PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do the Pats select with the 23rd overall pick?

I can not figure out why we would stay at 23. There is little chance any of the 15 or 16 guys with first round grades fall to us.

lately, I have been trying to figure out the most realistic trade down scenario for us.

if we get a second and a third for 23, then I could see bb flipping one of our existing third rounders into a 2021 pick. Or maybe packaging a couple of thirds to move up a bit.
What I would do is make a couple of small trade-downs, 4 spots each max, to acquire late 3rd/early 4th-rounders, then with the extra ammunition trade into the late 2nd/early 3rd round, so that we could still have a pick in the late first round and at least 3 more picks - if not 4 more - on Day 2...

Last edited:
Trade down unless a fantastic prospect falls for us at 23 (ex. Jeudy, a top OL).
Too many holes to fill in this draft.. that 2nd rounder will be missed

Ty Law was a 23rd pick in the first round as was Antowain Smith.

1) So, you don't want any of the 15 or 16 with 1st round grades if they fall for us (other than your 4 blue chippers)? I suspect that they won't, but just asking. The one wildcard that I see Bill considering is Love.

2) Almost all the red chippers should be gone by the end of the 2nd. I understand there may a couple left who are on Bill's list. This argues for trading down for two 2nds, or other compensation and trade back up into the second. We would then have 2 red chippers.

3) yes, we could get 3 solid players in the 3rd and 4th, "white chippers" you have called them.

4) I would expect Bill to draft a kicker in the 5th and then turn over the draft to someone else.

OF COURSE, Bill's list is likely to be much shorter than yours. I doubt very much that he has 124 players that he would consider drafting in the first four rounds.

I guess anything is possible, but just in case no one falls to us, we should have a plan or two to trade back.

I'm relatively sure that the Patriots disagree with me, but I'm starting to think that a guy like Denzel Mims should receive some serious consideration at #23.

My first choice would be to trade down to the top of the 2nd round. There are 5 or so players I would be happy to take between 35 and 45.

At 23, unless a top WR or Tua falls, the only players I really like for us at 23 are Kenneth Murray or Josh Jones. I'd be happy with either. If we take Jones, I would want to trade Thuney though.

I remain hopeful that we trade out of the first round.

but if we stay, I think the best value is at offensive tackle. Either jones of Houston or Wilson of Georgia.

but if we stay, I think the best value is at offensive tackle. Either jones of Houston or Wilson of Georgia.

I'd definitely disagree that Jones or Wilson provide best value.

I woukdnt classify either as possible BPA's at 23, and a tackle in the 1st to me is not maximizing the value of the pick. We have 2 starting tackles. We have 2 starting guards. I understand the point can be made about trading Thuney and kicking Wynn inside. That would necessitate a trade of Thuney, and that maybe only net a 3rd. If thats the case, why not just draft a guard in the 2nd(trade down) or 3rd, and use the 1st rounder(or obtain extra picks) to address an immediate need with a better player on the board?

If one of the top 4 tackles falls, you can make the argument its just too good of value to pass on. I dont think that argument applies to Jones or Wilson.

Regardless of our likes and dislikes and the terrible circumstances around coronavirus I am starting to get more upbeat about the draft growing closer. It maybe an anti climax but at least it is something to look forward to even though our favourites dont make it onto the roster

Ruiz provide value if we trading Thuney (we need the $15M of cap space) or if there are questions about Andrews. personally, I think that we need more at center than Andrews.

Certainly, some think that he is ready to start at LG in addition to being the best center in the draft.

Eagles Rumors: Center Cesar Ruiz Drawing Interest Ahead of 2020 NFL Draft

...At 23, unless a top WR or Tua falls, the only players I really like for us at 23 are Kenneth Murray or Josh Jones. I'd be happy with either. If we take Jones, I would want to trade Thuney though.
...or better still try to trade Mason...

With a week to go, if we pick at 23 I want either Chaisson, Epenesa, Murray, or Queen in that order

In a trade down, I'd realistically want Lewis or Baun

The closer we get to the draft, the more I think that bb will trade thuney if we can not work out a long term deal.

my guess is he already has a dance partner (in the nfc) all lines up.

Have I missed any announcement as to how the actual draft will operate. I did see an article that there was going to be a dry run on what should happen but do we know how it will be broadcasted if it is all happening by video conference??

Have I missed any announcement as to how the actual draft will operate. I did see an article that there was going to be a dry run on what should happen but do we know how it will be broadcasted if it is all happening by video conference??
The question is: will it be broadcasted at all?

Realistically, one of Zack Baun, Patrick Queen, Kenneth Murray. But it's far more likely that we trade out

I'm relatively sure that the Patriots disagree with me, but I'm starting to think that a guy like Denzel Mims should receive some serious consideration at #23.
LOVE Denzel Mims. Reminds me of a Josh Gordon/Lynn Swann mix. Has the big, strong physical play like Gordon, but the body control of Lynn Swann, add in 4.4 speed. I’d be beyond thrilled if they drafted Mims. Mims and Harry as your outside receivers, with Edelman and Meyers on the inside. My ideal draft is 1) Mims and then 3rd round picks of TE, WR, TE.

LOVE Denzel Mims. Reminds me of a Josh Gordon/Lynn Swann mix. Has the big, strong physical play like Gordon, but the body control of Lynn Swann, add in 4.4 speed. I’d be beyond thrilled if they drafted Mims. Mims and Harry as your outside receivers, with Edelman and Meyers on the inside. My ideal draft is 1) Mims and then 3rd round picks of TE, WR, TE.

assuming Judy, Ruggs and lamb are off the board, I really like Mims as a guy that can add a lot to our offense once he learns a proper route tree.

Realistically, one of Zack Baun, Patrick Queen, Kenneth Murray. But it's far more likely that we trade out

If that is the group, I's add Chaisson.

With a week to go, if we pick at 23 I want either Chaisson, Epenesa, Murray, or Queen in that order

In a trade down, I'd realistically want Lewis or Baun
Once again, I keep saying, why the **** trade down if you can get Chaisson, Epenesa, Murray or Queen. Stay at 23, trading down has NEVER worked for us. Do you prefer Lewis or Baun to the 4 mentioned above ? I don’t. We have THREE friggen 3rd round picks, if you want to trade up to the 2nd round, it’s very easy to. Only a fool would trade down. #23 is a GREAT spot to be in, especially to TRADE UP if we wanted to. For Christ’s sake, don’t trade down, dumb move. A guy like Ruggs may be there at 23.

This is the most important draft in many years. They have to do for the offense what they did for the defense in 2012. Drafted 2 defensive playmakers in Jones & Hightower, 2 years later they won the SB. If you want to fix the anemic offense, stay put at 23, chose your favorite explosive WR available. Then go TE/WR/TE in the third round. Then you can go defense rounds 4-7.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back