PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do people say Mac Jones has a weak arm?

Most drafts I saw, once people started paying attention had Mac going in the first round.

I'll say it again though: sports science once did a special about how some QBs that showed super strong arms in practice/challenges did not show those same arms in games. Sports Science did a special which showed Brady throws the ball with more zip (velocity) than any other QB, and I maintain that was so because of Brady's mechanics and accuracy.

If you're accurate, you can afford to put more zip on the ball, but if cranking up your throw results in more inaccuracy, then you're not going to do it as much during a game.

I absolutely believe it.

No one can watch “big-armed” Joe Flacco and conclude he throws with even average zip in games. He can throw it high and deep pretty well, but he sucks on those 15-20 yarder….rainbows them.

Andy Dalton and Patrick Mahomes had similar velocity/MPH combine scores.

I’ve thought for years Brady can make throws no other QB can make. It’s obvious. A lot of it has to do with having the stomach to take that risk to throw a fastball into a tiny window, and the footwork to drive his body into the pass.

The way these pundits opinions are formed based on scouts takes, perceptions, etc. is just unbelievable. They’ll keep saying for years how someone has such a “huge arm” when we can see clearly that guy does not.

I dunno. It passes the sniff test - Josh Allen is the highest rated at the combine and has what I think is the biggest arm.

Quarterback Ball Velocity at NFL Combine 2008-2020 (ourlads.com)

Okay sure - I know what you are thinking maybe guys aren't really trying. But when they do try those are the kind of numbers they produce that is in the normal range of throws..

Check out Mahommes trying to throw it fast..

How Fast Does Patrick Mahomes Throw A Ball?! | NFL Total Access | NFL Highlights HD - YouTube

Ryan Mallet has a huge arm - maybe he wasn't the most accurate but he could throw it pretty far.. And again combine numbers seem to reflect that..

It's too bad Mac wasn't at the combine because as with his run speed - I think his arm would be better then people think.. I'd wager that Mac Jones arm would be as scouted - NFL average so like 56 in velocity... I think they do track this with the advanced stats - so would be very curious to know what his fastest pass was this year..

Another guy who claimed Mac Jones has a weak arm is Rex Ryan.. He called it a pea shooter. The scouts didn't claim that though - just said it was not elite. AKA among NFL QBs it would be average. If you really want to think about this you have to ask among NFL starters who has a weaker arm?

Tua? Garrapollo? Tannehill? Darnold? When you think of it like that - its pretty likely his arm is NFL average. Not that this dooms him or anything but if OP really wants to know where this idea comes from - it comes from scouts and rex ryan.
Yea it's better than nothing in that regard. I always like to have more info even if I end up disregarding it for w/e reason or eventually don't find it useful.

I just think guys like Allen, Mallet etc have crazy strong arms so everything will always comes out fast.

I look at Nathan Peterman > D Watson and other examples like that and think things might be different if guys were really engaged and focusing on that.

Again not the worst thing in the world. A lot better than nothing.

Seemed pretty strong holding on to Burns' leg

he short arms it a bit, doesn't look like a fluid throwing motion. But Rivers had a pretty good career.

he short arms it a bit, doesn't look like a fluid throwing motion. But Rivers had a pretty good career.
I hope he can be better than Rivers.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back