PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will BB leave patriots at the end of this year?

I'd bet a nice pot of cash that one of his top 3 priorities left in this league is to leave behind something that gives Josh (or whoever) a fair chance to succeed.

The Pats are his ship and he will not leave it full of holes and sinking. He built that ship with his own hands, hammering every nail to every plank. He'll do everything within his power so that should that ship sink one day, it won't be said it was because of the state in which he left it. Call it pride or guilt, loyalty or selfishness, call it whatever you will.

I said as HC, I never said as HC and GM.

Josh s*cks at both so at least BOB is a good HC
I know you didn't I'm just saying that's a scary thought.

Be

Only Hightower whose gettin older is the only impact player or chung. They’re getting older. Idk if they can save more money by cutting Cannon as well. This team needs help upfront defensively as well as a legit number 1 or 2 wideout. It will be interesting to see how belichick approaches this season. Don’t even know who the QB will be as well.
There is a lot of question marks on the D next year. High coming back is not 100%. I think it is more probable IMO that next year Hightower, J-Mac, D-Mac and Gilmore will not come back.

I know you didn't I'm just saying that's a scary thought.
Yes it is. But if you can find a GM who BOB is ok to work with, I would be fine with it.

Bill "tanking" and going 2-14 like many wanted him to do would immediately disqualify him in any conversation about best coach ever.

I doubt that. You have to considered the times when other coaches coached during a non-salary cap era. I bet bill would love that.

I don't expect him to go anywhere.

For one, I don't think he hates this team as much as some people on this forum. They're not winning, but they're competitive and have heart. I'd wager he likes this team better than the 2009 team, and those were much darker days than even this. That team gave up. This team has a bit more in common with the 2000 team.
I agree with you. I think he can completely remake this roster much like he did going into to 2001. A good draft and a good free agent group and they are in business. Oh, there's $175m in cap space too.

I doubt that. You have to considered the times when other coaches coaches during a non-salary cap era. I bet bill would love that.

2-14 is a category of its own. Even a crap coach could go 2-14 with this team. That gets coaches fired and rightfully so. Even Landry was fired after the Cowboys tanked to a record like that. Also when comparing Bill to his peers in the conversation of GOAT coach, it's noticeable that Shula never had a 2-14 season. Neither did Lombardi. Noll had a tough rookie season but it's not like he lost Bradshaw and then watched his team lose 10 games on their record the following season. Pretty sure even Parcells never had a 2-14 season. Remember this is not just 2-14, it would be 2-14 immediately post Brady. The optics would be obvious.

Also none of Bill's peers were caught cheating like Bill was.

Bill is likely out of the conversation of GOAT if it had happened and absolutely without a doubt out if it happened on purpose. Thankfully it didn't.

2-14 is a category of its own. Even a crap coach could go 2-14 with this team. That gets coaches fired and rightfully so. Even Landry was fired after the Cowboys tanked to a record like that. Also when comparing Bill to his peers in the conversation of GOAT coach, it's noticeable that Shula never had a 2-14 season. Neither did Lombardi. Noll had a tough rookie season but it's not like he lost Bradshaw and then watched his team lose 10 games on their record the following season. Pretty sure even Parcells never had a 2-14 season. Remember this is not just 2-14, it would be 2-14 immediately post Brady. The optics would be obvious.

Also none of Bill's peers were caught cheating like Bill was.

Bill is likely out of the conversation of GOAT if it had happened and absolutely without a doubt out if it happened on purpose. Thankfully it didn't.

You have to remember though no salary cap and Shula had 3 very good quarterbacks. They really lucked out with marino. It would be nice to have a league with no salary cap in place.

Bill "tanking" and going 2-14 like many wanted him to do would immediately disqualify him in any conversation about best coach ever.

If he is the best coach ever, it's in large part because he has had the courage to do the unpopular thing, to move on from popular players, to ignore the popular fanboy delusions of the day - that sort of thing. I'd put getting realistic about the current season in that category. Coaches willing to run out a losing string are a dime a dozen mediocrities.

You have to remember though no salary cap and Shula had 3 very good quarterbacks. They really lucked out with marino. It would be nice to have a league with no salary cap in place.
For sure in theory. Hard to say though if the Patriots would have turned into what they did starting in the mid 90's with no cap. I can see rich franchises and owners like Jerruh or the Rooney family doing whatever it took to keep their teams elite. Feels like Kraft would have had a tough time competing with that.

If he is the best coach ever, it's in large part because he has had the courage to do the unpopular thing, to move on from popular players, to ignore the popular fanboy delusions of the day - that sort of thing. I'd put getting realistic about the current season in that category. Coaches willing to run out a losing string are a dime a dozen mediocrities.
Agreed.

I have a problem with the idea that Bill ought to get his team to lose games - at least that's what I call "tanking". No NFL worthy coach would do that.

Bill would absolutely torpedo his legacy if he bails after this awful season one year after Brady left.

Someone nailed my hunch earlier... Hightower, both Dmac and Jmac, Gilmore will not likely be on the team next year for various reasons.

I hope BB doesn't leave because if he does, we let the greatest QB of all time finish his career in Florida for nothing.

If BB stays, reboots the team into a top contender again then it was worth it. If he leaves, or the team still sucks next year...I'd have rather had BB leave last year and get to watch Tom finish here honestly.

there's nowhere for him to go.........unless somebody provides him with ownership, he can't have a better position than he already has.

Someone nailed my hunch earlier... Hightower, both Dmac and Jmac, Gilmore will not likely be on the team next year for various reasons.

I hope BB doesn't leave because if he does, we let the greatest QB of all time finish his career in Florida for nothing.

If BB stays, reboots the team into a top contender again then it was worth it. If he leaves, or the team still sucks next year...I'd have rather had BB leave last year and get to watch Tom finish here honestly.

Wouldn’t they suffer some type of cap hits if that happened? Some would have to released post draft which means not much to do and some dead money.

The funny thing about the BB vs Brady thing and him needing to "prove himself" is that through the 20 years of success he has always said "The players win em and the coaches lose em." And if you just step back for a second and look at the big picture, it's pretty obvious. You can be the best coach in the world, have all the right answers for every situation, know exactly what to do, but if you have Cam Newton throwing the ball into the dirt every other down what can you do about it? Nothing. And for all the debating and arguing about it, Belichick will be the first one to say the players are more important than the coach and I think he would genuinely mean that

Josh is the current heir to Bill and based on his track record there's nothing that says he is an NFL caliber head coach.

With Josh and not Bill as HC we'd "benefit" in a way that we'd be contending for the #1 pick overall every year until maybe 2029 and probably beyond that. Ask the Jets and Lions how it's worked out for them being a team like that.
I read that as he thought this team would benefit from a different coach as in not BB. If he meant that if BB goes he wants a different coach than Josh then fine.

I say he will. There really is no point in his staying, because its likely going to be several years before they can compete for a SB again.
Parcells and Coughlin both stopped coaching and took front office roles with other teams.
Its probably the perfect time for BB to go given the long road ahead involved with building a team from scratch. I do not think he is going to break Shula's record coaching this team with no Brady.

A new GM and new coach could also benefit the patriots at this point, if Bill wants to leave. Obviously he has earned the right to decide when to leave.
If there is a team out there with a young promising quarterback and a better overall roster, he might
be tempted. Houston has the quarterback and receivers.

I agree. To not have Brady finish here was a colossal mistake. He needs to stay and do the reboot.

With the defense looking like this, I think it's best for Brady's legacy that he went somewhere else.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back