PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

'16 Blount/White vs '17 Lewis/Burkhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many won’t agree but I think they intend to utilize Gillislee more in the postseason. They’ve kept him very fresh. I can see him being the late game battering ram that Blount sometimes served as.

headclouds.gif

Folks seem to think that it is a waste to have a $3M on the inactive list. For me, I'm fine.

We entered the season with White, as the solid, almost indestructible 3rd down back. He could run from scrimmage if necessary. But, he was primarily a receiver and is great at picking up the blitz.

We had Lewis coming back from injury into his contract year.. We hadn't a clue when he would be 100%, how durable he would be and how many reps he could have at various part of the year.

Belichick had the opportunity to bring in two additional backs, one for one year (Burkhead), and one for two years (Gillislie).

Many here seemed to expect to have them ALL active, plus Develin. That was never going to happen.

BOTTOM LINE FOR ME
It is a luxury to have all four of the RB's healthy and producing. I would expect the norm to be to have one banged up. FOR ME, I'm fine with having 4 RB's, all capable of starting, and all capable of catching passes. Ideally, at least would be good at picking up the blitz.

It turned out that Lewis was able to take a full load and is 100%, and Gillislie is inactive. it could have been the reverse. Or, Burkhead or White could inactive.

I would have no concern with any of the four being inactive. I look forward to having Gillislie on the team next year. And of course, I would like us to re-sign Lewis and Burkhead.

This is the best RB group we’ve ever had IMO. The versatility of these guys is amazing.

I think by splitting the load they’re all relatively fresh and I wouldn’t have any fears with any of them being the go to guy in a particular game.

Dion is so much fun to watch and James White will forever hold a special place in my heart (much like Vereen) after his clutch Super Bowl performance.

I'd argue that Blount was a net negative in the Pats' playoff run. In 6 playoff games with the team he had one really great game against the Colts and a bunch of outright useless ones. He was ineffective in both Super Bowls and his fumble in SB51 was a game changer at the time.

It's hard to remember a player who gets more overrated on the basis of a few good games against mostly terrible run D's.

That's a very good point. His monster game happened to be his FIRST playoff game with us, so even though he has been a non factor (or worse) in the others our lasting impression is his dominance in the first playoff game. Sometimes first impressions stick, and in this case it makes Blount playoff fool's gold. That was a good point you brought up.

I'd argue that Blount was a net negative in the Pats' playoff run. In 6 playoff games with the team he had one really great game against the Colts and a bunch of outright useless ones. He was ineffective in both Super Bowls and his fumble in SB51 was a game changer at the time.

It's hard to remember a player who gets more overrated on the basis of a few good games against mostly terrible run D's.

Blount in the playoffs for the Pats:

2013 - age 27, 153 regular season carries, 2 playoff games
- IND ... 24/166 yds, 4 TDs
- DEN ... 5/6 yds (Vereen+Ridley = 9/51 yds, 5.7 ypa)

2014 - age 28, 125 regular season carries, 3 playoff games
- BAL ... 3/1 yd (Vereen+Bolden = 4/13 yds, 3.25 ypa)
- IND ... 30/148 yds, 3 TDs
- SEA ... 14/40 yds, 2.9 ypa (Vereen = 4/13, 3.25 ypa)

2015 - age 29, IR'd in wk-15 with hip injury

2016 - age 30, 299 regular season carries, 3 playoff games
- HOU ... 8/31 yds, 3.9 ypa (Lewis = 13/41 yds, 3.2 ypa)
- PIT ... 16/47 yds, 2.9 ypa, 1 TD (Lewis+White = 7/11 yds, 1.6 ypa)
- ATL ... 11/31 yds, 2.8 ypa, fumble (Lewis+White = 12/56, 4.7 ypa, 2 TDs)

You didn’t like that pile run against the squealers? He had over a hundred yards and a td in the afc game last year didn’t he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe