PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafoe2016

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I know it's only three games, but I am worried. He looks like a JAG to me. As did Burkhead with an even smaller sample size. Lewis does not look the same and White is an excellent third down back, but that still leaves us with no true lead back. It's a passing league. I get that. But it would nice if we had a legitimate option to take some pressure off Brady. Is there a single D coordinator that is worried about Gilleslee on 3rd and short running a draw play? Iu know I wouldn't be.

I just don't understand why we have to watch a never ending stream of bad RBs here. Not counting Faulk because he was a third down back, but since Martin was stolen from us 20 years ago, our top three backs have been Dillon, Smith and Blount. All of whom played for us for a very brief period. Everyone else is a JAG. Even Blount was a borderline JAG. But he had a particular skill set and was very good as a power back.

I know. Bill is the GOAT. And every other team in the league would kill to have our success during his tenure. I'm a whiny, entitled, spoiled fan. Blah, blah, blah..... It's just frustrating. I was a RB in high school. It's what drew me to the game. I love watching the great ones. It's a bit demoralizing to watch so many teams bring guys of the bench (in the modern two and three back systems) that are better than our lead back. They seem to grow on trees these days and we can't even get one?

Their DL is way better than our OL. Pretty much end of story - none of the stops today were at Gillislee's door. Instead, all stem from our current inability to run block and stop penetration.

Last edited:
Houston has a pretty good defense: they did lead the NFL in yardage last year, and that was without their best defender.

While the run game has been a disappointment, I will hesitate to point fingers at Gillislee or any of the other backs. The play calling on certain downs was suspect. If anything I'd look at the offensive line, which by the way was without one of their starters.

BB's approach has been RB by committee for some time and I am fine with it. Team generally does not invest a lot of $ in the position yet they have been effective. MG has been a fine replacement for Blount. Besides the great Dillon year this group compares favorably with most of their other backfields in the past 15 years.

Given the realities of the salary cap, having a great player/group at every position/unit is impossible. Considering the rules and current state of the NFL it makes more sense to allocate limited resources to the passing game than the running game.

Last year Buffalo led the NFL with 5.3 yards per carry. Cleveland was 2nd at 4.9 yards per carry. Tennessee and Chicago were close behind with 4.6 yards per carry.

None of those teams made the playoffs. They combined for a record of 20-44.

He's not elite or anything, but he's solid at what we ask him to do and is an upgrade over Blount. We may have overpaid a bit for him, but I'm not going to stress out over that.

Burkhead looks pretty good IMO. Was very versatile last week and was a real weapon. Sample size is still way too small to make any real evaluation though.

Hard to make positive yards when you're greeted by a 300lb'er that is in the backfield with you in a split second. I agree that the play calls have been suspect at times. When you run 3 plays in a row into the middle of the line, the D kind of knows what you're doing. Not good against any D line, especially against a far superior line.

i watched him last year with buff...he is a good back, runs hard

I know it's only three games, but I am worried. He looks like a JAG to me. As did Burkhead with an even smaller sample size. Lewis does not look the same and White is an excellent third down back, but that still leaves us with no true lead back. It's a passing league. I get that. But it would nice if we had a legitimate option to take some pressure off Brady. Is there a single D coordinator that is worried about Gilleslee on 3rd and short running a draw play? Iu know I wouldn't be.

I just don't understand why we have to watch a never ending stream of bad RBs here. Not counting Faulk because he was a third down back, but since Martin was stolen from us 20 years ago, our top three backs have been Dillon, Smith and Blount. All of whom played for us for a very brief period. Everyone else is a JAG. Even Blount was a borderline JAG. But he had a particular skill set and was very good as a power back.

I know. Bill is the GOAT. And every other team in the league would kill to have our success during his tenure. I'm a whiny, entitled, spoiled fan. Blah, blah, blah..... It's just frustrating. I was a RB in high school. It's what drew me to the game. I love watching the great ones. It's a bit demoralizing to watch so many teams bring guys of the bench (in the modern two and three back systems) that are better than our lead back. They seem to grow on trees these days and we can't even get one?
Nobody was running on the DL today, especially given our OL.

They aren't going to spend a fortune to please you while Brady throws for 300-400 yards a game. Sorry.

Gillislie will be fine the more he works with the OLine

They have spent good money on our rbs this year. I feel Blount would have gotten these 3 and 1 runs.

I fear that Gillislee is a middle class man's Jonas Gray. Takes exactly what the offensive line gives him. Nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately our offensive line gives nothing.

Plus, McDaniels keeps calling the most predictable plays for Gillislee.

It seems they are forcing the issue with Gilly because I see just as much success when we run with white and Lewis. Maybe the reason is to have them fresher during the last half of the season.

Whatever is happening that's causing us to fail on a lot of 3rd and 4th and shorts needs to be addressed. I think we win game 1 if we get that 1st 4th and short conversion against KC because it would have really put them in a position to have to start calling the game differently.

Whatever is happening that's causing us to fail on a lot of 3rd and 4th and shorts needs to be addressed. I think we win game 1 if we get that 1st 4th and short conversion against KC because it would have really put them in a position to have to start calling the game differently.

I still wish we had Blount, he really embraced his role - saying that the Edelman injury has hurt since he was so sure handed on out routes and gave Brady the ability to audible to a pass. Also Edelman was a great blocker for a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back