PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is going to be the 2023/24 breakout Patriot?

Cole Strange had technical issues last year. He even was benched at one point.

But with proper coaching the sky is the limit with this kid. He will play like an all pro sooner than later.

Bourne will thrive with O’Brien.

Can Christian Barmore take it to that next level? He certainly was dominant late last season after the injuries and relatively quiet play.

Of course all eyes will be on Christian Gonzalez.

My list from offense-->defense-->ST's below:

Cole Strange - Believe he will only get better and reduce his mistakes. I could see him being one of the best guards in the AFC this year.

Mac Jones - Believe we will see a massive leap from Jones this year that will quieten down all critics. Pretty sure the interceptions will be cut down because he won't be forcing balls as much as he did last year.

Ty Montgomery - If his injuries are all healed up, I think we will see him used a lot in the backfield.

Pierre Strong, Jr. - I didn't like his ST miscues last year, but the kid was really good in college. Between him and Montgomery...we should adequately replace Sweet Feet.

Tyquan Thorton - The kid has been around the facility all off-season. His numbers may not jump out, but I believe he'll be more a factor for DC's to game plan for.

Mike Gesicki - I agree, he adds an element that our offense didn't have a year ago...a massive PASS CATCHING upgrade over Jonnu Smith, IMO.

DeVante Parker - I know...hear me out....if the guy never gets dinged...his numbers would be good.

Christian Barmore - Same deal with DP above...no injuries and this kid will be a destroyer of worlds!

Ronnie Perkins - I am hoping we get him into the pass rushing rotation....I loved his college tape...just need to keep outta the tub.

Jack Jones - No gun troubles and this kid will be a lock down corner....I have no doubt about his on field abilities....that Rodgers pick six last year was a veteran move.

Dugger - The dude needs to be a destroyer of worlds...I am thinking all pro even....

Schooler - Needs to be Slater 2.0

Last year @TheRazorsEdge started this thread and I'm curious to see what others think as well.

Obviously, aside from Mac, it will be interesting to see who it is that has either a breakout year or just ends up surprising people.

OFFENSE:
1) Pierre Strong Jr. - He's so explosive in space (he had that 44yd run against the Cardinals in Week 14), curious to see if he emerges.
2) Pop Douglas - He's a shifty guy that I think might be the surprise name at the bottom of the depth chart.

DEFENSE:
1) Jalen Mills - Feels like he's poised for a big year with McCourty gone and he's better than some give him credit for.
2) Keion White - Love this kid's attitude
3) Sam Roberts - Liked him last year, definitely wondering if he'll take a step forward this season.

Hoping Tyquan Thornton obviously emerges (along with Gesicki, etc), and that Christian Gonzalez has a solid rookie campaign, but those are sort of obvious ones.

Agree with Double-D: he & Dawghouse Bourne might revitalize the Slot position as we've been used to seeing it played here... Still think JUSS sees more snaps from a Flanker/Split position than we might ass-ume... If he can even make it on the field at all, that is...

Don't be shocked if Douglas out-performs BoneyT from both a snaps and yardage perspective.

Disagree with Mills however: for a Free Safety, he doesn't have great instincts, nor does he really like to tackle... Otherwise he'll be fine back there.

Last edited:
Disagree with Mills however: for a Free Safety, he doesn't have great instincts, nor does he really like to tackle... Otherwise he'll be fine back there.
Agree. He also doesn’t have the same speed as McCourty or Jo. Jones. That’s important playing deep FS.

Redounds? Once or twice, ok, mistype.
4x? Redoundant
It's an intentional repetition for rhetorical effect, the repetend being "redounds to Mac Jones' benefit."
You'd be all like "Come on Winston, just say you'll fight them wherever."

It's an intentional repetition for rhetorical effect, the repetend being "redounds to Mac Jones' benefit."
You'd be all like "Come on Winston, just say you'll fight them wherever."
Eschew obfuscation

Marte freakin Mapu

Mac, Barmore and Strange

Offense:

Mac would be first on my list, but he doesn’t have the supporting cast to help him out. If he had 2 quality tackles and some gas in the tank with Hopkins signing, he’d be the clear cut pick.

Stevenson is next on the list. He is now the #1 back.

Defense:

Uche even with his 11 sacks last year. Why? Because nobody other than Pats fans knows who he is.

Dugger is 2nd in line.

Most DB’s have a welcome to the NFL moment, so Gonzalez is probably going to have growing pains. He’s 3rd on the list.

Who should break out:

Barmore. Diapers need to come of now buddy. He’s got other players surrounding him that can get to the QB such as Judon, Uche and Wise. They drafted White who should see playing time, so I don’t want to hear announcers say “Barmore almost got to the QB” anymore. Time to put some QB’s on their ass!

Last edited:
Barmore.

I want to see Gonzalez pop off as a rookie, exciting prospect.

Last year @TheRazorsEdge started this thread and I'm curious to see what others think as well.

Obviously, aside from Mac, it will be interesting to see who it is that has either a breakout year or just ends up surprising people.

Picking a couple of lower profile guys - or less obvious ones - on both sides of the ball, mine would be:

OFFENSE:
1) Pierre Strong Jr. - He's so explosive in space (he had that 44yd run against the Cardinals in Week 14), curious to see if he emerges.
2) Pop Douglas - He's a shifty guy that I think might be the surprise name at the bottom of the depth chart.

DEFENSE:
1) Jalen Mills - Feels like he's poised for a big year with McCourty gone and he's better than some give him credit for.
2) Keion White - Love this kid's attitude
3) Sam Roberts - Liked him last year, definitely wondering if he'll take a step forward this season.

Hoping Tyquan Thornton obviously emerges (along with Gesicki, etc), and that Christian Gonzalez has a solid rookie campaign, but those are sort of obvious ones.

Otherwise, definitely interested to hear what other people are thinking. :cool:
Just checked out last year ...
Barmore breaks out as a top 10-12 IDL - nope

Dugger as a top 10-12 Saf - yes

Came back to edit for Rham. He looked really really good last year. Hopefully he's improved on pass pro and both him and Harris catch a few more balls.  Yup

HM to Strong (perfect for stretch plays) I think he was impressive in limited showings

Zappe "breaks out" in camp & ps. That would be amazing. Yes

Both the Jones bros. We need Marcus to make plays and eventually lock down the slot and hopefully Jack can secure a role outside.
 Yes

LB Ray was really good value udfa. I'll definitely be watching him. no

I was a big fan of Wilson coming out. Hoping he can turn it around here. Same sentiment for McGrone. Athletic, tough kid that'll probably need a year to get set but he's what we need back there.  ugh

Last but not least Perkins and Uche. One of the two if not both would be much welcomed considering Judon & Barmore are our only consistent source of pass rush. 1/2

We need Barmore to emerge in the worst way.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back