PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do the Pats select with the 23rd overall pick?

Belichick will probably go offensive line or linebacker at 23. All this talk of trading up for quarterback seems foolish. There are a lot of solid to good OTs on the board from big programs with good OL line coaches.

If David Andrews is really finished, I see Cesar Ruiz out of Michigan at #23. If Andrews is cleared to play, I see a tackle like Austin Jackson (USC), Josh Jones (Houston) or Isaiah Wilson (Georgia) .

If Belichick doesn't like what he sees on OL, my guess is that the 3-4 OLB/Edge Yetur Gross-Matos from Penn State or OLB Zack Baun from Wisconsin will be there.

Last edited:
Need a SPEED receiver who is also a good return man. One receiver a lot of people are sleeping on is Jalen Reagor, GREAT speed, great hands, and though only 5'10" or 5'11", he's also great at contested passes. Also an excellent return man. I would have no issues if the Pats drafted him at 23.
Yeah I was seriously thinking of adding Reagor to this list too...But the top 4 is unassailable (and likely all taken by 23), so if there was just one guy outside of the top 4 worthy of our selection there, then I'm giving the nod to Aiyuk based mostly on his relationship with Harry, though Reagor is indeed very, very similar to him (though I feel that Aiyuk is an overall better receiver) ... A lot depends of course on his recovery from his core muscle surgery...

Agree with most of this. The only mistake was reaching for Aaron Dobson when Keenan Allen was still available. Most frustrating pick to watch, next to Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap.

Dobson was the #3 wr at Marshall. He never should have been taken before the 5th round as a shot in the dark hope.

Is this true? How? I call BS

My 2 cents:

1. Accept that the second run is over and build the foundation for the next one.

2. Package #23 with both picks in the 4th round (I’m assuming #125 + #139) and possibly the one in the 5th round (#172) and I think it gives them enough value to yield 2 picks in the 2nd round to go with the 3 they have in the 3rd round. Use those 5 picks to shore up the front 7 on defense, add talent at TE and WR, and better rotation pieces on the OL. I think there are several good options that will work in each of those positions (especially WR and DT) and would rather have that than someone at #23 and then no one for the next 64 picks.

3. Upgrade from Hoyer after the draft with a better “hold down the fort” backup, but go with Stidham for this coming season and move on next year if he doesn’t show enough progress after 2 years on the club.

4. Play smash mouth football like they did in 2001 - 2004 while the young QB develops.

He was #3 on the team in receiving yards in his final season in part due to missing some time with an injury, but he led the team the prior two seasons. And the “#1” in 2012 was 5’7”, 189 pounds, and ran a 4.73 40.

It's a matter of "When", not "If", the Pats take a QB in this year's draft. Question is what would it take to get Jordan love or Eason? And would you as a fan, be okay giving up 1st rounders this year and next to possibly get Tua?

This is stressing me out.

Patriots' 2020 NFL draft plans at QB more about 'when' than 'if'

I sure hope that we don’t take a qb early this year and I would hate to give up a pick next year for any of the qbs this year. I’m hoping we use this draft to fill as many of the holes that we possibly can. If stidham doesn’t show signs of being our franchise qb then we should be in decent position to possibly take one of the very talented guys next year.

Count me in on the Cesar Ruiz camp. Could he be had in the 2nd? Maybe, but it takes 2 to trade down. And frankly with half the NFL coaching staffs being Bill disciples that's getting harder to pull off.

I know everyone wants a WR, but this is the 2nd year in a row with a deep class. Trend maybe? Besides we just drafted Harry.

TE is not there this year. Which is why I was pushing for Hooper.

QB let's give Stidham a chance.

LB/DE is a huge hole to fill. 3rd round is the sweet spot for just that. Malik, Jennings and Highsmith are my targets.

In college his best season was 48 catches for 688 yards and 12 tds. He never produced even decent college numbers.

He was a gross over reach in the 2nd round. He should have been a UDFA/Possible late round due to his measurables.

Amateur opinion:

Weak positions (no particular order): QB, RT, TE, DE, LB, K

Luxury picks: C, WR, DT, S

Not needed: RB, FB, LT, OG, CB

My targets:
  • LB Kenneth Murray
  • LB Patrick Queen
  • LB/DE Zach Baun
  • DE K'Lavon Chaisson
  • DE AJ Epenesa
  • C Cesar Ruiz
  • S Xavier McKinney
  • OT Isaiah Wilson
We can dream:
  • QB Tua Tagovailoa
  • One of the top four OTs that drop to us
  • WR Henry Ruggs
  • DT Derrick Brown
  • DT Javon Kinlaw
Do not want:
  • QB Jordan Love
  • QB Justin Herbert
  • TE Cole Kmet (too high)
  • Any RB
  • S Grant Delpit

If Thuney is going, I think that we need RUIZ. If not, we would find our upgrade at backup center in the 4th. Ruiz would be a 5 year starter, and a possible pro-bowler.

The best available defensive front seven player is most likely if we stay at 23.

It is always unpopular, but Belichick could certainly draft one of the 2 top safeties. Chung is on his last legs, and it isn't clear how many years McCourty has left.

Last edited:
Amateur opinion:

Weak positions (no particular order): QB, RT, TE, DE, LB, K

Luxury picks: C, WR, DT, S

Not needed: RB, FB, LT, OG, CB

My targets:
  • LB Kenneth Murray
  • LB Patrick Queen
  • LB/DE Zach Baun
  • DE K'Lavon Chaisson
  • DE AJ Epenesa
  • C Cesar Ruiz
  • S Xavier McKinney
  • OT Isaiah Wilson
We can dream:
  • QB Tua Tagovailoa
  • One of the top four OTs that drop to us
  • WR Henry Ruggs
  • DT Derrick Brown
  • DT Javon Kinlaw
Do not want:
  • QB Jordan Love
  • QB Justin Herbert
  • TE Cole Kmet (too high)
  • Any RB
  • S Grant Delpit

I agree with all of that, except I'm not as high on Tua as other folk seem to be. I'd add Jalen Hurts to the "do not want" pile and add Antoine Winfield Jr to the target pile.

I sure hope that we don’t take a qb early this year and I would hate to give up a pick next year for any of the qbs this year. I’m hoping we use this draft to fill as many of the holes that we possibly can. If stidham doesn’t show signs of being our franchise qb then we should be in decent position to possibly take one of the very talented guys next year.

The Pats aren't going to be bad enough to get Lawrence. What other options would be out there? Assuming Stidhsm isn't the guy.

if dolphins trade for Thuney + #23 for #26, #39 and #77, this draft could be epic.

#26: Ross Blacklock. reminds me of Mean Joe Green.

#39: Last of the higher ranked tackles available down to Ezra Cleveland/Josh Jones/Austin Jackson.
If none available, then either

RB: Helaire, dynamic K. Faulk type. Have to face reality that Michel has no elite traits.

or

WR: prefer Denzel Mims over the bigger body receivers like Pittman or Higgins. a different type than Harry.

or

S: Antoine Winfield jr. playmaker.

#77: TE: Albert O. Freak.

#88: CB/S: Bryce Hall. McCourty type player.

#98: LB Malik Harrison. Physical.

#100: QB Anthony Gordon, good decision maker. If Eason is still there (unlikely) take flier on him. He seems better than Mallett.

Use the rest of picks to move up or down to target these players.

I really do not think Murray could cover a fire hydrant.
Film shows him to be very slow to change direction or sink his hips.
Buyer beware with him in coverage.

I agree
And he’s not physical.

I agree
And he’s not physical.

So between you and Ochmed, we have it that Murray cannot change direction, cannot cover, and is soft. Thats interesting for a guy that every single analyst has as a 1st round prospect.

I dont think Murray is a top 10 talent or anything but man, you guys go overboard. Murray may not be the stoutest at the point or the strongest, but he absolutely is physical. He is not afraid of contact, is not afraid to stick his nose in, and can flies around the field looking to knock someone out. Those aren't traits of someone who isn't physical.

I would think and expect us to trade back and get a few extra picks. There's too many picks between our 1st and 2nd pick.

So between you and Ochmed, we have it that Murray cannot change direction, cannot cover, and is soft. Thats interesting for a guy that every single analyst has as a 1st round prospect.

I dont think Murray is a top 10 talent or anything but man, you guys go overboard. Murray may not be the stoutest at the point or the strongest, but he absolutely is physical. He is not afraid of contact, is not afraid to stick his nose in, and can flies around the field looking to knock someone out. Those aren't traits of someone who isn't physical.
I don't even bother anymore. OJ told us there were only like 4 WRs in last year's draft that could run option routes haha. Can't take them seriously.

"Ross Blacklock. reminds me of Mean Joe Green".

I dont think Murray is a top 10 talent or anything but man, you guys go overboard. Murray may not be the stoutest at the point or the strongest, but he absolutely is physical. He is not afraid of contact, is not afraid to stick his nose in, and can flies around the field looking to knock someone out. Those aren't traits of someone who isn't physical.[/]

I rewatched the big 12 championship
He played great and there’s a lot to like with Murray. I’m sure we can use him in our defense.

I rewatched the big 12 championship
He played great and there’s a lot to like with Murray. I’m sure we can use him in our defense.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back