the team at least a chance for some serviceable depth. Hopefully it works out and doesn't come to haunt them as well.

Of those 10, the 5 in whom I would have interest are QB Duck Hodges as eventual Stidham competition; FB Nick Bawden (a draftable prospect, though we seem to have the FB position covered); DB Grayland Arnold as a backup Slot option & competition vs Myles Bryant; and especially C/G Lamont Gaillard as an Immediate Upgrayedd for Thanksdad Ferentz...

EDIT: Also adding WR/Returner Connor Wedington after further research, though his career ypc at Stanford as a receiver is not NFL-worthy.

Never heard of the two TEs or of the other DB Moon...Eldrenkamp's just a camp body; and Vaeao's a 3-tech, of whom we have enough here already.

Last edited:
Of those 10, the 4 in whom I would have interest are QB Duck Hodges, FB Nick Bawden, DB Grayland Arnold & especially C Lamont Gaillard as competition for Thanksdad Ferentz...

I advocated strongly for Gaillard in late rounds of that draft and id definitely bring him on instead of son Ferentz as soon as Andrews is ok to play.
Weddington is very good returner and had 6.66 cone . so its sign the beast i guess :)

“It’s the most important thing. I always like to say, stop the run and have some fun,” Godchaux said. “Everybody wants the pass rush. Everybody wants to get sacks. I mean, you really got to stop the run… That’s a mentality of ours – stopping the run... That’s the first thing that comes to mind when you talk about playing football and talk about a tough team. You can’t be a tough team if you don’t stop the run.”

This year, the team will have running back James White, center David Andrews, linebacker Dont’a Hightower, safety Devin McCourty and special teamer Matthew Slater serve as their captains. All five players have been captains in New England before. This year marks the 11th season as captains for McCourty and Slater. This is the fifth year for Andrews and fourth season for both Hightower and White as captains.

This year, the team will have running back James White, center David Andrews, linebacker Dont’a Hightower, safety Devin McCourty and special teamer Matthew Slater serve as their captains. All five players have been captains in New England before. This year marks the 11th season as captains for McCourty and Slater. This is the fifth year for Andrews and fourth season for both Hightower and White as captains.

As it should be...I might've added Lawrence Guy too, but that's it.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back