PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why does 1st round pick Sony Michel play like a jag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol it's not like the other RBs are running any better, Taylor had a good game against the Dolphins but he was a no show against a better opponent. Our best RB is James White, my condolences for him, but it is not for his running skills, but his pass catching skills.

Not only that but if Sony is in the game, he's either running or blocking, which becomes very one dimensional. 1They should involve him more in the passing game more to at least make our offense more dynamic.

He’s probably never going to be 100% healthy if that knee is bone-on-bone. I appreciate what he did for the team in the 2018 run, but I’m not expecting much from him anymore.
I hope not, that is what happened to Todd Gurley.

This is why I think teams should never draft RBs in the first round unless they are generational talents, and even then, they are still a risk. Look at Saquon Barkley, one of the best runners in the league, just blew his ACL. Todd Gurley, another generational RB talent, also had major knee issues after signing a long-term extension.

How many RBs drafted in the first round are still among the very best? Zeke, CMC, and Josh Jacobs. The rest are all picked in the second round or later. Fournette is good but he's not anywhere as good as we expected, and he was a generational RB prospect.

Sure, Michel was drafted at the end of the first round, but he wasn't a generational talent, and scouts were already worried about his knee problems, so it's not like Belichick was blindsided by the injuries.

Running backs should be treated like relief pitchers in baseball: have a ton of them and use them in various situations.

Yeah he’s been a disappointment overall for a 1st rounder. I appreciate his 2018 postseason and that makes the pick not a total loss but I’m about ready to see what Harris can do, another fairly high pick (2nd rounder?). Even Taylor has looked at least as effective as Michel this year, some reason only got 1 carry in Seattle where he had about 5 guys draped around him instantly. I would say try to trade Michel next year but doubt we’d even get anything for him, might as well keep the depth.

By this time in his career, if Michel was going to show flashes of brilliance...he would have shown it by now. He is what he is and I doubt he is going to improve substantially. To be honest, i think Steven Ridley was a better RB than Michel. That being said, I am not sure there is any substantiated evidence that he is out of shape and did not work hard in the offseason. That is just speculation;lation and I do not think BB would have him out there as starting RB if that were the case.

I do believe the Patriots made a mistake by not signing either Fournette or AP, when they became available (when Pats had plenty of cap space).

The running game absolutely matters but running backs don't. For the most part. It's not like "anyone" can replace a good back. It's just not that hard to find them so why make it more complicated than it has to be?

Especially as the position WR/RB positions morph into one another from a physique standpoint. It's just not as hard to find those guys (5'9-6'2/200-215) as opposed to other positions.

Anyway they're a "cherry" on top of a sundae. KC kinda used that approach and I feel we did as well. Looking back at our roster. QB situation. Adding a "Sony" or what we thought we were getting was actually pretty exciting. The thought of a dynamic back into this offense was scary.

I'm on record of saying it wouldn't have been my pick but I get it. Again you have your "meal", here's some " dessert". Bill brought in two "win now" guys to seemingly help Brady in my eyes.

What happened to Sony from college to pros is anyone's guess. It's really something though bc pre-draft it was all about injuries. We never saw this player in college. It's two different people. At least imo. I feel like I can spot bad evaluation after doing this a bit and this isn't that. Like he's not even close to the person we watched in college?

Harry is a different story. Not to change subjects but there were questions ranging from his release to how he'd adjust to the speed of the game. I liked him and thought he really excelled at what made him good. Like he wasn't great at a lot but the few things he did do well, he was gifted at. Recently burnt with Butler thinking along the same lines. One last thing here. The NFL was wrong here and they're supposed to be head and shoulders above everyone. SF was going after Harry that draft. Probably would've had him > Deebo if you believe what's out there and I do. Also DK fell to like a pick before the 3rd round. Sometimes you just miss on guy.

Anyway I don't look back and wonder why didn't we draft another RB. I see Sony/Lamar when it's more than obvious - beyond clear. There was internal strife between coach & QB. Again in my mind it seemed like Bill was in "win now" mode with those picks.

Unfortunate about Sony but he's not a bust. We just over-drafted him by a round or two. And let's not ignore the obvious he probably hasn't been healthy since grade school.

Hopefully he's healthy enough from here on out.

somehow this guy was drafted over Lamar Jackson and Calvin Ridley

The running game absolutely matters but running backs don't. For the most part. It's not like "anyone" can replace a good back. It's just not that hard to find them so why make it more complicated than it has to be?

Especially as the position WR/RB positions morph into one another from a physique standpoint. It's just not as hard to find those guys (5'9-6'2/200-215) as opposed to other positions.

Anyway they're a "cherry" on top of a sundae. KC kinda used that approach and I feel we did as well. Looking back at our roster. QB situation. Adding a "Sony" or what we thought we were getting was actually pretty exciting. The thought of a dynamic back into this offense was scary.

I'm on record of saying it wouldn't have been my pick but I get it. Again you have your "meal", here's some " dessert". Bill brought in two "win now" guys to seemingly help Brady in my eyes.

