PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will BB leave patriots at the end of this year?

Agreed.

I have a problem with the idea that Bill ought to get his team to lose games - at least that's what I call "tanking". No NFL worthy coach would do that.

I'm advocating that he put players out there he wants to take a look at then tell them to play their hearts out. Those who do well will be better for it and so will the team.

Human malware completely change the scope of practices (and various significant reasons) Not to mention quite a few starters opt out, salary cap is non existent this year. The QB was out for a 2 games with COVID.

it’s just an unpleasant year overall. Give it time.

Reality Check: Bill Belichick is NOT a competent personnel decision maker. His drafts have been generally bad and certainly trending down. The roster is deficit at so many positions - QB, WR, TE, LB - it's inexcusable. Belichick is responsible for the composition of the roster so he's to blame for the team being ill prepared to handle the fallout of Brady's departure. Belichick fostered a worsening relationship with Brady and greased the skids for Brady's exit so he should have had even a semblance of a post-Brady plan. But of course his massive ego, overinflated self-improvement and stubbornness got in the way. So now: talent deficient roster, essentially no quarterback, and a losing seasons of perhaps many to follow.

Belichick blow it. Brady outlasted him. Belichick wanted to prove he could win a championship without Brady but Brady's capicity to perform at an exceptional level exceeded Belichick's prognostication. He was referencing the replacement of Brady as early as 2014. Belichick started treating Brady merely like a game manager after Super Bowl LI (ironically in which despite perhaps Brady's most productive game ever they lost directly do to an inexplicable decision of Belichick's). The talent was dwindling around Brady and by even midway point last season Brady knew the cupboard was too bare.

Now Brady's gone, solidifying his legacy independent of Belichick, and the Patriots are morphing into Cleveland 1995.

Reality Check: Bill Belichick is NOT a competent personnel decision maker. His drafts have been generally bad and certainly trending down. The roster is deficit at so many positions - QB, WR, TE, LB - it's inexcusable. Belichick is responsible for the composition of the roster so he's to blame for the team being ill prepared to handle the fallout of Brady's departure. Belichick fostered a worsening relationship with Brady and greased the skids for Brady's exit so he should have had even a semblance of a post-Brady plan. But of course his massive ego, overinflated self-improvement and stubbornness got in the way. So now: talent deficient roster, essentially no quarterback, and a losing seasons of perhaps many to follow.

Belichick blow it. Brady outlasted him. Belichick wanted to prove he could win a championship without Brady but Brady's capicity to perform at an exceptional level exceeded Belichick's prognostication. He was referencing the replacement of Brady as early as 2014. Belichick started treating Brady merely like a game manager after Super Bowl LI (ironically in which despite perhaps Brady's most productive game ever they lost directly do to an inexplicable decision of Belichick's). The talent was dwindling around Brady and by even midway point last season Brady knew the cupboard was too bare.

Now Brady's gone, solidifying his legacy independent of Belichick, and the Patriots are morphing into Cleveland 1995.
Its painful to admit but its true. He is a top 5 coach of all time, but without the good fortune of having the GOAT QB TB he never would have gotten there. His personnel decisions have been atrocious for the most part over the past 5-7 years and the worst sin of all is he did not plan for transition for life after TB-12. That failure to prepare for transition isn his single biggest failing. I have zero confidence that BB can successfully rebuild this team again and find that top level franchise QB again. Lightning does not strike twice in the same place. I think BB will ride off into the sunset and take an executive position with the Giants or whichever team will pay the most.

Its painful to admit but its true. He is a top 5 coach of all time, but without the good fortune of having the GOAT QB TB he never would have gotten there. His personnel decisions have been atrocious for the most part over the past 5-7 years and the worst sin of all is he did not plan for transition for life after TB-12. That failure to prepare for transition isn his single biggest failing. I have zero confidence that BB can successfully rebuild this team again and find that top level franchise QB again. Lightning does not strike twice in the same place. I think BB will ride off into the sunset and take an executive position with the Giants or whichever team will pay the most.
Nor would Brady win 6 rings and see the success that he has seen with anyone else except Bill as coach over the years.

I believe Bill is GOAT head coach. But he seems to have one key flaw that holds him back from being even better if it's even possible. And that is he seems to constantly need to prove to his peers he's smarter than everyone else in the room. I don't know why he does that, maybe it's ego, who knows.

