PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
quick question:

I know Gilmore is out for the first 6 games. My question is, when can he come back and practice? I know the IR guys can practice for a couple of weeks before they come off IR, but what about the PUP guys?

Ok, so he is huge and you don’t want to run AT him, but I didn’t see him move the LoS after the snap.

They just single-manned him & ran to the other gap and picked up 6-8. announcers said he is ‚athletic ‚ for a ‚ man his size ‚ but in just 2 plays, I don’t see it.

quick question:

I know Gilmore is out for the first 6 games. My question is, when can he come back and practice? I know the IR guys can practice for a couple of weeks before they come off IR, but what about the PUP guys?
Ken,I believe they can practice right away. They dont HAVE to- you get x # of weeks
before youre required to. ( can't remember how many)
Gilmore should be activated right away. Id think his quad would be ready to go. Reiss reinforced what ive been saying all along: this is NOT about his contract- hes still recovering. Yes the contract is an issue-but not the reason hes out. Hes been front and center and very vocal in all the meetings,coaching up his teammates and again and again, front and center at the teams charity event. You dont do that stuff if youre holding out.

What y’all think?

Bama > everyone. I love stuff like this. NDSU for example has has more QB success than most big schools.
Uh oh; we have LBs (H. To’o To’o) catching passes in Tuscaloosa. BB is on edge..
I love this kid. Smart prospect that plays very fast. Silly closing speed. Talker pre snap. Can flow, attack straight line through traffic. Bama recruited him hard!! They wanted him bad and finally got in. He belongs there. Him and Harris will be top 50-64 picks

I love Evan but that site runs like sh+t sometimes lol. He's good though. Few thoughts ...

1)Agree on Covid & Cam. I made this point right away. The idea that Bill didn't know about Cam's status is laughable. First off Bill isn't pushing anyone to get it or not get it. He just has to know to be prepared af. Cam missing a few days just showed how unreliable he was in general. That was a deal breaker. Certainly not if the staff really believed in Cam. If Bill, Josh & co thought Cam was QB1 or any good he'd be here.

2)Jones won the job late in the game after outperforming Cam, doing the little things that really matter. Teammates having outspoken about Mac. It's clear when we watch him. Pre-snap, accuracy all 3 levels, ability to deliver with touch & placement - Cam was what you call stick n shoot, he has to really see it before firing with almost no touch. This was more than evident with short/intermediate stuff, 10-15 yards. This was a different offense under Cam. Watching both play only highlighted it.

3)This is exactly what I wrote a few weeks ago. Even though Jones would get a little red in the face showing his frustration he excelled in practice when literally all eyes were on him. Cam didn't go the extra mile here in terms of QB play. Great attitude, good guy, good teammate but he never took the steps on the field. Jones won the job fair and square even if it took Cam tripping over himself for Bill to make the decision. It was clear to everyone else.

4)I love how Evan put Jones ceiling at Matt Ryan while telling people to chill with expectations. Ryan is a HOF even if people don't know it yet. Ryan will walk away with 60K + yards & 400 + TDs, former MVP/OPOY/OROYwhile playing for a semi-dysfunctional team. He's a great QB.

5)Minshew would have been a great backup here, man. What a dude.

6)I would have loved Juilo Jones but think this group of targets is as good as any in our division if we're healthy. Two top ten TE's, one of the better running games in the league & 3 above average WR's that are pretty versatile. Mac excelled at picking apart the MOF in college and we happen to have a bunch of guys that can do work there. I agree with Evan that this is the group we're riding with year one. Plenty to work, great line, great coaching. Let's get back in the fight and reassess after the year.

7)Thinking about getting Hoss tattooed in a sleeve I'm doing. I really like aesthetic and don't care if people think it's silly. I'm a construction work and love football. Idk thinking of ideas and if it mixes right maybe. If KC losers are flipping about WASP I'm reppin Hoss.

I was just talking to Kontra about him and a few other guys weeks ago. Kid is an absolute monster. Doesn't have a ton of bad weight but enough, long way to go but definitely someone to keep an eye on. What a monster.

Ken,I believe they can practice right away. They dont HAVE to- you get x # of weeks
before youre required to. ( can't remember how many)
Gilmore should be activated right away. Id think his quad would be ready to go. Reiss reinforced what ive been saying all along: this is NOT about his contract- hes still recovering. Yes the contract is an issue-but not the reason hes out. Hes been front and center and very vocal in all the meetings,coaching up his teammates and again and again, front and center at the teams charity event. You dont do that stuff if youre holding out.
So hypothetically whenever he is healthy enough, he can start to practice. It's just that he can't play in a game until week 7.

BTW- I agree that the fact he isn't starting the season ISN'T about his contract, but his health. The Pats aren't going to address the contract issue BEFORE Gilmore proves he is healthy. When that happens the issue will be addressed, or maybe the Pats and Gilmore agreed that missing more than a third of the season will mean he will be OK with playing for the $7MM, plus 2-3MM more in incentives (either health or team success oriented.

20-29 / 268 / 2 & 1

I don't think this is correct. They can't practice for 6 weeks (but can take part in team meetings). After 6 weeks the team has a 5-week window for the player to start practicing, and once they start practising the team has a 3 week window to decide whether to activate the player or not.

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be moved to the reserve/PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[1]

Other than being 400 lbs, what was impressive? He got no push on that guard and couldn't break free to get over to make a play and then he gave up and kind watched.

Other than being 400 lbs, what was impressive? He got no push on that guard and couldn't break free to get over to make a play and then he gave up and kind watched.
The fact that he was 400 pounds..

So hypothetically whenever he is healthy enough, he can start to practice. It's just that he can't play in a game until week 7.

BTW- I agree that the fact he isn't starting the season ISN'T about his contract, but his health. The Pats aren't going to address the contract issue BEFORE Gilmore proves he is healthy. When that happens the issue will be addressed, or maybe the Pats and Gilmore agreed that missing more than a third of the season will mean he will be OK with playing for the $7MM, plus 2-3MM more in incentives (either health or team success oriented.
To clarify, he can be activated after 6 weeks- then can practice and play. So game 7 is likely his return. But you dont have to activate him right away- you have several weeks after the 6 weeks to activate him or hes lost for the season. Of course Pats would want him right away. But its a great rule change.

I don't think this is correct. They can't practice for 6 weeks (but can take part in team meetings). After 6 weeks the team has a 5-week window for the player to start practicing, and once they start practising the team has a 3 week window to decide whether to activate the player or not.
No you misunderstood my post- or I wasnt clear enough. He cant practice until he gets activated. So right after game 6 he could practice that week and play in game 7

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back