PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is going to be the 2023/24 breakout Patriot?

the breakout star will be the kicker they drafted. I have no faith in this post-brady offense to score touchdowns. so we'll have lots of RYLAND! in the GDT, he may set rookie field goal records

Joe Judge and the special teams.

For me the interesting point is there are so many possibilities.
Among the rookies, I don't think you can pick a first rounder as a breakout candidate - they are expected to perform. Among the later picks Mapu could certainly qualify, as could one of the two late round WRs.
On the offensive side, Mac, Strange, Gesicki, Strong are all good candidates. On the defensive side there are too many to mention - Peppers, Dugger, Barmore are all obvious possibilities for a breakout.

Easy choices:
Parker
Gonzo
Mapu

I expect Barringer and Ryland to be solid, but not sure how a kicker and punter "break out"

Same as others mentioned…I don’t feel rookies can have a breakout season since it’s their 1st season or players that were traded and it’s their 1st season as well. Who I think (instead of want) will have breakouts in no order…

- Strange. I thought he had a good 1st season and will build up on that quite a bit in his 2nd.
- Strong. I thought he would have more of an impact in 2022 but he was a rook RB.
- Ja. Jones. If by some miracle he’s able to start game 1…I think he’ll have a huge impact at CB2.
- Ma. Jones. Same as Jack…if he starts at his natural position at a slot CB…he’s going to impress greatly (of course that means that Jo. Jones is somewhere else such as FS). I think the secondary is stronger in that configuration.

On the offense, If we get anything we are hoping for from the pass-catchers, it redounds to Mac Jones' benefit. If the new coaching staff makes the offense click, it redounds to Jones' benefit. If the running game is more frightening, it redounds to the passing game's benefit, and that redounds to Mac Jones' benefit.

Do I look at Mac Jones' performance last year and think there is any reason to believe in a Mac Jones breakout because his skills take a jump? Not really. Do I think there will be multiple breakouts? At this point yeah. I mean, we're undefeated :D

So as I see all these possibilities mentioned and I think/hope for lots of misunderestimated offensive possibilities to come true, I can't imagine that happening without a shower of praise every week for Mac's re-emergence (and more.)

We've seen a QB make create this team. I think this season, the team makes the QB. Put me down for multiple breakthroughs, and it'll be credited to Jones. I don't see one breakout against a backdrop of incompetence.

I hope the defense continues to keep us in games and functions as a top-10 unit. I'd love them to be great. But I'll be okay with staying good. Let's see how the kids do. But I do see Jack Jones needing a breakout year. :D See what I did there.

Same as others mentioned…I don’t feel rookies can have a breakout season since it’s their 1st season or players that were traded and it’s their 1st season as well. Who I think (instead of want) will have breakouts in no order…

- Strange. I thought he had a good 1st season and will build up on that quite a bit in his 2nd.
- Strong. I thought he would have more of an impact in 2022 but he was a rook RB.
- Ja. Jones. If by some miracle he’s able to start game 1…I think he’ll have a huge impact at CB2.
- Ma. Jones. Same as Jack…if he starts at his natural position at a slot CB…he’s going to impress greatly (of course that means that Jo. Jones is somewhere else such as FS). I think the secondary is stronger in that configuration.
On offense to me it's Mac, on defense it's peppers. I agree that rookies it's thier first season.. so they learn as they go. However Keion White and gonzo project to be difference makers. Gonzo is definitely a starter. I've felt he's the missing piece to solidify the defense. White projects to be heavily involved in the rotation and possibly could end up becoming a starter. The more pressure we can put on QBs the better!

We likely have the best safety group in the NFL. Peppers is a hest seeking missle he's the Rodney type presence we've been missing back at the safety position.. Philips ,duggs, Peppers all 3 of those guys are pro bowl level players!

As for Jack I know he'll be in TC in a few weeks as his court date is in August..

He will likely be available for the season as I'm sure his attorneys will get the case prolonged until after the season. I'm just assuming... I need to see juju on the field and the offense at full strength to be able to gadge things. But my feelings has always been Mac will have a break out year!

On offense to me it's Mac, on defense it's peppers. I agree that rookies it's thier first season.. so they learn as they go. However Keion White and gonzo project to be difference makers. Gonzo is definitely a starter. I've felt he's the missing piece to solidify the defense. White projects to be heavily involved in the rotation and possibly could end up becoming a starter. The more pressure we can put on QBs the better!

We likely have the best safety group in the NFL. Peppers is a hest seeking missle he's the Rodney type presence we've been missing back at the safety position.. Philips ,duggs, Peppers all 3 of those guys are pro bowl level players!