It explains the curious personnel decisions/drafts over the last few years. Also explains his actions leading up to getting caught cheating (Spygate) in 07 and staining his own legacy and bringing hell on the Patriots and us fans over the years. Explains the bending of the rulebook (like the timeout loophole). Also explains the egregious benching of Malcolm Butler which in my view was directly responsible for this franchise winning one less Super Bowl than they should have and letting the greatest big game performance of all time from his QB in maybe the history of pro sports going to waste.

I wish whoever is our next head coach, whenever it happens, plays more by the book. Understands the game inside and out like Bill, loves the game like Bill, with less of the mad-scientist-I'm-better-and-smarter-than-everyone-else stuff. You really don't need a coach with that trait to win in this league. In fact most coaches like that don't.

Last edited:
Belichick has those traits but let's not pretend Brady doesn't either.

Take a look at the roster differences in the 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018 teams and come back and tell us how horrible BB is at roster building. Team goes to 8 straight AFCCG and 3 out of 4 Super Bowls and the builder of those teams is not up to snuff? He's had to let a ton of talent go the past 2 off seasons to pay for some of their success (Trent Brown, Van Noy, Trey Flowers) and coupled with some poor drafts has left them in a rebuild at the moment but no need for the 5-7 year hyperbole after what they just accomplished.

Its probably the perfect time for BB to go given the long road ahead involved with building a team from scratch.
This isn't the 70's. If you get the right players, it is not a "long road ahead". Teams turn around rather quickly.

I say he will. There really is no point in his staying, because its likely going to be several years before they can compete for a SB again.
Parcells and Coughlin both stopped coaching and took front office roles with other teams.
Its probably the perfect time for BB to go given the long road ahead involved with building a team from scratch. I do not think he is going to break Shula's record coaching this team with no Brady.

A new GM and new coach could also benefit the patriots at this point, if Bill wants to leave. Obviously he has earned the right to decide when to leave.
Bill might go. But if he does, everyone will say it was Brady who made the dynasty more than Bill.

I'm not sure Bill is ready to put his ego aside like that.

I don't expect him to go anywhere.

For one, I don't think he hates this team as much as some people on this forum. They're not winning, but they're competitive and have heart. I'd wager he likes this team better than the 2009 team, and those were much darker days than even this. That team gave up. This team has a bit more in common with the 2000 team.

If he does decide to retire, it's going to be a long road for this organization. A lot of people here were ready to run TFB and Gostkowski out of town and that's turned out swimmingly (though Folk is starting to show some consistency). Getting rid of BB won't be any better.

Not sure why so many are anxious to turn into the Lions; seeking coaches, first draft day QBs, and direction for decades on end.
I'm not sure why anyone would hate this year's team. This is a very poor team on paper with few difference makers and lots of players on the decline. This is, in many respects, a bottom five roster.

So how could I hate a team with so little talent that still -- as you put -- is competitive and has heart?

If anything, this year is a perfect storm of bad. Cam got signed too late to feel comfortable. The cap was too tight. Injuries. Players sitting to avoid COVID. COVID hitting stars. Coaches still clinging to old philosophies at times even if it doesn't fit the roster. More injuries.

I struggle to watch this team play with how at a disadvantage they are against competition. But I respect what the team is doing out there with what we've got.

As long as we don't go on a winning streak, we can start getting higher picks and rebuilding. And as cap space frees up, Bill can start wheeling and dealing more. That's a fun prospect, so I think we'll see Bill stay just to have the opportunity to prove something to himself along with the rest of us. And it's fun being the underdog after years of high expectations, anyway.

I know it's too early for a Shula counter, but that's one closer (39 left).

Reactions: Ian
BB isn't leaving the Patriots until he surpasses Dapper Don Shula in wins.

I know it's too early for a Shula counter, but that's one closer (39 left).
I see no problem if you want to take it further and pop champaign for every win closer.

How many wins to overtake Shula ?
In regular season wins it's 50. Which likely means coaching until 2026 assuming we get back on track fast. So it's really just going to be dependent on how much it matters to him. I don't think Bill will stick around forever just to do it. I think it'll more be if he's continuing to have success, why not.

What’s up with all the stupid threads, posts and personal insults today? Lol

What’s up with all the stupid threads, posts and personal insults today? Lol
Why are personally insulting threads by calling them stupid?

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Oh, I forgot about the draft and free agency! We have such a great track record in those departments, so good in fact that Belichick will tie Shula in 3 years...
You do realize that when you consider everything it’s been the greatest front office in the history of the sport, right?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back