PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Hey @BaconGrundleCandy. I hope all is well bro. I know this is extremely early, but what are your thoughts regarding UNC QB Drake Maye? Love his size, demeanor & tape, but he’s very young/raw. Have you even begun to evaluate him? Thanks!
Yup. He's one of reasons I'm going to keep doing this another year or two. Next years QB class could be excellent.

I love Maye's mechanics. He's just very efficient and consistent.

Most QB's in college and pros are lifting that back foot off the ground for power. He keeps the needle on the record for no scratches. I mean that's sweet footwork for a 60+ yard drop in bucket opposite hash. Love his back foot and release. Very snappy. Great follow-through.

Big time throws like the one above. You'll hear that a lot next year bc he just makes it routine. Just a lot of game changing passes. He would have been QB1 this year by a decent deal.

So much poise. Can extend plays with his legs or improv. Just very "in the moment, in the play" Again just a ton of big plays and passes. Like some of the most in the last decade.

Little stuff is easy. Great set up and footwork here but peep his head. He looks at Downs for like a quarter of a second quick glance before going his way. Great footwork though. Back peddling and stair step to move forward. That's textbook stuff you practice @patfanken

He's got what you call arm talent. Great placement (low and away, high near pylon, back shoulder etc) general accuracy, touch (layering, feathering, little change up), can generate some nice gas, smooth release and arm angle. He's got a nice whip man. Can make any throw with the bells and whistles.

His placement, easy gas and release stand out though. Look at where he can put the ball.

Oh ..... yup. He's from 2023!

He'll be in play for QB1, 1st overall pick with Williams. Depending on who actually gets the pick, either is worthy.

In retrospect, should we thank Seattle DT Cortez Kennedy for the eventual emergence of Tom Brady? Haha..

Don't get that. Something upthread?
I was sort of jokingly referring to the fact that Kennedy was the DPOY in 1992, playing on one of the worst (2-14) teams (especially offensively) in the league that season; with NE (2-14) being the other. Kennedy was dominant, with 3 sacks that game; with SEA winning a close 10-6 slugfest. Maybe if NE won that game, they would not have gotten the number 1 pick in 1993 (Bledsoe), while SEA drafted Rick Mirer. Well, we all know how the rest of the NE story goes..

I was sort of jokingly referring to the fact that Kennedy was the DPOY in 1992, playing on one of the worst (2-14) teams (especially offensively) in the league that season; with NE (2-14) being the other. Kennedy was dominant, with 3 sacks that game; with SEA winning a close 10-6 slugfest. Maybe if NE won that game, they would not have gotten the number 1 pick in 1993 (Bledsoe), while SEA drafted Rick Mirer. Well, we all know how the rest of the NE story goes..

Wow! That's a real "butterfly wing" story!

Better to be thought of as a zero than to take that number and remove all doubt

Any thoughts on Max Duggan? I'm kind of curious about him as a developmental prospect. He reportedly grades highly from a processing/football IQ standpoint.

Any thoughts on Max Duggan? I'm kind of curious about him as a developmental prospect. He reportedly grades highly from a processing/football IQ standpoint.
I like him from a character, development standpoint but not someone I'm making moves for.

*side note*
Talked to someone I really respect the other night about the Pats draft and a few prospects. We both were in a agreement that Cam Smith is a more polished Jack Jones. Both need to add strength but are physical and fiesty. Smith is probably a little more versatile and physical but the similarities are there in spades. I would prefer a true boundary but Smith would improve this secondary day 1 and contribute year 1. He won't put up Jones INT #'s but very similar players/prospects imo.

I like him from a character, development standpoint but not someone I'm making moves for.

*side note*
Talked to someone I really respect the other night about the Pats draft and a few prospects. We both were in a agreement that Cam Smith is a more polished Jack Jones. Both need to add strength but are physical and fiesty. Smith is probably a little more versatile and physical but the similarities are there in spades. I would prefer a true boundary but Smith would improve this secondary day 1 and contribute year 1. He won't put up Jones INT #'s but very similar players/prospects imo.

So would I... Which is Exactly why I'm not even considering him with our first pick, wherever that might end-up being.

If he falls to 46? Maybe.

Yeah, same. I like him as a guy maybe in the 3rd or 4th to take and develop. With Jones’ situation being a little uncertain it might make sense to have two QBs on rookie deals developing that you can possibly turn to if needed. NE has three 4ths so worth a flier there IMO.

Yeah, same. I like him as a guy maybe in the 3rd or 4th to take and develop. With Jones’ situation being a little uncertain it might make sense to have two QBs on rookie deals developing that you can possibly turn to if needed. NE has three 4ths so worth a flier there IMO.
I could be tempted at Hooker in the 2nd but think he'll go late 1. I've always been a fan of Daniels so when I saw this I smiled. 20230329_201240.jpg

I would be tempted to go DTR (Dorian Thompson-Robinson) after or late RD2 trading up after we used 46 on a non-QB. Or Tune, Hall or Mckee in the 4th.

I could be tempted at Hooker in the 2nd but think he'll go late 1. I've always been a fan of Daniels so when I saw this I smiled. View attachment 50696

I would be tempted to go DTR (Dorian Thompson-Robinson) after or late RD2 trading up after we used 46 on a non-QB. Or Tune, Hall or Mckee in the 4th.
Agree, I really like Hooker as a guy who needs a couple years on the bench and could be great but I think he's gonna be taken in the late 1st or high 2nd... He's still recovering from that ACL. Daniels is interesting to me also, kinda makes me think of Kellen Mond who I also liked but obviously he hasn't done much yet in the pros. McKee has prototypical size, nothing really wows me there beyond that but I'd be fine with him also.

Left Tackle
<said in Belichick “Seattle” voice>

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back