What happened to Sony from college to pros is anyone's guess. It's really something though bc pre-draft it was all about injuries. We never saw this player in college. It's two different people. At least imo. I feel like I can spot bad evaluation after doing this a bit and this isn't that. Like he's not even close to the person we watched in college?

Harry is a different story. Not to change subjects but there were questions ranging from his release to how he'd adjust to the speed of the game. I liked him and thought he really excelled at what made him good. Like he wasn't great at a lot but the few things he did do well, he was gifted at. Recently burnt with Butler thinking along the same lines. One last thing here. The NFL was wrong here and they're supposed to be head and shoulders above everyone. SF was going after Harry that draft. Probably would've had him > Deebo if you believe what's out there and I do. Also DK fell to like a pick before the 3rd round. Sometimes you just miss on guy.

Anyway I don't look back and wonder why didn't we draft another RB. I see Sony/Lamar when it's more than obvious - beyond clear. There was internal strife between coach & QB. Again in my mind it seemed like Bill was in "win now" mode with those picks.

Unfortunate about Sony but he's not a bust. We just over-drafted him by a round or two. And let's not ignore the obvious he probably hasn't been healthy since grade school.

Hopefully he's healthy enough from here on out.

Thing with Sony, I like him and his attitude, and he's not a bad player. He was just pretty bad value as a first round draft pick. They must have thought he'd be so much more than he's been.

I don't mind - even with the knowledge now - taking Sony ahead of Nick Chubb. But I personally think that you should never draft a RB in the 1st unless you are talking about a potential transcendent talent. I was pretty stunned they took Michel in the 1st back during the 2018 draft.

I rarely see holes for the guy to exploit
Ding ding ding we have a Winner!!! This is the biggest issue and has been for many years. OL run blocking has been awful quite often. If there are no holes to run through or defenders are already in hole or backfield when you are getting ball.....it’s not the RB fault. In regards to Sony himself, I didn’t expect him to last very long in the league due to the status of his knees. He does seem slower this year so maybe injuries are a factor.

It looks like he's made more of an effort this season to keep the legs churning...more so then in previous years...but he's still not going anywhere.
Part of it may be on him but honestly run tape replay of OL run blocking...it is pretty awful overall...

No Nick Chubb comparisons or comments?? How I miss those never ending arguments... or how BB does not know how to build teams.

Things can be multiple things at once, everybody

Sony did pay for itself with that PO perfomance. He is also performing like **** for 1 year and counting.

Yes, the O;line has been hot and cold in creating running lanes, but its not like there are many OLs better than ours. If he cant run behind our guys, where is he going to find "bigger lanes"?

Last edited:
Part of it may be on him but honestly run tape replay of OL run blocking...it is pretty awful overall...

Bad run blocking Sunday night but pretty good last week. Really good run blocking in 2018. By the end of the year, the Pats were probably the best run blocking team in the NFL In 2018.

Sony has holes but doesn’t always seem to find them or find them fast enough. Running backs have a short shelf life, which makes Frank Gore‘s longevity look amazing.

I know I always expect first rounders to be instant impact, immediate starters, All-Pro and HoF types right out of the gate. Not being facetious. I know this is a "me" problem and not a "them" problem. Sony did enough in the 2018 run to warrant his draft position, in my opinion. He's not a bust, and he's not generational, all-pro, first ballot HoF guy. He is what he is. If he's indeed bone on bone in his knee, he is going to be one of those short career guys.

If you want to ***** about anything, IMO, you can say he was drafted a round or two too high. I don't think any of us who be complaining if he was a third rounder.

I know I always expect first rounders to be instant impact, immediate starters, All-Pro and HoF types right out of the gate. Not being facetious. I know this is a "me" problem and not a "them" problem. Sony did enough in the 2018 run to warrant his draft position, in my opinion. He's not a bust, and he's not generational, all-pro, first ballot HoF guy. He is what he is. If he's indeed bone on bone in his knee, he is going to be one of those short career guys.

If you want to ***** about anything, IMO, you can say he was drafted a round or two too high. I don't think any of us who be complaining if he was a third rounder.

The average shelf life of a NFL player is 3.3 years...

The 2018 playoff run was worth the 1st round pick. But he does look slower than what he looked like in college. At least he's not tentative and still hits the hole pretty hard and maximizes what the OL opens up for him. He just doesn't get enough yards on his own like elite RBs.

Because NE cant draft a RB or WR.

This season is so far so good on Harry, but Im going to take a wait and see approach.

Because NE cant draft a RB or WR.

This season is so far so good on Harry, but Im going to take a wait and see approach.
See, this is where you lose me Triumph

WR, yeah, i can give it to you, I even agree to a certain point

But we NEVER had RB problems. And much of it goes in hand with excellent drafting... Ridley, Vareen, White and many other who composed our stable overt the years were guys that were at least decent and Drafted.

I know that our main backs are usually pieces that we scout from outside, but we never have been a 1-RB kind of team and never will... Plus, Overall, Michel did give us one decent season and one bad season as the main RB (regular season only)

Even during Brady's final years (including SB runs), havent we always got one of the best Rushing offenses in at least most of those? (top 10 or something)?.

Sorry for the long text, i know you werent being specific at any player either

Hi, are you from Planet Earth? Just wondering..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes