PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does 1st round pick Sony Michel play like a jag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to categorize Sony. He is very slow, he is not big. Basically if the holes are open he has good vision and balance, but certainly not a home run threat. I think he can block well, so overall he is not flashy but BB values blocking/

It's interesting how so many of them basically shared duties with another RB. Unless that's the point. Michel isn't THE guy at RB. He's appropriate as part of a committee of RBs. And certainly not worth re-signing at any significant money.

ROFLMAO.. First you claim that most of the list didn't have long or consistent careers and now you're spinning some other ridiculous f'in angle.

ALL of them were the PRIMARY backs for their respective teams. Claiming that they "shared duties" is completely laughable. Seriously. You need to stop making things up to try and take Sony down. It just shows how desperate you are.

Hard to categorize Sony. He is very slow, he is not big. Basically if the holes are open he has good vision and balance, but certainly not a home run threat. I think he can block well, so overall he is not flashy but BB values blocking/

90% of RBs are not "home run" threats. Sony isn't "slow" and that was proven by the fact that it took a 4.5 Line Backer to run him down from behind. Sony isn't LeGarrette Blount big, but he's not JJ Taylor small..Basic research shows that the "normal" RB in the NFL ranges from 5'9 - 6'0 and from 200-225 lbs. You have outliers at all ends of the spectrums that have varying degrees of success. Sony has shown he can get through even some of the smallest holes. It's when the holes are non-existent that he has issues. As would ANY RB.. Last year, with the horrible run blocking we had ALL year is a perfect example. Not to mention the propensity for the team to ONLY run the ball when Sony was on the field.. The number of Play-Action passes that Brady went to with Sony on the field wasn't all that many.

How does your point “stand”. You claimed that newton had basically the same yards on the same attempts and the difference is pretty much Mahomes to Darnold.
Newton did have approximately the same attempts and yards as Wilson after week 2. Wilson has more now and 14 TDs because he gets to throw to great WRs.

Thanks for pointing out the Wilson has 5 more passing TDs after game 3 and 2 consecutive games of 5 TDs. 5 passing TDs in game 2 vs the NE defense and the best CB in the game.

Cam has done great considering his cast of WRs.

And the way that you do that is commit to the run and do it successfully. Like the 49ers last year.

To be successful the Patriot passing game needs to leverage the threat of the run. I’m not sure where you see these teams that will be able to prevent the patriots from running the ball.
Baltimore didn’t lose because they couldn’t run, they ran just fine. They lost because they abandoned the run and threw it 59 times. The marathon of the score was the result of throwing it 59 times not the other way around.
Did you watch last nights Baltimore/KC game?

Lamar Jackson completed just 15-of-28 passes for 97 yards and an INT... KC got up early, and LJ can't pass well. Simple formula. Teams don't have to shut down the run completely, they can be good enough to make it inefficient and difficult to score fast enough to win.

I don't get Pats fans confused as to why Lamar wasn't drafted by them, BB had two shots at him and passed for a reason. Cam is a better passer then he'll ever be and Cam is average with his accuracy. Passing
is the job, running is simply gravy.

Newton did have approximately the same attempts and yards as Wilson after week 2. Wilson has more now and 14 TDs because he gets to throw to great WRs.

Thanks for pointing out the Wilson has 5 more passing TDs after game 3 and 2 consecutive games of 5 TDs. 5 passing TDs in game 2 vs the NE defense and the best CB in the game.

Russell Wilson is the best QB in the game if it's not Mahomes, he can spot the ball 30 yards on a dime.

Suggesting he only excels due to "weapons" belies what he has done his entire career with lesser weapons and frankly is a load of garbage. Go look at completion percentages from now all the way back to when they were in college. Accuracy can be measured, it exists.

I agree, unfortunately in the playoffs defense's become much better and the chances of running well shrink, see Seattle. You have to be able to pass well and pass from the pocket, this is the challenge for these coaches and this QB.
And the way that you do that is commit to the run and do it successfully. Like the 49ers last year.

To be successful the Patriot passing game needs to leverage the threat of the run. I’m not sure where you see these teams that will be able to prevent the patriots from running the ball Baltimore didn’t lose because they couldn’t run, they ran just fine. They lost because they abandoned the run and threw it 59 times. The marathon of the score was the result of throwing it 59 times not the other way around.

wot?

How did we get from Sony being a JAG to Cam Newton not being any good?

Did you watch last nights Baltimore/KC game?

Lamar Jackson completed just 15-of-28 passes for 97 yards and an INT... KC got up early, and LJ can't pass well. Simple formula. Teams don't have to shut down the run completely, they can be good enough to make it inefficient and difficult to score fast enough to win.

I don't get Pats fans confused as to why Lamar wasn't drafted by them, BB had two shots at him and passed for a reason. Cam is a better passer then he'll ever be and Cam is average with his accuracy. Passing
is the job, running is simply gravy.
I don’t understand.
The patriots have a qb who is not a good passer but is a good runner. A guy who can throw effectively if you limit his throws to situations that are favorable to him (play action, only 4 dbs, favorably down and distance, etc) and will struggle if you ask him
to run a pass oriented offense.
Is your argument they are going to lose because of him, or they should run a pass heavy offense?
Mine is the best chance they have is to commit to the run, be conservative, have him throw in favorable situations, scold him when he thinks he can throw into heavy coverage like he did last week and win by being more physical than the opponent.

Baltimore’s offense failed last night because they didn’t commit to the run. They felt they had to throw to keep up with mahomes. Perhaps they did,but they had no chance of doing that, just like we will have no chance of doing that. Kc didn’t stop the run, Baltimore never tried to run. Their RBs has 12 total carries.
look at the first drive. 4 runs in 5 plays to get to the 15 then 3 straight passes and a Fg.
They were down 13-10 and had run 5 times for 57 yards and thrown 9 times. They kc scored to make it 20-10.
this, a team that went 14-2 last year running more than twice as much as they threw.
They didn’t fall behind because the run was stopped and then they had to throw and couldn’t, they fell behind because they didn’t establish the run even when kc wasn’t coming close to stopping it.

How did we get from Sony being a JAG to Cam Newton not being any good?
Via the 'we coulda had Lamar' card, just like to the 'we coulda had Chubb' card you're familiar with. It's all a bunch of pointless looking into the rear view mirror wishing we had a time machine kind of stuff. IMO this kind of whining takes away from enjoying what we do have.

Via the 'we coulda had Lamar' card, just like to the 'we coulda had Chubb' card you're familiar with. It's all a bunch of pointless looking into the rear view mirror wishing we had a time machine kind of stuff. IMO this kind of whining takes away from enjoying what we do have.
It would be disingenuous of me to say I would've rather had Lamar over Sony at the time. I didn't like his taking a running back early but I thought Lamar would be a huge bust.

You have to give credit when it's due. Sony just had the best game of his Patriots career. He looked explosive and he looked like a threat just about every time he touched the ball. 9 carries for 117 yards with a 13.0 ypc. Can't ask for much more than that from your RB.

Now I'd like to see consistency. I was tired of seeing 3 yards and a cloud of dust Michel. Show me more of the Sony vs Raiders guy over the next few games and I'll be sold.

I don’t understand.
The patriots have a qb who is not a good passer but is a good runner. A guy who can throw effectively if you limit his throws to situations that are favorable to him (play action, only 4 dbs, favorably down and distance, etc) and will struggle if you ask him
to run a pass oriented offense.
Is your argument they are going to lose because of him, or they should run a pass heavy offense?
Mine is the best chance they have is to commit to the run, be conservative, have him throw in favorable situations, scold him when he thinks he can throw into heavy coverage like he did last week and win by being more physical than the opponent.

Baltimore’s offense failed last night because they didn’t commit to the run. They felt they had to throw to keep up with mahomes. Perhaps they did,but they had no chance of doing that, just like we will have no chance of doing that. Kc didn’t stop the run, Baltimore never tried to run. Their RBs has 12 total carries.
look at the first drive. 4 runs in 5 plays to get to the 15 then 3 straight passes and a Fg.
They were down 13-10 and had run 5 times for 57 yards and thrown 9 times. They kc scored to make it 20-10.
this, a team that went 14-2 last year running more than twice as much as they threw.
They didn’t fall behind because the run was stopped and then they had to throw and couldn’t, they fell behind because they didn’t establish the run even when kc wasn’t coming close to stopping it.
It's simple and you keep ignoring it, you can't get down in points and "commit to the run."

You'll run out of time before you score enough to win, once you're down you need to score and passing is the only way to catch up. As soon as Baltimore went down they were done because Jackson is worse than Cam at passing.

Cam is older and more experienced, his issues throwing accurately have to do with footwork, mechanics and decision making... not some flaw in his arm. They need to make him at least as good a passer as Joe Flacco in his prime or Matt Cassel at his best. They won't always play with a lead in a three game playoff series.

People act like it was a straight chase down and not because Michel made a cut to follow a block. If Michel just stayed straight Morrow never would have caught him.

There you go again.. Using facts.. Isn't it obvious that they don't care about them..

Uhhh...Yeah he should be...Sony was terrific after the 1st quarter, but that doesn't now make him a better pro than Chubb is.

I was responding to his allegation that the Patriots running back corps is not a top 10 group. Maybe you wouldn't take any of them top 25 individually, but as a collective? They're really good at a variety of things. I'm pretty happy with them as a group.

In week one N'Keal had a career high in targets and yards, in week two he almost doubled it. Byrd has played well. Not only are these receivers playing better but doing so with a lesser passer. It's attitude. Cam treats N'Keal like "a little brother," Tom treated all the rookies like red headed step children.

Cam passed because Seattle sold out to stop the run and because they were behind, and he actually looked much better in the two minute drill than he did dropping back after leaving the huddle. Seattle's defensive backfield is currently the worst in the NFL statistically, if they couldn't pass against Seattle... then who?
Sorry but the bolded really isn't true...I do agree with the 2nd paragraph however.

It would be disingenuous of me to say I would've rather had Lamar over Sony at the time. I didn't like his taking a running back early but I thought Lamar would be a huge bust.
Yep, I really didn't want Lamar Jackson there either...Though I also didn't figure on losing Jacoby Brissett before the season even started, after losing Grop during the previous season...

I was responding to his allegation that the Patriots running back corps is not a top 10 group. Maybe you wouldn't take any of them top 25 individually, but as a collective? They're really good at a variety of things. I'm pretty happy with them as a group.
Oops...yeah I did misinterpret the post, sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots