PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do the Pats select with the 23rd overall pick?

Once again, I keep saying, why the **** trade down if you can get Chaisson, Epenesa, Murray or Queen. Stay at 23, trading down has NEVER worked for us. Do you prefer Lewis or Baun to the 4 mentioned above ? I don’t. We have THREE friggen 3rd round picks, if you want to trade up to the 2nd round, it’s very easy to. Only a fool would trade down. #23 is a GREAT spot to be in, especially to TRADE UP if we wanted to. For Christ’s sake, don’t trade down, dumb move. A guy like Ruggs may be there at 23.

This is the most important draft in many years. They have to do for the offense what they did for the defense in 2012. Drafted 2 defensive playmakers in Jones & Hightower, 2 years later they won the SB. If you want to fix the anemic offense, stay put at 23, chose your favorite explosive WR available. Then go TE/WR/TE in the third round. Then you can go defense rounds 4-7.

Drafting 2 wideouts and 2 tight ends with the 1st 4 picks isn't going to do much to help the team this year. It would be extremely likely that we get nothing out of our first 4 picks next year.

When we have other needs, you can't just flat out ignore the defensive side of the ball until late round picks. Our entire front 7 basically are free agents after next year, and we already have needs there now. Adding top tier talent to the defense is as important as anything else.

Also, having 3 3rd round picks absolutely means we could move up into the 2nd round if we want. But, it also means bringing in less top end talent, in terms of quantity. We have 4 day 1 and 2 picks. If we stay at 23, and use 2 of the 3's to move into the 2nd, were only bringing in 3 guys in the first 3 days. While I am OK with that if it breaks down right and its the right players, we have quite a few holes. If you trade down from 23 into the early 2nd, you're only doing it because you have similarly rated talent available and picking up an extra 3rd. If you can get Reagor, Mims, Baun, or Epenesa at 35, it makes a TON of sense to move down. Now you move two 3rds to get into the 2nd, and you still have added 4 top talents to the team.

I dont have a hard plan for the draft as it relates to 23. Sure, if someone falls, grab them. Whether that's Chaisson or Ruggs, or whoever. But if all the expected guys are gone come 23, you absolutely can make the argument that you're getting a similar talent at 30-35 and picking up an extra pick for ammo to move around at a different point. I dont know why that's a bad thing. If you're OK with Epenesa at 23, why would you be against drsfting him 5, 8 , 10 picks later and picking up an extra pick?

Once again, I keep saying, why the **** trade down if you can get Chaisson, Epenesa, Murray or Queen. Stay at 23, trading down has NEVER worked for us. Do you prefer Lewis or Baun to the 4 mentioned above ? I don’t. We have THREE friggen 3rd round picks, if you want to trade up to the 2nd round, it’s very easy to. Only a fool would trade down. #23 is a GREAT spot to be in, especially to TRADE UP if we wanted to. For Christ’s sake, don’t trade down, dumb move. A guy like Ruggs may be there at 23.

This is the most important draft in many years. They have to do for the offense what they did for the defense in 2012. Drafted 2 defensive playmakers in Jones & Hightower, 2 years later they won the SB. If you want to fix the anemic offense, stay put at 23, chose your favorite explosive WR available. Then go TE/WR/TE in the third round. Then you can go defense rounds 4-7.
I smell what you're cooking, and in a normal year (TFB at QB for the NEP, still having a 2nd-round pick) I would do the same thing...But...Unless somebody like Ruggs is indeed available at 23, then I too would seriously consider offers for a trade-down if we can re-acquire a late 2nd/early 3rd-rounder...We need Players; and lots of them too...

2013 worked out pretty well

2013 worked out pretty well
So they passed up on Cordarrelle Patterson (all decade team as a returner) and Zach Ertz (all decade team) and Leveon Bell (all decade team) to select Jamie Collins, who made 1 Pro Bowl I believe. Aaron Dobson instead Keenan Allen,Travis Kelsey and Tyran Mathieu. Granted, Collins, Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon played key parts in 2 Championship runs. But you can’t say trading down was the reason they won them. It could’ve been a different situation with the players mentioned above besides those 3.

Bottom line, they would always be competitive with Belichick/Brady at the helm back in those days, who knows how many championships they would’ve had if they went a different direction, with better players, possibly more.

Need a coverage linebacker in the worst way. Best guess is Kenneth Murray is available at 23 with Chiasson, Queen, and maybe even my guy Epenesa all taken.

As much as I prefer trading down, I would stay put and draft the Sooner.

Need a coverage linebacker in the worst way. Best guess is Kenneth Murray is available at 23 with Chiasson, Queen, and maybe even my guy Epenesa all taken.

As much as I prefer trading down, I would stay put and draft the Sooner.

I really do not think Murray could cover a fire hydrant.
Film shows him to be very slow to change direction or sink his hips.
Buyer beware with him in coverage.

Murray is not slow to change direction. There is nothing physically that would hinder his ability to cover. You can knock the experience and maybe the awareness, but nothing physical. And considering he wasn't asked to cover a lot, it doesn't mean he can't do it. He needs work but there's no reason he shouldn't be a quick learner.

Murray is one of the guys I'd be totally fine with at 23.

I think you are correct that Thomas will be long gone by pick 23. But as you look at his tape, you see a guy that may be maxed out with little to no upside. Teams might be cautious of thomas, as guys like jones of Houston, while not the player Thomas is today, could be a better player in 3 years.

Mims has really good tape and if this draft was not insanely deep at the receiver position, would be ranked much higher. But it is hard to see bb taking a wide receiver in round 1 two years in a row. Not when both lines need fatties!

Trautman - everyone needs to realize that he played against weak competition.
In his league the players were not as big, not nearly as fast, nor nearly as physical and not nearly as well coached as players in division 1 or the nfl will be.
A good two days of practice at the senior bowl does not equal 16 weeks of an nfl schedule,
I would love for us to draft and slowly develop the kid, but draft him in the third round.

Jerry Rice and Sweetness say Hi.

If Murray or kinlaw are there at 23 the I would pick them , if a top OT is there at 23 then I would pick him , IF not , then I am now thinking trade down for 2 second rounds if possible ?.....I still think we need to draft more on the offensive side of the ball this draft....a TE(s) and a WR with pace minimum

Cesar Ruiz or trade down

With the disclaimer that I've watched nothing and researched not so much, I'd say trade back for picks or BVA that isn't a CB or RB.

This is not a team that is likely to compete this year, so lets carry on the rebuild.

So they passed up on Cordarrelle Patterson (all decade team as a returner) and Zach Ertz (all decade team) and Leveon Bell (all decade team) to select Jamie Collins, who made 1 Pro Bowl I believe. Aaron Dobson instead Keenan Allen,Travis Kelsey and Tyran Mathieu. Granted, Collins, Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon played key parts in 2 Championship runs. But you can’t say trading down was the reason they won them. It could’ve been a different situation with the players mentioned above besides those 3.

Bottom line, they would always be competitive with Belichick/Brady at the helm back in those days, who knows how many championships they would’ve had if they went a different direction, with better players, possibly more.
So neither Ertz nor Bell were all decade

No team is going to have a perfect draft but I would argue that NE's 2013 draft set them up very well and led to two titles as you acknowledged

On Draft Day we still had Hernandez and 87 and Mathieu was untouchable by many

We could always find that we wish we would have rather took, as can any team, but NE's 2013 Draft class was pretty damn good

Cesar Ruiz or trade down

Cesar Ruiz would be a very Belichick-type pick. He's considered one of the most safe players in the NFL draft.

No team is going to have a perfect draft but I would argue that NE's 2013 draft set them up very well and led to two titles as you acknowledged

We could always find that we wish we would have rather took, as can any team, but NE's 2013 Draft class was pretty damn good
2010 & 2012 had more to do with them winning championships than 2013.

Why is the big board thread closed

Agree with most of this. The only mistake was reaching for Aaron Dobson when Keenan Allen was still available. Most frustrating pick to watch, next to Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap.

Dobson was the #3 wr at Marshall. He never should have been taken before the 5th round as a shot in the dark hope.

Maybe this is the result of ChiCom Cabin Fever, but I'm actually coming around to the idea of drafting at #23 a WR from a group of Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, JJefferson...and...Kneal, Harry's ASU teammate Brandon Aiyuk! We need to draft at least one WR anyway, especially one of his skill-set, so maybe bringing Aiyuk to Foxborough to help salvage Harry's career wouldn't be so crazy after all...

Maybe this is the result of ChiCom Cabin Fever, but I'm actually coming around to the idea of drafting at #23 a WR from a group of Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, JJefferson...and...Kneal, Harry's ASU teammate Brandon Aiyuk! We need to draft at least one WR anyway, especially one of his skill-set, so maybe bringing Aiyuk to Foxborough to help salvage Harry's career wouldn't be so crazy after all...
Need a SPEED receiver who is also a good return man. One receiver a lot of people are sleeping on is Jalen Reagor, GREAT speed, great hands, and though only 5'10" or 5'11", he's also great at contested passes. Also an excellent return man. I would have no issues if the Pats drafted him at 23.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back