As for Jack I know he'll be in TC in a few weeks as his court date is in August..

He will likely be available for the season as I'm sure his attorneys will get the case prolonged until after the season. I'm just assuming... I need to see juju on the field and the offense at full strength to be able to gadge things. But my feelings has always been Mac will have a break out year!
I agree about Peppers… I thinks he’s a very good player that will contribute more but the thing is he’s 28 and IMO had his breakout year in 2020 when he had 91 tackles (with 8 TFL) and 11 PD’s (among other things). But I’m looking forward to seeing him play in 2023 :thumbsup:

I think Mac makes the leap we would've liked to see last year. Would be happy to see 30/12 TD/INT or something close to that.

Pierre Strong. Watched his college highlights recently.. no reason he can't be a game-breaking playmaker IMO. We saw flashes of it last year with limited opportunities.

Thornton. I'm not as confident in this one but hopeful. He has incredible speed, hopefully filled out his frame a bit and improved his hands and sideline awareness.

On Defense. Excited to see what Peppers can do year 2 in the system. Uche seems poised to have a big year. I'll go ahead and call Keion White my binky.. I think he's gonna be good. Overall I'm really looking forward to see what the D can do, I think they are gonna be very good.

One of the things that I like about this team is that, although it’s not loaded with proven stars, there are numerous candidates for a real breakout season, and it’s not just wishful thinking...like maybe the Footwork King might somehow finally unlock N’Keal Harry’s true potential.

Gesicki: He is an excellent fit for O’Brien’s offense.

And this one is wishful thinking, as I like the idea of how the Patriots could use him and hope that he hits the ground running:

Mapu

Cole strange for me would be the step up along with Pierre strong.

Runner up - Marcus Jones / Bourne

On Defense. Excited to see what Peppers can do year 2 in the system. Uche seems poised to have a big year. I'll go ahead and call Keion White my binky.. I think he's gonna be good. Overall I'm really looking forward to see what the D can do, I think they are gonna be very good.

The fun part of the D is that they can be really good for 3 years. They are young and we have cap space to keep guys. Maybe we can upgrade at FS, add a middle LB, and a fattie, but no pressing need. Sit back and watch the guys develop.

Cole strange for me would be the step up along with Pierre strong.

Runner up - Marcus Jones / Bourne
I'm with you on Strange - especially if there is consistently decent play on either side of him.

On D - Barmore. I won't jinx it with a reason why, though.

I think Mac makes the leap we would've liked to see last year. Would be happy to see 30/12 TD/INT or something close to that.

Pierre Strong. Watched his college highlights recently.. no reason he can't be a game-breaking playmaker IMO. We saw flashes of it last year with limited opportunities.

Thornton. I'm not as confident in this one but hopeful. He has incredible speed, hopefully filled out his frame a bit and improved his hands and sideline awareness.

Peppers seems like the unanimous break out player on defense.. he definitely has my vote! He's been a stud his whole carer.. injuries are the only thing holding him back.. I've been saying Mac Is the guy offensively I'm expecting to have a breakout season.. as bad as it was last season.. he's motivated, and determined to return to form.. he displayed his rookie season he can lead this team. But on defense.. boy.. we just have so many chess pieces we can throw at offenses..

Gonzo is the missing piece.. at almost 6"2 he can't match up with bigger WRs.. he's ultra physical and has speed for days.. the vets have praised his work ethics.. Keon white projects to be a force off the edge or wherever he lines up.. I hope Guy can report to camp unless he's mulling retirement.. feels sort of like when Rob ninkovich hung it up.

Hopkins.

Mac needs to have a breakout season for the team to be successful. If it does not happen this season he probably is not the future at QB. Barmore and the Jones boys on defense.

My money is on Mapu.

On the offense, If we get anything we are hoping for from the pass-catchers, it redounds to Mac Jones' benefit. If the new coaching staff makes the offense click, it redounds to Jones' benefit. If the running game is more frightening, it redounds to the passing game's benefit, and that redounds to Mac Jones' benefit.
Redounds? Once or twice, ok, mistype.
4x? Redoundant

Waaay out there with this one...Terez Hall. I legit liked what I saw out of him the pandemic season and he may be healthy now.

I'm with you on Strange - especially if there is consistently decent play on either side of him.

On D - Barmore. I won't jinx it with a reason why, though.
Barmore is a force... he needs to stay on the field.. the thing with him is he came into the league injured.. he is not going get healthier as his career goes on.. but we need him to be that force up the middle especially if guy retires.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back