PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Cyrus Jones make this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was between Cyrus Jones and Ras Dowling he might have a chance.

But seriously wth do I know? He looks terrible to An average Joe like me. One thing I've learned is to try not to judge a player before all the coaching and experience is applied. Bill usually finds out what their strengths are and maximizes the potential for that player to succeed.

However, this is one instance where I just dont see any improvement to his sophomore year. He looks terrible at kickoffs, terrible on defense to me but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe a confidence issue, not sure, maybe he practices really well and needs to work on his jitters and mental mistakes? Belichick knows what he's got and will do what's best for the team.

I think I have a bit of Cyrus in me. I am an unbelievable pool player.. on my own
table. In public or anywhere where people might be watching? I get nerved up
and can't put my best foot forward. I suspect poor Cyrus and I have something
in common.

I think I have a bit of Cyrus in me. I am an unbelievable pool player.. on my own
table. In public or anywhere where people might be watching? I get nerved up
and can't put my best foot forward. I suspect poor Cyrus and I have something
in common.

I can play pool unbelievably - ANYWHERE - if I've had enough bourbon.

If no, who is he kick returner, Amendola?

Why don't we convert him to wide receiver. He's always "wide open".

The Patriots leave their corners on an island during the regular season and they typically use the preseason to assess a player's strengths and weaknesses. The safety looked like he had man coverage on that play and had another assignment. Jones was man to man with his guy and just got absolutely torched. And, even if he WAS expecting safety help, as a corner you're not supposed to be 8 yards behind your man on the 9-route. That was absolutely on him and it was embarrassing to watch. I can't even imagine what it was like for him to actually live it knowing how bad his rookie season went.

Torched is too strong if you a referring to the first TD he let go. If he plays the receiver instead of the ball (a.k.a. M. Butler) he doesn't give up a TD and has a chance of making it an incompletion by disrupting the catch. But he held tight coverage until he looked up for the ball. So in my opinion it's something he can correct.

The second TD he played an inside leverage or shade technique which requires safety help over the top. But I agree he was slow transitioning from his backpedal to his trail. It looks like he watched to ensure neither of the backs were coming out for a screen too long. (Maybe you could help me on that one. I'm not exactly sure what his responsibility would be in that case)

upload_2017-8-12_21-55-46.png

Original formation.. The backs didn't follow the red lines drawn but wanted to note that he may have been looking for that before trailing.

upload_2017-8-12_21-55-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-12_21-28-6.png
    upload_2017-8-12_21-28-6.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 2
Jones is gone. Mark my words. He refused to talk to his teammates after each of HIS four gaffes. He refused to talk to the press. He's been sulking all preseason in camp. I think it's a matter of the Adalius Thomas effect. Jones is born and raised in Baltimore. He's a natural Patriot HATER and now that's things have gone sideways he's showing his intent to be a large negative in the clubhouse. He wants out and they should move him.

Jones is gone. Mark my words. He refused to talk to his teammates after each of HIS four gaffes. He refused to talk to the press. He's been sulking all preseason in camp. I think it's a matter of the Adalius Thomas effect. Jones is born and raised in Baltimore. He's a natural Patriot HATER and now that's things have gone sideways he's showing his intent to be a large negative in the clubhouse. He wants out and they should move him.
Trade him to Cleveland for a conditional 7th rounder

Trade him to Cleveland for a conditional 7th rounder

I'd say the Bengals..that way he could not only play his favorite team twice a season, he could lay down on pass routes like he did the other night and Lewis won't give a shyt.

Isn't one of the touchstones of the Patriots roster philosophy to assess players purely on the basis of their performance and not on their draft position?

He refused to talk to his teammates after each of HIS four gaffes. He refused to talk to the press. He's been sulking all preseason in camp.

Are you talking about after Thursday night's game? I went looking for reports about this and didn't find any. What's your source?

... now that's things have gone sideways he's showing his intent to be a large negative in the clubhouse. He wants out and they should move him.

Was this also reported somewhere, or are you just making an assumption?

I feel sorry for the guy. Unlike Joe UDFA, he has a high profile because of his draft rank. I know that at 22 or so if I was visibly and totally failing at my chosen career it would not help my mindset to have millions of people watching me fail and deriding my inept efforts. As close to unrecoverable mentally as you can get.
Pats would be doing him a favor trading him for a conditional 7th or something. Fresh start with less visible pressure.
That said, I'd give him at least 2 more pre-season game looks hoping for a pony.

I can play pool unbelievably - ANYWHERE - if I've had enough bourbon.

Ah, you're a better man than me then. I am lethal on my home turf.

It doesn't bode well for my dream to become a pro someday even though

my instructor told me point blank i had the talent.

Are you talking about after Thursday night's game? I went looking for reports about this and didn't find any. What's your source?

Eye witness present at the game...ME.

I think anyone who thinks they know who is and isnt making the team is probably wrong. That being said, Cyrus was a reach and BB isnt afraid to cut bait on anyone

I feel sorry for the guy. Unlike Joe UDFA, he has a high profile because of his draft rank. I know that at 22 or so if I was visibly and totally failing at my chosen career it would not help my mindset to have millions of people watching me fail and deriding my inept efforts. As close to unrecoverable mentally as you can get.
Pats would be doing him a favor trading him for a conditional 7th or something. Fresh start with less visible pressure.
That said, I'd give him at least 2 more pre-season game looks hoping for a pony.

Here's the thing, though.

I don't know for a fact that the Pats are trying to develop Cy Jones into even a regular rotational CB at the moment. Probably when they drafted him, they thought he could develop into one eventually, and the coaches may still think so, for all I know. But, right now, there really may not be anywhere near as much pressure of expectations coming at him from the coaches as there is from the fans, many of whom see him only as "SECOND ROUND PICK Cyrus Jones".

Another thing is that I've only seen Cyrus deployed in the RCB role and on the inside - never at LCB. Rowe and Ryan switched back and forth in the RCB/"slot" roles for awhile last season, with Ryan eventually becoming mostly the inside guy, it seems to me.

Anyway, guys who can cover the boundary well on the right side of the defense have historically been tough to come by for the Pats, especially those who can do so without safety help over the top. Learning the footwork and body-positioning that are exactly the reverse of what the LCB does is not something that every CB excels at, apparently.

Ryan was pretty good at RCB (though he wasn't left on an island all that often, IIRC, and Rowe seems pretty good. Gilmore seems very good, and he's also been pretty good at LCB and sometimes even on the inside - a relatively rare positional versatility.

So, the coaches may merely be looking for Jones to become an "adequate" injury-backup RCB (with consistent deep safety help) this season.

Obviously, what the coaches are actually thinking is a total unknown to me, since I'm not a mind reader.

Eye witness present at the game...ME.

So, you were there on the sidelines and know for a fact that he refused to speak to his teammates? Is that something that no other Pats player ever does or ever has done after a bad play?

Was he required to speak with the media after the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes