PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Cyrus Jones make this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridiculous to watch Giardi and Fleger roast this kid when the 2nd TD was the fault of the safety.......and they know it. :rolleyes:

That being said, I have to say he didn't look quick or explosive during those plays

Yeah the second TD was a blown coverage by Richards, as I said Richards did himself no favors.

OTOH C Jones also got beat deep on the long PI call. BTW I thought the kid from Utah did a good job holding his hard up before hitting the receiver, not so sure he hit him before the ball arrived.

C Jones was awful tonight,

At least he did muff any kicks or fumble I'll give him that.

On a positive note, Jones didn't fumble, and he cleanly caught every punt and kick sent his way.

In a real game, he'd likely have been told to stay in the endzone and take a knee for most of those kicks, but I believe the coaches told him to field them and see what he could do. After all, that's what pre-season is all about. In addition, he didn't have a whole lot of support from the folks that were plugged in to the special teams slots either, so there's that.

Jones did give up one long play, but he was supposed to have help over the top on the second one.

All in all, not a great night, but not a bad one either. He showed better ball handling skills than last year and didn't cough up any either.

Jones will make the team as long as he keeps showing progress, which I suspect he will. And once the 1st team special teams guys areon the field, if Jones is fielding kick returns, then I suspect he'll have alot better success than he had last night.

Yeah, I'm a Cyrus Jones fan. I admit that and make no apologies for it. I want him to succeed, and I believe that he will.

On a positive note, Jones didn't fumble, and he cleanly caught every punt and kick sent his way.

In a real game, he'd likely have been told to stay in the endzone and take a knee for most of those kicks, but I believe the coaches told him to field them and see what he could do. After all, that's what pre-season is all about. In addition, he didn't have a whole lot of support from the folks that were plugged in to the special teams slots either, so there's that.

Jones did give up one long play, but he was supposed to have help over the top on the second one.

All in all, not a great night, but not a bad one either. He showed better ball handling skills than last year and didn't cough up any either.

Jones will make the team as long as he keeps showing progress, which I suspect he will. And once the 1st team special teams guys areon the field, if Jones is fielding kick returns, then I suspect he'll have alot better success than he had last night.

Yeah, I'm a Cyrus Jones fan. I admit that and make no apologies for it. I want him to succeed, and I believe that he will.
Your positive attitude is laudable, but Jones sucked bad tonight. Holding onto the ball is "progress," but that should be expected. He showed nothing on the returns and was disastrous on defense. The clock is ticking on him, loudly.

Your positive attitude is laudable, but Jones sucked bad tonight. Holding onto the ball is "progress," but that should be expected. He showed nothing on the returns and was disastrous on defense. The clock is ticking on him, loudly.

As I said, I expect he would've performed a LOT better in the returns had he a 1st-string special teams unit blocking for him.

I look forward to seeing what he can do over the next 3 games.

And for the record, I wear his (autographed) Alabama Jersey with my Patriot's ball cap. :)

As I said, I expect he would've performed a LOT better in the returns had he a 1st-string special teams unit blocking for him.

I look forward to seeing what he can do over the next 3 games.

And for the record, I wear his (autographed) Alabama Jersey with my Patriot's ball cap. :)

I want him to do well too, but he has been shockingly bad on the field so far.

Whatever less than zero percent is. Thats his chance. The media literally thinks bb would get rid of brady for jimmy g. Cyrus jones is a very sweet ,nice, head case that forgot how to play football. He has no chance of making the team. And on top of that he wont get picked up anywhere. He is a disaster.

Yikes!

DG7UJoCUIAACAec.jpg

Not something you want to put on your résumé when applying for a job.

Can someone explain to me how Cryus was the Patriots first pick in 2016? Was the draft that bad? What did our scouts see? I mean Alabama was a super team except for their cornerbacks who were dreadful, led by Cryus Jones who got picked on constantly deep.

Can someone explain to me how Cryus was the Patriots first pick in 2016? Was the draft that bad? What did our scouts see? I mean Alabama was a super team except for their cornerbacks who were dreadful, led by Cryus Jones who got picked on constantly deep.

On paper he was a good choice with the floor being a damn good ST player with upside to be a great nickel DB.

His biggest issue seems to be mental because athletically he is pretty gifted. I suppose it is difficult to gauge how a player from Alabama deals with adversity if they rarely encountered it throughout their college career.

The worst draft pick of the BB era. Cyrus makes IR Dowling, Terrance Wheatley, and Shawn Crable look like pro bowlers in comparison.

That's just silly.

luuked

You think Cryus still brings value to the team?

On paper he was a good choice with the floor being a damn good ST player with upside to be a great nickel DB.

His biggest issue seems to be mental because athletically he is pretty gifted. I suppose it is difficult to gauge how a player from Alabama deals with adversity if they rarely encountered it throughout their college career.

That's just silly.

Bb is one of the best drafters in the league, what do you consider his worst draft pick then?

If Cyrus doesn't make the roster, that would be the first time in the bb tenure that a second round pick didn't make the roster in year 2

luuked

You think Cryus still brings value to the team?

I think he needs a change of scenery to get back on track. While most are harping on him for that 97 yard TD bomb he allowed what pissed me off way more was that he brought out the ball on the kickoff immediately afterwards after catching it like 7 yards deep in the EZ. Unless this was a specific order from the ST coach it is just another bad, bad mental mistake.

I think he needs a change of scenery to get back on track. While most are harping on him for that 97 yard TD bomb he allowed what pissed me off way more was that he brought out the ball on the kickoff immediately afterwards after catching it like 7 yards deep in the EZ. Unless this was a specific order from the ST coach it is just another bad, bad mental mistake.

Yeah did I read correctly he had 7 returns for only 19 yards?

Those mental mistakes seem to happen often with him. How about the infamous Ravens kick off where he forgot to recover the ball

Bb is one of the best drafters in the league, what do you consider his worst draft pick then?

If Cyrus doesn't make the roster, that would be the first time in the bb tenure that a second round pick didn't make the roster in year 2

The reason why I don't consider Cyrus a bad pick is because this is only true in hindsight which is lazy to me. He didn't work out (so far) but the reasoning for picking him (ST, slot CB) were sound and his college performances were good enough to project a solid contributer role for him. Nobody expected him to mentally fold like a chair.

Am I saying he was a good pick ? Nope. But like I said before I am not a fan of criticizing decisions solely based on hindsight.

The worst draft pick in the last 3-4 years has to be Richards. There was no immediate need to draft him and he never looked like he had the necessary speed to play safety.

Yeah did I read correctly he has 7 returns for only 19 yards?

Those mental mistakes seem to happen often with him. How about the infamous Ravens kick off where he forgot to recover the ball

Seems like he just wants to do too much to make up for other mistakes and just continues snowballing it into an even bigger mess. The only small silver lining is that there are still 2-3 weeks he has to flip that switch because athletically he is good enough to be a pro. At this point I doubt it will happen in NE, though.

Chatham disagrees.

I doubt that. But, if he does, he'll change his mind when he watches the play again. The job of a CB, even in a play where there's going be a pass-off to the safety, or over the top coverage is supposed to come, is not to get smoked.

The reason why I don't consider Cyrus a bad pick is because this is only true in hindsight which is lazy to me.

This is not true. A lot of people hated the pick from the start.

I doubt that. But, if he does, he'll change his mind when he watches the play again. The job of a CB, even in a play where there's going be a pass-off to the safety, or over the top coverage is supposed to come, is not to get smoked.

That being said, initially I felt the same as you Deus. Given how rough the game was for Cyrus maybe Chatham will focus on him a bit in his FbyF video he promised to do about the first preseason game. Usually it has good insight..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back