PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Cyrus Jones make this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably should have specified that they weren't going to move Richards to deep safety over trying someone else out. That actually speaks volumes to how bad Richards is.

I don't know why anyone would even consider Richards at deep cover safety. He seems as appropriate for that role as Chung was (not) in Philly.

I agree not everyone is a superstar but clearly we are better at drafting some positions than others. It's not just random. And my point was we suck at drafting defensive backs and we have wasted a lot of high picks on them.

Let's look at our OL picks from rounds 1-4 since 2009 (I added Cannon 5th rounder as well)

2016 - 3rd round Joe Thuney
2015 - 4th round Tre' Jackson
2015 - 4th round Shaq Mason
2014 - 4th round Bryan Stork
2014 - 4th round Cameron Fleming
2013 - none
2012 - none
2011 - 1st round Nate Solder
2011 - 5th round Marcus Cannon
2010 - none
2009 - 2nd round Sebastian Vollmer

I mean the only one here who didn't really work was Tre Jackson. This is a tremendous hit rate. Compare this to the garbage success rate we have with defensive backs.

I don't understand how you can call Wilson or Butler (who both outlasted their rookie contracts in the league) busts but put Stork or Fleming on a success list ?

If you wanna go back that far how about adding DMac, Chung, Harmon, Butler, Ryan to the list of successfully drafted DBs ? Add in players like Roberts or KGH who were drafted by the Pats but couldnt find space on the initial 53 and you have even more NFL quality kids that were identified by the team.

I don't know why anyone would even consider Richards at deep cover safety. He seems as appropriate for that role as Chung was (not) in Philly.

I don't think Richards has any role on this team. He's even too slow to come down into the box and cover and gets swallowed up by OL blocking at the second level. He MAY make it another year on this team just on smarts alone but his role would be a very small one. If I had to guess, I would say he's probably cut this year.

I'll ask you the same question I asked Ken: How do you know it was the safety, and not Jones, that made the wrong read for sure?

On both those TD receptions, Jones was clearly on an island.

Jones was rarely left on an island in college. The Pats have had a full Camp/pre-season and a full regular season of practices to "test" leaving him on an island, so why would they be doing that last night?

It seems to make sense to me that they'd more likely be testing the read and adjustment capabilities of rookie deep safety candidates.

Jones was rarely left on an island in college. The Pats have had a full Camp/pre-season and a full regular season of practices to "test" leaving him on an island, so why would they be doing that last night?

It seems to make sense to me that they'd more likely be testing the read and adjustment capabilities of rookie deep safety candidates.

Because it makes much more sense to test him on an island (especially if they're planning on playing him at nickel corner) in a "real" game situation (that has zero negative consequences on seeding) than in practice. In the end, none of us has any clue who really blew that assignment but Jones certainly was not in good position on either of them. He also was not in good position on the DPI call.

I don't think Richards has any role on this team. He's even too slow to come down into the box and cover and gets swallowed up by OL blocking at the second level. He MAY make it another year on this team just on smarts alone but his role would be a very small one. If I had to guess, I would say he's probably cut this year.

To be replaced by which rookie candidate as a backup safety?

To be replaced by which rookie candidate as a backup safety?

The team would likely be able to pick someone up off the scrap heap after the first or second round of cuts that would be better than Richards. That's how bad he is.

I don't care what anybody say's, Jones had terrible coverage on the second long TD as well. He may have had safety help, but I don't believe there is a coverage called that has the corner running by himself down the sideline with a receiver 10 yards in front of him.

I don't fully get why they are playing him on the outside anyway. He has the speed, body and toughness to be a good replacement for Ryan in the slot. The only thing I can come up with is that he doesn't have the brains that Ryan had to play inside competently.

I don't fully get why they are playing him on the outside anyway. He has the speed, body and toughness to be a good replacement for Ryan in the slot. The only thing I can come up with is that he doesn't have the brains that Ryan had to play inside competently.

My best guess is that, should injuries occur with Gilmore and Butler, he would be the next man up to play on the outside. But, again, that's just a guess.

He lacks the speed to play outside and lacks the quickness to play in the slot.

The Patriots have just done terribly drafting from the top few rounds the last several years.

How do you know it was the fault of the safety, Ken? Genuinely curious. I wasn't sure whether the safety or Jones blew the assignment on that play (see my post before this one).
Fair enough - Just looking at the way Jones acted during the play. First it was clearly not a man to man coverage. It looked to me like Jones had the underneath zone, while a safety was supposed to rotate to cover the deep outside. When it didn't happen Jones was left holding the bag as the WR ran by him.

It was something like the Gilmore play against Hogan last year, where Hogan runs by him and Gilmore appears to wonder where the safety help is , and thus it looks like Hogan blows by Gilmore and he is the one that got beat.

So it is one of those things where either the safety or Jones got the coverage wrong. Clearly Jones felt he had Safety help over the top. The point being he wasn't beat by the WR per say like he was in the first case. Though he probably should have jammed the receiver on that route.

The thing is that WE don't know for sure and I reacted to the almost gleeful response by the mediots to continue to jump on Cyrus as the target their wrath. It was the typical actions of the mediots to over hype the Pats during the run up to the game, while at the same time clearly enjoying (rather than reporting) pointing out any and all flaws after the fact. It rubbed me the wong way.

Fair enough - Just looking at the way Jones acted during the play. First it was clearly not a man to man coverage. It looked to me like Jones had the underneath zone, while a safety was supposed to rotate to cover the deep outside. When it didn't happen Jones was left holding the bag as the WR ran by him.

It was something like the Gilmore play against Hogan last year, where Hogan runs by him and Gilmore appears to wonder where the safety help is , and thus it looks like Hogan blows by Gilmore and he is the one that got beat.

So it is one of those things where either the safety or Jones got the coverage wrong. Clearly Jones felt he had Safety help over the top. The point being he wasn't beat by the WR per say like he was in the first case. Though he probably should have jammed the receiver on that route.

The thing is that WE don't know for sure and I reacted to the almost gleeful response by the mediots to continue to jump on Cyrus as the target their wrath. It was the typical actions of the mediots to over hype the Pats during the run up to the game, while at the same time clearly enjoying (rather than reporting) pointing out any and all flaws after the fact. It rubbed me the wong way.

Oh, okay. I thought you had detailed knowledge of who screwed up on the play call. Without knowing, we can't be sure. The safety looked like he expected to take an underneath route (whether it was a TE or a back, I'm not sure) and Jones looked like he expected safety help. Hard to know who was truly at fault there.

Your post doesn't change anything at all about what I posted. Neither does Chatham's tweet, which does not conflict with what I've written.

Here

Game Highlights: New England Patriots vs. Jacksonville Jaguars | Preseason Week 1

Watch starting around 2:37, with a better view starting at about 2:52.

Thanks for the highlights. Saves me from watching the NFLN rebroadcast.

On the 2 Cyrus Jones defended TDs, I see a guy who....
1) does not have the speed to match outside WRs (pretty obvious)
2) lacks experience (what was going through his mind as he hesitated on the 2nd burning)

If he was a slot WR with superior return skills, I can see his quickness creating a role on an NFL team (not NE with their arsenal of slot WRs).
But as a CB......only as an inside defender ....and even then.

Before sending Cyrus packing, lets see him cover the slot. Put him in a position to succeed........then we can can run him out of NE

Or, maybe because the coaches have a decent idea of what Cyrus is, they were just using him on the boundary in order to test some other guys on the inside?

Oh, okay. I thought you had detailed knowledge of who screwed up on the play call. Without knowing, we can't be sure. The safety looked like he expected to take an underneath route (whether it was a TE or a back, I'm not sure) and Jones looked like he expected safety help. Hard to know who was truly at fault there.

The bottom line for me is that we're going to have to see Episode-2 and Episode-3 to be able to fill in the puzzle pieces.

The bottom line for me is that we're going to have to see Episode-2 and Episode-3 to be able to fill in the puzzle pieces.

Yeah and I said in my first post that I expected the team to give him that benefit before cutting bait. I just don't think it's going to get any better of him. He's paralyzed with fear or analysis on the field and is thinking wayyyyy too much instead of reacting. That's not good.

BB seriously needs to scout the late summer waiver wires for upgrades to these two guys. They're terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST