PLEASE READ: Now that the Bye Week is Over, Some Guidelines For the Second Half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
With the bye week behind us and the second half of the season upcoming, it's time to settle things down a bit and start getting ready for the next seven games. It should be a tough stretch, and that being said obviously there's probably still going to be a few bumps here and there along the way that is going to cause a little angst among those here who tend to live week-to-week. Try and focus on the big picture and don't rush to judgement based on one game. I think we all agree the outlook definitely looks much different now than it did in week three, and I'm sure that will be the case a little over a month from now.

A few other thoughts heading into the weekend:

1) With something new planned for Monday night, remember, any reactionary posts in the game thread are there forever, and there have been quite a few posts in that thread that definitely conflict with what we've seen. The point of the game thread is for people to lean on eachother and feed off of one another. It's important not to get too up or to down. I'm instructing everyone who uses it to hit the "report" button Monday night if someone is getting a little out of control and if I deem it worthy to remove you I will do so - and that goes for everyone. It's supposed to be a fun environment, and moving forward toward the rest of the season I'll be working on trying to make sure it remains that way. No more in-thread arguing. If an exchange contains more than two responses by each person and it's clearly escalating, agree to disagree and don't argue. If it continues past that point, both parties will be removed from the thread. It may seem unfair, but one person should have walked away. If you do so you're not admitting being wrong, you're admitting to trying to keep the thread on topic and that wins you points with me :cool:

2) I'm instituting the "If you can't say anything nice to a certain poster, hit the ignore button." I've seen a lot of condescending and downright nasty remarks in recent weeks and I'd like to curtail that moving forward. Please remember there are a variety of posters in here in terms of their interest in the game, with some who are certainly more heavily involved than others. Some fans are casual, while others spend a lot of time reading news, stats, etc. and are more informed. I think we have a good mix in here, and everyone is here to have a good time. If you can tell someone else isn't quite as "knowledgeable" as you may be, please show more patience and tolerance. All of us lead different lives and have different family and work schedules. But in the end everyone is obviously a fan of the team, and it's good to be in a place where we all share a common interest. We all need to try and remember that.

3) For some of the newer users, please also show respect to all of the veteran users in here. There are quite a few members who have been here a long time and some post more frequently than others, but many of them have been here a long time and they make this place what it has become. We want to welcome you, but we'd like you to become more of a family member and less like that guy or girl who comes into the house and causes unrest. Like anywhere else you go, some people are more blunt than others and you'll need a little bit of a thicker skin with a few of them. If you show respect and try and contribute good discussions and opinions, you'll do just fine. Good questions are also better than bad opinions or rants. So keep that in mind. Some day you'll fall into the same category, and we'll expect new members to treat you the same way. ;)

4) By this same token, many have noticed I've been limiting new registrations this season to try and maintain some balance in here. There are usually 50-80 people sitting in queue - which is certainly a great thing that there are people who want to join the community. However, for the sake of trying to keep a good environment I've been trying to limit an influx of new posters coming in who may not be familiar with how we do things to allow existing members to meet some new people and get comfortable before the next round comes in. If you're here, obviously everyone wants a good, fun place to talk football and that's what we're trying to establish. So please be a part of that and focus more on creating insightful threads and posts that everyone will want to participate in with you.

5) Creating threads that are you complaining about something will need to contain more than one or two sentences with the fact you're upset. If you're upset, chances are so are others, so you probably won't be alone. But if you are, you'll need to post what you didn't like about the game or a play, along with your thoughts on what should have been done differently. You may have a few people who see things the same way that you do, but you'll need to channel your anger in a productive fashion before you start a thread. We don't want the board full of 10+ threads of misery. If your opening post lacks any substance, you'll see your thread moved out to the "Practice Forum" as a result. If you become a consistent offender (ie: your threads start populating that forum), I have recently changed a setting that will allow me to start revoking the ability for those individuals to start threads. I'd rather not do that, so please be aware of what's going on if you start noticing your threads disappearing and ending up in that forum.

6) Consistent complaining in threads will see you potentially removed. Imagine you go to an event each week and the guy you're with hates everything, almost every time. After a while, it becomes unbearable. Don't be a "Debbie Downer". It's not about being a "homer", it's about trying to maintain some sense of trying to remain rational through both the good and the bad and being a courteous fan among a group of people. When the team wins, everyone's happy in some shape or form and the same holds true in terms of people being unhappy with each loss, although that's generally a little tougher on everyone. Needless to say, if you're ruining the party, you may be asked to leave. So please save us the trouble and don't be that person.

I think this more or less covers everything for now, although please also be aware of the other rules in this thread as well:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...s-please-read-before-starting-new-thread.html

In the meantime feel free to PM me with any concerns, questions, etc. and I appreciate your cooperation in advance :)

Last edited:
Also, these guidelines apply to any further posts, threads, etc. made from the date stamp of this thread moving forward, as I'm aware of quite a few recent instances that some of the aforementioned rules were broken in other posts or threads.

I'm not getting into that and I'm allowing people the chance to move forward with a clean slate. This wasn't said before those posts were made, so out of fairness I'm not penalizing individuals who were involved there. However, please be aware of these guidelines moving forward.

Just a quick bump this morning :)

Mid afternoon Bump.

A Sunday morning reminder bump.

With the bye week behind us and the second half of the season upcoming, it's time to settle things down a bit and start getting ready for the next seven games. It should be a tough stretch, and that being said obviously there's probably still going to be a few bumps here and there along the way that is going to cause a little angst among those here who tend to live week-to-week. Try and focus on the big picture and don't rush to judgement based on one game. I think we all agree the outlook definitely looks much different now than it did in week three, and I'm sure that will be the case a little over a month from now.

A few other thoughts heading into the weekend:

1) With something new planned for Monday night, remember, any reactionary posts in the game thread are there forever, and there have been quite a few posts in that thread that definitely conflict with what we've seen. The point of the game thread is for people to lean on eachother and feed off of one another. It's important not to get too up or to down. I'm instructing everyone who uses it to hit the "report" button Monday night if someone is getting a little out of control and if I deem it worthy to remove you I will do so - and that goes for everyone. It's supposed to be a fun environment, and moving forward toward the rest of the season I'll be working on trying to make sure it remains that way. No more in-thread arguing. If an exchange contains more than two responses by each person and it's clearly escalating, agree to disagree and don't argue. If it continues past that point, both parties will be removed from the thread. It may seem unfair, but one person should have walked away. If you do so you're not admitting being wrong, you're admitting to trying to keep the thread on topic and that wins you points with me :cool:

2) I'm instituting the "If you can't say anything nice to a certain poster, hit the ignore button." I've seen a lot of condescending and downright nasty remarks in recent weeks and I'd like to curtail that moving forward. Please remember there are a variety of posters in here in terms of their interest in the game, with some who are certainly more heavily involved than others. Some fans are casual, while others spend a lot of time reading news, stats, etc. and are more informed. I think we have a good mix in here, and everyone is here to have a good time. If you can tell someone else isn't quite as "knowledgeable" as you may be, please show more patience and tolerance. All of us lead different lives and have different family and work schedules. But in the end everyone is obviously a fan of the team, and it's good to be in a place where we all share a common interest. We all need to try and remember that.

3) For some of the newer users, please also show respect to all of the veteran users in here. There are quite a few members who have been here a long time and some post more frequently than others, but many of them have been here a long time and they make this place what it has become. We want to welcome you, but we'd like you to become more of a family member and less like that guy or girl who comes into the house and causes unrest. Like anywhere else you go, some people are more blunt than others and you'll need a little bit of a thicker skin with a few of them. If you show respect and try and contribute good discussions and opinions, you'll do just fine. Good questions are also better than bad opinions or rants. So keep that in mind. Some day you'll fall into the same category, and we'll expect new members to treat you the same way. ;)

4) By this same token, many have noticed I've been limiting new registrations this season to try and maintain some balance in here. There are usually 50-80 people sitting in queue - which is certainly a great thing that there are people who want to join the community. However, for the sake of trying to keep a good environment I've been trying to limit an influx of new posters coming in who may not be familiar with how we do things to allow existing members to meet some new people and get comfortable before the next round comes in. If you're here, obviously everyone wants a good, fun place to talk football and that's what we're trying to establish. So please be a part of that and focus more on creating insightful threads and posts that everyone will want to participate in with you.

5) Creating threads that are you complaining about something will need to contain more than one or two sentences with the fact you're upset. If you're upset, chances are so are others, so you probably won't be alone. But if you are, you'll need to post what you didn't like about the game or a play, along with your thoughts on what should have been done differently. You may have a few people who see things the same way that you do, but you'll need to channel your anger in a productive fashion before you start a thread. We don't want the board full of 10+ threads of misery. If your opening post lacks any substance, you'll see your thread moved out to the "Practice Forum" as a result. If you become a consistent offender (ie: your threads start populating that forum), I have recently changed a setting that will allow me to start revoking the ability for those individuals to start threads. I'd rather not do that, so please be aware of what's going on if you start noticing your threads disappearing and ending up in that forum.

6) Consistent complaining in threads will see you potentially removed. Imagine you go to an event each week and the guy you're with hates everything, almost every time. After a while, it becomes unbearable. Don't be a "Debbie Downer". It's not about being a "homer", it's about trying to maintain some sense of trying to remain rational through both the good and the bad and being a courteous fan among a group of people. When the team wins, everyone's happy in some shape or form and the same holds true in terms of people being unhappy with each loss, although that's generally a little tougher on everyone. Needless to say, if you're ruining the party, you may be asked to leave. So please save us the trouble and don't be that person.

I think this more or less covers everything for now, although please also be aware of the other rules in this thread as well:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...s-please-read-before-starting-new-thread.html

In the meantime feel free to PM me with any concerns, questions, etc. and I appreciate your cooperation in advance :)

One final bump before the game.

A reminder - for some who may need to read this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes