PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will BB leave patriots at the end of this year?

With Bill this year we’re a 4 win team right now in a rebuilding year and somewhat competitive in most games. And with some hope with a good chance to get better soon. Without him we are the 2020 jets or the 1990 Patriots. Not just this year but every year for the rest of the decade and maybe longer than that. Sounds like fun.

if it’s up to Bill he will stay.

This is what Bill has been waiting for! And it's not about records.

BB gets to coach closely with his sons. He has talked many times how he regrets not being home for them when they were younger.

Bill loves teaching. He learned from his father and now he gets to finish his career teaching his sons by his side.

Why leave now?

I realize it is a big "IF" but if the Patriots can solve their QB situation they can be back as a playoff contender next year and Super Bowl contenders the year after. BB swallowed his cap medicine in one big gulp by letting so many critical players go all at once and has the team set up with a tremendous amount of cap space at a time when over half the league will need to take many of the same actions the Pats just did. My expectation is that there will be a ton of middle class FA to be had for cheap money and if BB hits on enough of them the holes at DL, LB, TE and WR can be closed quickly.

This year is unique. I wouldn’t expect coach to quit because of it. How many players did he lose from last year that played significant roles on the team to free agency and COVID? 15 to 20 in my estimate. There is turn over every year, but I can’t recall it being this much unless it was a total rebuild. I feel he still wants to coach and win.

with the way the roster is constructed, it’ll take 8 years for him to tie Shula...
Thank God they will change the team next year. Let me explain this to you. See, every year in the NFL, teams get to draft new players, and get new players as free agents. They also lose players often because they can get better ones. In the NFL there is this thing called the salary cap. It is the most teams can pay for the players on their team. The patriots have a lot of extra money to spend next year, and the salary cap is actually expected to drop, which puts the Patriots in a really good position to bring in new and more expensive players. Also, a team gets to draft, which means pick, players based on their record. If they do poorly they get to draft earlier so they should get better players! Finally, a number of the Patriots players didn't play this year because of this disease called Covid, not sure if you have heard of it. Some of those players were pretty good, and some, if not all, might come back and play next year!

I hope this makes it easy for you to understand!

Thank God they will change the team next year. Let me explain this to you. See, every year in the NFL, teams get to draft new players, and get new players as free agents. They also lose players often because they can get better ones. In the NFL there is this thing called the salary cap. It is the most teams can pay for the players on their team. The patriots have a lot of extra money to spend next year, and the salary cap is actually expected to drop, which puts the Patriots in a really good position to bring in new and more expensive players. Also, a team gets to draft, which means pick, players based on their record. If they do poorly they get to draft earlier so they should get better players! Finally, a number of the Patriots players didn't play this year because of this disease called Covid, not sure if you have heard of it. Some of those players were pretty good, and some, if not all, might come back and play next year!

Oh, I forgot about the draft and free agency! We have such a great track record in those departments, so good in fact that Belichick will tie Shula in 3 years...

I say he will. There really is no point in his staying, because its likely going to be several years before they can compete for a SB again.
Parcells and Coughlin both stopped coaching and took front office roles with other teams.
Its probably the perfect time for BB to go given the long road ahead involved with building a team from scratch. I do not think he is going to break Shula's record coaching this team with no Brady.

A new GM and new coach could also benefit the patriots at this point, if Bill wants to leave. Obviously he has earned the right to decide when to leave.
I have no idea why think this team would benefit from a different coach. Baffling statement.

Oh, I forgot about the draft and free agency! We have such a great track record in those departments, so good in fact that Belichick will tie Shula in 3 years...
You are so right, I imagine you should just head on over to the Tampa forum and post there!

I have no idea why think this team would benefit from a different coach. Baffling statement.
Josh is the current heir to Bill and based on his track record there's nothing that says he is an NFL caliber head coach.

With Josh and not Bill as HC we'd "benefit" in a way that we'd be contending for the #1 pick overall every year until maybe 2029 and probably beyond that. Ask the Jets and Lions how it's worked out for them being a team like that.

A new GM and new coach could also benefit the patriots at this point, if Bill wants to leave. Obviously he has earned the right to decide when to leave.
Holy hot take.

So the Pats are better off with a coach other than the greatest coach in the history of the NFL? If BB is so god awful at being a GM why would another team want him?

