PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will lead the patriots in rushing yards this season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will lead the patriots in rushing yards this season?

• Gilislee - Hes more than just a short yardage guy!

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • Burkhead - Hes looked solid and a double threat

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Dion Lewis - He started the preseason game so...

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • James White - Just look what he did in the SB

• Brady - ok he had a nice run against Detroit!

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Blount - Philly will cut him and he somehow finds his way back

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagg

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
So to me one of the biggest mystery is how we use these RBs this year. Interested to hear thoughts from around the forum.

I think it's competitive field and injuries to gillislee and Lewis keep it competitive. It's easy to assume that with 4 running back one of them is going to step up and take out the number one job. But I've seen a lot of situations where the question of which of several athletes will take over the number one job was answered: none of the above.

Running back by committee can work if everybody stays healthy but running back is a position where health is a Perpetual concern. Our biggest concern is the starter at the running back position could be won by default.

There may be a few games this season with only Burkhead and white dressing. We have the quarterback to make the offense with those two running backs. But asking question who's going to lead the team in rushing this year it's basically asking question who stays healthy, we just don't know that.

I think it's competitive field and injuries to gillislee and Lewis keep it competitive. It's easy to assume that with 4 running back one of them is going to step up and take out the number one job. But I've seen a lot of situations where the question of which of several athletes will take over the number one job was answered: none of the above.

Running back by committee can work if everybody stays healthy but running back is a position where health is a Perpetual concern. Our biggest concern is the starter at the running back position could be won by default.

There may be a few games this season with only Burkhead and white dressing. We have the quarterback to make the offense with those two running backs. But asking question who's going to lead the team in rushing this year it's basically asking question who stays healthy, we just don't know that.

Good analysis! Thanks!

I agree that it feels like it's shaping up to be an RBBC season, with the "feature back" varying from opponent-to-opponent based on what defensive weakness the Pats will be attempting to exploit (assuming that all the RBs are healthy).

We might be looking at a deal where Gillislee has a "Jonas Gray breakout" game in Week-2 that has a lot of Pats' fans handing him the 2017 rushing title. And then he goes relatively quiet for 2-3 games, which will generate a lot of "Is he hurt again? Is he in BB's doghouse for something?"

Whatever happens, we're in for a wild ride.

The use/performance of RBs in the three pre-season games so far doesn't provide much in the way of clues about who gets the most rushing yards this season; just raises a couple more questions for me, really.

Foster and Lewis are the only RBs to get carries in all three contests, and both did about the same, if you subtract their longest run for each game before calculating their YPA. Both fought hard for the extra yard after contact. Lewis seemed to be a bit more successful at that.

Bolden got carries in the first two games, and had a pretty solid "adjusted YPA" - only got stuffed once, IIRC.

The only carries for Daniels came in the first game, and he actually ran with a bit of authority. I'd like him on the PS/scout team.

Burkhead only got carries in the second game, but may have gotten some in the 3rd game, if he'd been healthy (something to consider for the future). He got stuffed a couple times (once was a horrible blocking breakdown), but fought hard for yardage.

Gillislee finally got healthy enough to get carries in game-3 (his only appearance so far).

White appeared in all three games, IIRC, but only got carries in game-3. It was only four carries, but it's maybe interesting that he's the only RB who didn't get stuffed once. All of his carries went for decent yardage.

In contrast, Gillislee had the one really long run, one other carry for good yards, and the rest of the time averaged about 1.6 yards (even extracting his two short goal line carries). I'm not implying that this is necessarily a problem, just saying that he probably needs more work to get into rhythm with the offense. Most of his "truncated" carries seemed to result from the hole not being where he expected it to be and/or from running into the backs of his own blockers.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see who gets carries tonight against NYG. White and Burkhead are almost certain to NOT participate. Daniels and Bolden are almost certain to get a lot of work. Foster, too - and it'll be interesting to see whether or not he lines up in the slot at all.

Gillislee might get a few more "refresher" carries tonight.

I wouldn't expect to see Lewis at all. However, if he gets a lot of work, that might get folks speculating about his future roster status.

Let's just spread the love. Among the RBs, Gillislee will lead in rushing yards, White in receiving yards, Burkhead in yards from scrimmage, and Lewis in all-purpose yards.

"Brady - OK he had a nice run versus Detroit"

That wasn't a nice run. It was a nightmare waiting to happen. He didn't even slide.

It's gonna be either Gillislee or Lewis. Voted for Gillislee but could easily see Lewis overshadowing all the other RBs considering he can do a little of everything.

Gillisslee is going for over 1,000 yards in this offense if that hamstring holds up. If not? My bet would be Burkhead.

Gillislee probably leads in totes, yards & TDs. White might be second, though, with Burkhead a close third and Lewis seeing a lot of targets from the slot rather than carries from the backfield.

In 2015, Lewis saw 50 targets in just 7 games. Had a 72% catch rate, 10.8 ypc.

It's gonna be great. Belichick has hinted he doesn't want to telegraph the play call like they had to when Blount was in at RB. Any four of the main RBs could be in and it could still be run or pass. I think we're going to see the Patriots reinvent yet another personnel grouping this year.

Last edited:
It's gonna be great. Belichick has hinted he doesn't want to telegraph the play call like they had to when Blount was in at RB. Any four of the main RBs could be in and it could still be run os pass. I think we're going to see the Patriots reinvent yet another personnel grouping this year.

Remember 2013 when BB's buddy Chip Kelly's 2 RB set was going to take the league by storm, and then it pretty much face-planted and was written off as a cray ide doomed to failure? This year may be BB saying, "Hold my beer."

I miss the days I could choose "Ray Lewis killed a guy". Having said that, IF they stay healthy, I expect G to lead them in rushing. Even in limited usage in Buffalo, he was efficient & strong.

Probably Gillislee but who knows. Like others have said health will likely play into it. I'm really looking forward to watching this group, they are talented and versatile. It'll be interesting to see where the numbers end up at the end of the season. We ran the ball a lot last year and I think with the RBs we have this year, the YPC should trend up and that would lead to a great year rushing.

Is this the year McDaniels introduces the three back set, and then passes out of it? Those poor linebackers

Gillisle leads in yards if he stays healthy, imo he will feast in this offense where defenses are forced to key on the pass.

Is it just me or does white look better between the tackles this offseason...he continues to improve.

Burkhead looks good as advertised.

Lewis should be better a year removed from the injury.

The rb position imo has been upgraded in a big way and an underrated part of what will make us so hard to stop thiz year

Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back