PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Cyrus Jones make this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is going to need Devine intervention in order to make the team.

There's no way in hell that was all on the safety.
Jones got beat cleanly on both those deep balls, from the first few steps of the route.

He was horrible but I would still let him have the opportunity at redemption these next 3 games. I ultimately do not believe he will make the cut, but maybe he will learn to play around his limitations by using a bigger cushion etc.

Bad st play is one thing, but we didn't spend a second round pick for horrible defensive play as well.

If it was between Cyrus Jones and Ras Dowling he might have a chance.

But seriously wth do I know? He looks terrible to An average Joe like me. One thing I've learned is to try not to judge a player before all the coaching and experience is applied. Bill usually finds out what their strengths are and maximizes the potential for that player to succeed.

However, this is one instance where I just dont see any improvement to his sophomore year. He looks terrible at kickoffs, terrible on defense to me but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe a confidence issue, not sure, maybe he practices really well and needs to work on his jitters and mental mistakes? Belichick knows what he's got and will do what's best for the team.

Watch him somehow bounce back and make a crucial play in an important game. It would make this thread look ridiculous. :D

If it was between Cyrus Jones and Ras Dowling he might have a chance.

But seriously wth do I know? He looks terrible to An average Joe like me. One thing I've learned is to try not to judge a player before all the coaching and experience is applied. Bill usually finds out what their strengths are and maximizes the potential for that player to succeed.

However, this is one instance where I just dont see any improvement to his sophomore year. He looks terrible at kickoffs, terrible on defense to me but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe a confidence issue, not sure, maybe he practices really well and needs to work on his jitters and mental mistakes? Belichick knows what he's got and will do what's best for the team.

Dowling looked good before injuries torpedoed his career. Jones just sucks in general, based on everything we've seen to date.

The only real hope at this point is that a large portion of it seems mental, and he wouldn't be the first guy to get his head on straight and become a productive player. I don't think it'll happen, but it could.

Weaknesses: Jones definitely is on the small side for an NFL cornerback, which might force teams to slide him inside to the slot, where he doesn’t have much experience. He gave up 39 catches on 68 targets for 497 yards with six touchdowns and two interceptions in 2015. He allowed 10 touchdowns in his final two years in college, and that’s on the high side for a top cornerback prospect. He “plays very well between lapses,” however, according to Pro Football Focus.

Read more at: 2016 NFL Draft Profile: Cyrus Jones Possesses Upside At Corner, Punt Returner

Long way to go, but CJ gave up too many plays in college and after a year working with him,the problem persists. He looks small and slow on the outside, which is just about the only place he has played. If drafting him was strike 1, and keeping him over Leblanc was strike 2, he could be running out of chances. Even if the coaches suddenly get his head right and he finds his return game, what are we gonna do with a DB who can't cover?

I was kind of surprised they didn't cut him yesterday.

I think it would be good for patriot's morale if they cut richards and jones asap. Like 5 minutes ago. Play well, get rewarded. Play poorly, you're out the door.

Must be disheartening as an udfa rookie to lose playing time to guys who wouldn't play in an indoor league.

As a special teamer only for the time being. I have no idea if he will ever play in a skill position with this team again. It doesn't seem that his college skills translated very well into the big league. All in all, pretty disappointing at this point.

He seems to have mentally disintegrated. As we have good CB depth i think he is on his way. May just need a fresh start as so much baggage!

I was kind of surprised they didn't cut him yesterday.

You're surprised that Belichick didn't cut a 2nd rounder in his second pre-season for the first time since he arrived?

There have been really bad defensive backs that Belichick has given a full second season to develop.

In any case, C Jones does have some value, as a kick returner.

Jones is the 8th or 9th DB (along with Richards). That place in the depth chart doesn't require much for a highly drafted player who can play special teams. And, Jones may be OK in the future as a backup safety. Were do need one of those.

me during 2001 preseason:

"Man, that Dane Looker just got his 3rd TD of the day. He looks like a monster!"

Result: Cut a couple days later

Me during the 1999 or 2000 preseason:

"Man, Tony Gaiter is a lethal returner"

Result: Cut after fumbling repeatedly.

List of people not playing NFL football in 2017 and onwards:

Myself
Tebow
Manzel
Cyrus Jones
Jordan Richards

Holy ****. It's the first week of the preseason. Can't wait for the game day threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down