Unless Kraft fires him, I don't think he's going anywhere. I think he realized this was going to be a rough year, due to the cap. It'll be interesting to see what he does in free agency and the draft. We supposedly have the 3rd or 4th most cap space. Draft wise, I know I sound like a broken record, but he needs to draft a QB with the high 1st round pick, and then from rounds 2 on, nothing but EXPLOSIVE offensive weapons. If he fumbles in FA and the draft, and has another bad season, I think the choice won't be his as far as if he leaves or not.

He can really make a dramatic change to this team if he does well in FA and the draft, a quick change to contenders again. That's a huge IF though.

Josh is the current heir to Bill and based on his track record there's nothing that says he is an NFL caliber head coach.

With Josh and not Bill as HC we'd "benefit" in a way that we'd be contending for the #1 pick overall every year until maybe 2029 and probably beyond that. Ask the Jets and Lions how it's worked out for them being a team like that.
I would take Bill O’Brien as a HC before Josh. Josh is a good OC but he s*cks as a HC

I'd say no. I still think he's the best coach around, likely the best ever. But I also think he has a lot of work to do, much of it to correct his own past mistakes. I suppose I could see him taking a role with the Giants (thinking of him getting weepy wandering around their facility.), but I doubt it will happen. It would probably work, but the Giants lately are an organization given to sluggishly doing the wrong thing at every opportunity.

Age is a factor. Bill seems tired to me. I'm 74, and I understand what he's going through. Experience is a tremendous advantage, no doubt at all, but you do lose that sheer, raw energy you have as a young fella. You start to look for little opportunities for refuge from the stresses most jobs offer. When this happened to me, right around Bill's age, I dropped a couple of classes but held on to my job as department head. I had to make an adjustment, and Bill has to do the same.

It's obvious where he should cut back: in his work as GM. In important areas - drafting, particularly certain positions - Bill blows at the GM thing. He has to let those responsibilities go for the sake of his continued success as coach and because doing so would be "doing what is best for the team." If he's unwilling to do this, the Krafts have to force him to do so. If he refuses, that's a legit problem, and letting him go should then be on the table. In Bill qua GM we no longer trust.

I have a theory, by the way, as to what he's doing this year. I get it from hearing a past player talk about how Bill ran things early in his tenure here, before the dynasty years. He hounded the players through the losses to see who could take it and who could not. Maybe he has something similar in mind this year. If so, he'd better get more of the youngsters and newbies out there: see what they can do under duress. Forget about winning: this is a losing team. Deal with it. If Bill is still the hard@$$ realist he aspires and claims to be, he'll face that fact and use the rest of the season to see who can take it, to see what he's got and what he hasn't got. He can begin by sending Cam off to a job at some haberdashery.

I'd say no. I still think he's the best coach around, likely the best ever. But I also think he has a lot of work to do, much of it to correct his own past mistakes. I suppose I could see him taking a role with the Giants (thinking of him getting weepy wandering around their facility.), but I doubt it will happen. It would probably work, but the Giants lately are an organization given to sluggishly doing the wrong thing at every opportunity.
Bill "tanking" and going 2-14 like many wanted him to do would immediately disqualify him in any conversation about best coach ever.

Thank God they will change the team next year. Let me explain this to you. See, every year in the NFL, teams get to draft new players, and get new players as free agents. They also lose players often because they can get better ones. In the NFL there is this thing called the salary cap. It is the most teams can pay for the players on their team. The patriots have a lot of extra money to spend next year, and the salary cap is actually expected to drop, which puts the Patriots in a really good position to bring in new and more expensive players. Also, a team gets to draft, which means pick, players based on their record. If they do poorly they get to draft earlier so they should get better players! Finally, a number of the Patriots players didn't play this year because of this disease called Covid, not sure if you have heard of it. Some of those players were pretty good, and
Be
some, if not all, might come back and play next year!

Only Hightower whose gettin older is the only impact player or chung. They’re getting older. Idk if they can save more money by cutting Cannon as well. This team needs help upfront defensively as well as a legit number 1 or 2 wideout. It will be interesting to see how belichick approaches this season. Don’t even know who the QB will be as well.

You are so right, I imagine you should just head on over to the Tampa forum and post there!

Obviously you haven't been reading my Tampa posts on this forum...and why bother to go to the Tampa message board when we have one dedicated to that team on this board...

People criticize Bill the GM but imagine having BOB the GM instead? Yikes.
I said as HC, I never said as HC and GM.

Josh s*cks at both so at least BOB is a good HC

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back