PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why "Official Thread" fad has been ruining this board

I think an "official" suggestion thread should be created and this thread should be merged into it.

And then locked, so another Official Threads thread can be started. Seems like a thing.

The only "official threads" launched by the mods are usually by PatsNutMe on the game and post game threads. When others start other "official" threads, we generally don't touch them. I'm open to other suggestions.......... :)

Guess it's time to add the word "official" to the banned list.

I think this thread should climb aboard the Pony Express to get to the practice squad.

There is not a single “Official” thread open on the first page currently. Generally, there is an official game and a post-game thread that is about it. I think you should use some other boards on the web because you would appreciate how well this board is actually run and how unrestricting the moderators are.

Not to mention Joker is on the money, you can edit and navigate the board to your preferences.

OT, but I am literally nauseated by the overuse of the word "literally," figuratively speaking. Literally used to literally be awesome to add in an exclamation or point of reference. Now, like awesome, it is literally overused. I mean it.

In all seriousness, do you literally mean this?

OT, but I am literally nauseated by the overuse of the word "literally," figuratively speaking. Literally used to literally be awesome to add in an exclamation or point of reference. Now, like awesome, it is literally overused. I mean it.

I know what you mean. My head literally explodes when I see someone use the word literally wrong. And no I am not using literally when I mean figuratively. Here is video evidence.

Warning not for the faint at heart. Click at your own risk.
20120914120348!Exploding-head.gif

I'm sending that to the "Throwdown Thread"!

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
I agree with the OP, I hardly ever bother with "official" threads because wading through hundreds - if not thousands - of linearly ordered replies often becomes something like work.

On top of that, merging threads too often diminishes the vitality of the board. I can't be the only one who checks the board daily to see if their are new threads and just moves on if there are none.

And this goes for "official" game threads as well. Check into the official game thread the next day and it's 20-30 pages long with 2-3 posters going back and forth over some particular point while I have a thought about something completely different. Post on page 26, in a new direction, and you might as well have not bothered.

I'll say that in the past it has annoyed me with postgame threads when some people want to discuss one specific thing about the game and their thread is immediately merged into Official postgame thread. Most people dont want to sift though all those pages to discuss one specific topic. But I also understand the clutter it would create if everyone started a thread after the game. Perhaps a compromise where we leave them alone for a few hours and merge them later. That way in the immediate aftermath people have time to talk in a specific thread about one thing and later the board is cleaned up by merging them.

****How about a separate forum for each game? I don't know if that can be worked logistically on Ian's part, but that would be a possible solution for folks who would like to see all angles of the game from different posters.****

Just my 2 cents.

Not to put myself in the same class with patfanken, but I have have never had one of my post game threads merged with the official game thread. Certain veteran posters like myself, ken, Zeus, etc. do have the cache to have their own threads (right or wrong). So from that standpoint, I don't think this particular thing is an issue.

Exactly, I don't remember me or the other mods merging in a Patfanken/Zeus/Robo observation thread before (and BoxoRocks before that). We fully agree that there are some posters here who are better than the pro writers.

And then locked, so another Official Threads thread can be started. Seems like a thing.

An Official Locked thread should be created and merge this thread with it.

I think this thread should climb aboard the Pony Express to get to the practice squad.

There is not a single “Official” thread open on the first page currently. Generally, there is an official game and a post-game thread that is about it. I think you should use some other boards on the web because you would appreciate how well this board is actually run and how unrestricting the moderators are.

Not to mention Joker is on the money, you can edit and navigate the board to your preferences.

I think PonyExpress has a point, though, when it comes to the game threads.

I repeat my idea I threw out there. How about separate forums for each game, where threads are simply not merged?

****How about a separate forum for each game? I don't know if that can be worked logistically on Ian's part, but that would be a possible solution for folks who would like to see all angles of the game from different posters.****

Just my 2 cents.
This is a fantastic idea. It would be great if there were a feature where people could vote on game threads, and if they are rated high enough are promoted to the main board.

This is a fantastic idea. It would be great if there were a feature where people could vote on game threads, and if they are rated high enough are promoted to the main board.

I liked that! (literally)

PF.Com has a search feature. Just search for the people that you like to read.

There does not need to be 5 Mankins threads.

As a mod, I'm all for balance. For instance, I myself started a separate thread on Mankins' refusing a contract restructure rather than letting it get lost in the mammoth omg-they-traded-mankins thread. I try not to merge threads with a distinctive focus or voice into mega-threads. I certainly would never merge away one of Zeus or Patfanken's ruminations.

OTOH, you would not like to see this board if we didn't merge any threads, trust me. Here's something that will help:

GIVE THREADS HIGHLY DESCRIPTIVE AND INFORMATIVE TITLES!!! Your thread is much less likely to be merged if it's called "An analysis of Collins' blocked FG" rather than "Last night's game."

I enjoy having things cleaned up the way they are. If there's more than one thread on the same topic, I might miss a post that I would have liked to read. For instance, what if during training camp, there was no "official thread?" Would people just create topics with every tweet they see regarding practice? Perhaps have a new thread for each day of practice? I find that hard to follow. Having everything in one place allows me to find meaningful posts more easily.

And if people are so interested about certain posters, can't you just "follow" them and be alerted when they post?

I'll be honest. I think that Pony's complaint is the equivalent of the Muslim woman in VT complaining about the Sign that had the word Bacon on it.

Ian and Mods - You can't please everyone. Making changes for the extreme minority alienates the majority. And I don't truly believe it helps the board run better. It's already been established that the times that the mods typically merge threads is when it's talking about the same thing. Such as when Mankins was traded. There were 3 threads I believe that went up about it. The board doesn't need 3 threads on it. And, last I looked, the Tommy Kelly appreciation thread didn't get merged with the Tommy Kelly cut thread..

And, contrary to the OP and a couple of other people, the thread merging is truly at a minimum here. Many of the mega-threads of late come from normal interaction. Not from the "inane arguments of 2-3 posters".

I honestly believe the mods do a fantastic job at limiting what threads get merged and what don't and that this complaint is more about personal preference of the user and his not using the tools available than it is a true issue with the board.

EDIT: I went back and looked for the Training Camp observation threads by people like PFK and SignBabyBrady. Those threads would have been "ideal" ones for merges if what the OP said was true. They weren't merged with the Training Camp MEGA thread. So, I guess I am missing the "OFFICIAL" threads scenario that the OP portrayed..

Last edited:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back