PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this kid Ralph Webb make a case for a roster spot in the 53 I have this feeling James White becomes an interesting trade asset.

Anyone other than Brady, really... with BB there are just so many surprises. I hope he wouldn’t, but how shocked would we be to see him move on from Gronk ? I’m glad/surprised he wasn’t traded draft weekend.

It’s almost easier to guess who is NOT going to be dealt. I’d put Brady, Trent Brown, Slater, Cardona, DMac as my « they would surprise me » if they aren’t on the roster game 1.

No one this year. There is no player that they can't resign that is pro bowl level due to be a free agent.

Based on past history, Shaq Mason or Trey Flowers to any team willing to
pay at least a third round pick. The Patriots will not pay the going price
for this quality of player.

Seems like we are DB and DE heavy trade any to a Heavy WR Team and get a decent one in return.

I dont think they are giving up a player this year but I can see them trading a mid to late round pick for a WR.

Originally I had it pegged as an lineman but hear me out... We dont know how long we have Trent Brown for. If he goes off and becomes a household LT name he may price himself out of here. Then you have Wynn ready to slide into the LT position if thats the case. If you trade Thuney however and Brown does leave for a payday...you now have a hole at LG and maybe RG too is Mason leaves. I think you keep as many olinemen onboard as you can this year. Make honest efforts to lock up trent brown and mason.

I dont think they foreshadowed this WR situation.. Matthews and Britt Injuries, Edelman 4 games..Mitchell's knee giving out. So they'll need to get creative to address it.

I'd keep an eye on the Lions/Titans who both have some decent talent spread out their WRs that probabbly wont be too expensive and can contribute.

No way any of the people Patsfans would like to see traded get traded. Source: All of recorded Belichick history

If this kid Ralph Webb make a case for a roster spot in the 53 I have this feeling James White becomes an interesting trade asset.

Think you got yourself some preseason binkie fever (also known as Chris Harper disease) as so many do every preseason when they see someone do well with the 3s against the other teams 3s.

I dont think they are giving up a player this year but I can see them trading a mid to late round pick for a WR.

Originally I had it pegged as an lineman but hear me out... We dont know how long we have Trent Brown for. If he goes off and becomes a household LT name he may price himself out of here. Then you have Wynn ready to slide into the LT position if thats the case. If you trade Thuney however and Brown does leave for a payday...you now have a hole at LG and maybe RG too is Mason leaves. I think you keep as many olinemen onboard as you can this year. Make honest efforts to lock up trent brown and mason.

I dont think they foreshadowed this WR situation.. Matthews and Britt Injuries, Edelman 4 games..Mitchell's knee giving out. So they'll need to get creative to address it.

I'd keep an eye on the Lions/Titans who both have some decent talent spread out their WRs that probabbly wont be too expensive and can contribute.

While I agree that a WR would be necessary it only makes sense if he can contribute with just a short ramp-up. There really is not much out there that fills those needs. Braxton Miller was my darkhorse a year ago to end up here but if BoB can't get anything out of him I am not sure Josh will be able to either.

Point being I think a lot of the "missing WR" will be absorbed by the flexibility of Hollister and Burkhead. Dont need to come out with 3 WRs that often if you have enough contributions from RBs and TEs. And lets not forget about Sony here either.

Hoyer was a nice add-on, last year, when it was the only option. Unfortunately, he’s almost certainly the only option again this season, which kind of sucks.

It wouldn't be out of character for the Jete to declare Darnold the starter and cut Bridgewater at the end of Camp.

The issue with trades in the NFL is usually you get "chump change" in return.. most trades seem to occur to underperforming players who were perceived to be better fits in the NFL than they actually are..

It wouldn't be out of character for the Jete to declare Darnold the starter and cut Bridgewater at the end of Camp.

I almost feel dirty to say that but the Jets played the Bridgewater situation well. Got him on the cheap and will be able to move him as an asset either at the end of camp for around a 3rd round pick (or more if injuries make someone desperate) or let him walk for a potential comp pick.

Granted you have to be in the right position to pull this off. There would never have been enough snaps here in Foxboro given to him to build up his value (except for the preseason games).

Who would you bring in as a back up, "Johnny Football"???

I fear at this point it seems to late to bring someone in to replace Hoyer on the 53. Unless you are prepared to go with 3 QBs and cut Hoyer midseason.

It seems to me that - for a trade to happen - there needs to be a clear redundancy at a position/role, and another team that's sufficiently interested in that specific player to be willing to pay at least minimum draft pick value.

However, WE don't really know yet what redundancies - if any - exist on the roster. Some POTENTIAL redundancies MAY include:

Rowe - if, and only if, JMAC has proven himself to be a starter, AND one or more of Lewis/Jackson/Crossen appear capable of being an emergency starter and solid ST contributer.
... Minimum price, probably a 4th-rounder. Unless he stays healthy and plays lights-out for the Pats in 2018, he seems unlikely to generate a 3rd-round comp-pick in 2019 FA.

Richards - if Pleasant pans out, the Pats might get a conditional 7th for Richards as a high-end STer from a team that might not have a solid chance to get a waiver-claim through (e.g., one of last season's playoff teams).

Malcom Brown - if, and only if, Valentine appears to be an adequate reserve/rotational sub for Shelton - a major stretch from my perspective.
... Minimum price: 4th-rounder. I'm not certain that Brown would get a 3rd-round Comp-pick level contract in 2019 (the DT pay-scale is very high), so the Pats may be able to retain him at reasonable money beyond 2018 anyway.

Trey Flowers - if, and only if, BOTH Rivers and Davis appear capable of handling fairly heavy snaps as part of a 4-man rotation with Clayborn and Wise. This seems fairly unlikely to me at this point.
... Minimum price: 3rd-rounder (FIRM). Flowers might already be in line to generate a 3rd-round level Comp pick in 2019 FA. A very good 2018 performance from him would virtually guarantee that.

Gillislee - as with Richards, there's outside chance that Pats could get a conditional 7th for him within a narrow set of circumstances

Dwayne Allen - if, and only if, BOTH Hollister AND Izzo have demonstrated very good blocking ability, AND Hollister's reported improvement as a receiver isn't being exaggerated.
... Minimum price: probably a 5th-rounder, maybe a 6th (due to current contract)

---------------
Mason - This one I'm not at all sure about because there are so many moving parts for which we know basically nothing about the coaches evals. The 2018 FA market seemed to sbe in the mood to pay high rates to good IOL. If that mood continues into 2019 FA, Mason is almost certain to generate a 3rd-round level Comp pick.

However, for the Pats to move on from Mason NOW (for a minimum 3rd-rounder), it seems to me pretty much ALL of the following conditions would need to be met:
- the coaches are confident that Cannon is likely to get, and remain, healthy
- that at least one of Waddle/Wynn/Tobin (?) would be a capable starter at RT
- that Thuney could move to RG and that Wynn could replace him at starting LG this season
- that Croston is a capable backup OG/swing-tackle
- that both Karras and Schwenke are capable backup OC/OG
- that there's at least SOME chance they'll be able to re-sign Trent Brown to a longer term deal
(making the 2018 AND 2019 starting OL Brown-Wynn-Andrews-Thuney-Cannon)

I fear at this point it seems to late to bring someone in to replace Hoyer on the 53. Unless you are prepared to go with 3 QBs and cut Hoyer midseason.

The Pats could conceivably carry 3 QBs for the first four games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes