PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the team to beat in the NFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn’t much talent on that team.
Staley is a borderline HOF
MM on the other side has been pretty good as well.
Kittle is the best all around TE in the game & was last year too.

One of the more versatile FB's in the game in Juszczyk & Breida is good enough.

Buckner is a great DT. He's been in that top 10, hovering around top 5 for a while now. Considering the depth at the position rn Id say that's saying something.

Ford brings instant pass rush. All jokes aside he's exactly what that D needs. Same thing w Bosa but as long as hes healthy he'll be tearing up the league lile his bro.

Sherman still playing very well.

Tartt has quietly become a very good safety. Draftniks remember him for his aggressive style but hes made himself into a legit starter.

Fred Warner had a great year for a rookie. Swiss army knife type.

Staley is a borderline HOF
MM on the other side has been pretty good as well.
Kittle is the best all around TE in the game & was last year too.

One of the more versatile FB's in the game in Juszczyk & Breida is good enough.

Buckner is a great DT. He's been in that top 10, hovering around top 5 for a while now. Considering the depth at the position rn Id say that's saying something.

Ford brings instant pass rush. All jokes aside he's exactly what that D needs. Same thing w Bosa but as long as hes healthy he'll be tearing up the league lile his bro.

Sherman still playing very well.

Tartt has quietly become a very good safety. Draftniks remember him for his aggressive style but hes made himself into a legit starter.

Fred Warner had a great year for a rookie. Swiss army knife type.
Sure you name a bunch of players on any team but the overall talent is weak.
Too many weaknesses.

Since 6 will make the playoffs I figured by looking at who I thought they'd be it might help but it only got me as far as narrowing it to 3. The NFCN feels like a coin flip between the Bears and Vikes. As long as Cousins is at the helm I can't help but feel MN is a pretender, not a contender.
I'm far from sold on Trubisky but everything else is there for Chicago.
I can't take a Garrett coached team seriously nor one led by Prescott. That's a double whammy.
Rams are still looking backwards, not a good sign.
For a top 3 that leaves me with:
Atlanta, with even reasonable health their talent is among the best in the conference
Philly is still a formidable team, a lot rides on a fragile Wentz but otherwise they look good.
New Orleans, even if he has lost a step Brees is a top 5 QB, the rest of talent is certainly there and Payton is a great coach.

All things considered and forced to pick one I'll go with the Saints.

My 6 playoff teams in the NFC right now:

Chicago
Philly
New Orleans
San Fran (if Jimmy stays healthy)
Dallas
Rams (Think they’ll take a step back)

Fringe teams: Packers, Lions, Vikings Seahawks, Panthers, Falcons.

Will not compete: Redskins, Giants, Bucs, Cardinals.

Very competitive conference as usual. Chicago is probably my favorite right now.

The best team in the NFC is likely the same now as it was near the end of January. The Saints.

The best team in the NFC is likely the same now as it was near the end of January. The Saints.
Kind of tough to defend a team that for two years in a row blew the lead and lost. Non PI call on the side, they still could’ve prevented the Rams from tying the game but they didn’t.

I realize now I didn't really weigh in on this.

I don't believe the Rams or Saints will be the teams they were last year for the most part. I watched Brees vs the Jets and his arm just doesn't look the same. He still has great placement but the ability to really zip it in is lacking a tad. That will only get worse as the season goes on.

I still think the Saints make the playoffs but they will be hard pressed to get a bye. I see Chicago repeating last year which won't be enough.

The teams I fear the most in the NFC are the Panthers and Eagles. The Eagles of course have talent everywhere and if their QB comes through they will be a tough team to beat. They have talent everywhere pretty much.

It seems every year the Panthers are one of those teams that look good on paper but you wonder if they can put it together. This year I think their talent is being understated. After a down year last year I think they are hungry and retooled. I see them being dangerous.

Well, now that Mike McCarthy's gone, it's got to be Green Bay, right? I mean, that team has Aaron Rodgers, after all.

who has a great QB and great DBs?

Nobody really so it's a crapshot.

I think Eagles, especially with their front 7 depth. If they land Clowney, they are going to be incredibly tough to beat.

After googling who would win a death match between a lion and bear, I’m confused and on the fence. Definitely not a packer though.

TIL that giraffes can easily kill a lion or bear

Eagle without a doubt. Stacked on both sides of the ball and a cake walk schedule...

The Eagles will be back in the hunt.
The Vikings will win 12+ games I see the saints and fans taking a step back.
You naturally would expect their fans to take a step back if the team does. :D

I think Eagles, especially with their front 7 depth. If they land Clowney, they are going to be incredibly tough to beat.

I honestly don't see how the Eagles could potentially afford him. They might have 23M in space right now, but they are already 7M over the 2020 cap and only 7m under the cap for 2021.

There is really not much flexibility for them to do that without releasing other big price players.

I mean sure they could trade for one season of him but that would cost them a high round pick and even further limit any flexibility for the next 2-3 years.

Maybe send Jeffrey to the Texans for Clowney ? But then their offense takes a big step back in terms of diversity.

Never think about trusting the Cowboys until Jason Garrett is fired.

NFC contenders, in no particular order:

Bears: great defense, but I don't trust their QB at all
Saints: tons of talent, but the question is: has Brees hit his "cliff"?
Eagles: loaded, but Wentz needs to stay healthy...can he?
Rams: defending NFC champs (but shouldn't have been, right NO?), but I see a step back from them
Vikings: should be solid
Seahawks: I think they'll be better than anticipated
Cowboys: like their roster, but don't love their QB

AFC contenders, in no particular order:

Chiefs: loaded and should be an absolute handful
Patriots: defending champs are loaded for another run
Chargers: always feels like they're picked by lots of people, but Rivers doesn't get it done in the playoffs
Steelers: I expect a bounce-back year from them
Jaguars: I think Foles is a major QB upgrade from last year; just a season removed from nearly winning the AFCCG
Texans: I think Watson can be a special QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference