PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who can we stash away after cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
There are going to be some damned good players who won't make the 53. Who do you think we can stash away? And who will likely be snapped up? I know some of these players might make the team, but it will be tough.

-Adam Butler
-Kenny Moore
-Harvey Langi
-Foster
-Devin Lucien
-Austin Carr

Sometimes we're right to be paranoid about other teams "poaching" our last cuts (like a year ago), but other times they go completely unclaimed. Can never really predict it. I do presently only see Langi making the 53 of all those guys, with the rest on the PS. Hopefully they make it there.

This all seems premature until we've seen a couple preseason games. While Langi seems like the leader, injuries and team needs will likely override our initial impressions of the early days of training camp.

I like Langi and Butler, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Thompson ends up sticking due to special teams prowess. You just never know.

The Patriots are not going to be able to stash away any of those players.

The reason?

Because they would all be starters for the Jets.
But they would improve the Jets and that conflicts with their current business plan.

There are going to be some damned good players who won't make the 53. Who do you think we can stash away? And who will likely be snapped up? I know some of these players might make the team, but it will be tough.

-Adam Butler
-Kenny Moore
-Harvey Langi
-Foster
-Devin Lucien
-Austin Carr
Langi will be on the Pats 53. The rest will not get through waivers. My hope is we can get players like Hollister and Ferentz/croston on the PS.

-Adam Butler
-Kenny Moore
-Harvey Langi
-Foster
-Devin Lucien
-Austin Carr

Last season, the Pats carried 3 DTs most of the time. If Valentine's back injury is significant, Butler seems to be the next man up, at this point.

As things stand right now, it seems to me that there's at least some possibility that one of the two IR/return spots is used on Mitchell, and that Lucien gets the temporary reprieve over Carr.

Langi probably needs to show some serious ST chops starting Thursday night, or he gets Foxboro Flu redshirt year. Moore, too. Although Moore could stick if BB manages to swindle some team out of a 7th for Coleman in the next couple weeks.

Foster probably needs to show some Edelman-esque punt return ability, as well as solid running and receiving chops. Fortunately, playing the Jags, all the PR candidates will have plenty of opportunities Thursday night (assuming the DB's drop some INTs). Hypothetically, Foster could take Bolden's roster spot and O'Shaughnessy could take Bolden's ST coverage snaps.

This all seems premature until we've seen a couple preseason games. While Langi seems like the leader, injuries and team needs will likely override our initial impressions of the early days of training camp.

I like Langi and Butler, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Thompson ends up sticking due to special teams prowess. You just never know.

I'll have a legal pad and a couple-three sharp #2 pencils at the ready for every ST play Thursday night to jot down the jersey numbers of the participants and standouts.

I'm assuming that the Pats will be kicking-off frequently and that the Jags will be punting frequently, so I'll have a lot of info to record.

Of course, the Pats DBs could seriously reduce the Jags' potential punt count.

And, of course, I'm also assuming that the broadcast crew actually shows the field during ST play so that I can see the jersey numbers.

Didn't the NFL change the roster cutdown rules so that we go all the way from 90 to 53 at the end, rather than in stages? That might help slide a few people through, with over 1,000 players released pretty much at once rather than over multiple rounds of cuts. I would hate to lose Lucien, Carr, Foster, Moore, Butler, Hollister the TE, maybe others. I think Langi makes it onto the 53.

If somebody is only the 54th best player on a roster, is it truly a concern that he may sign elsewhere?

Eight months from now the Patriots will have 20 new rookies on their team competing for a job.

If we cut Lucien another team will grab him, undoubtedly

He needs to make the 53
Why do you say that? He had 2 drops and a false start, yesterday.

As another poster mentioned, Lucien has a much harder time making the team this year.

At this point Langi is a lock to make the team. He's getting significant first-team time.

As things stand right now, it seems to me that there's at least some possibility that one of the two IR/return spots is used on Mitchell, and that Lucien gets the temporary reprieve over Carr.

Well, scratch that idea.

I just saw that Mitchell was a full participant in today's practice.

From what I've been reading Langi and Butler have been quite impressive. Don't think there's any way Langi doesn't make the team. Would also like to see Butler make it but d line is pretty crowded.

I don't see us carrying 6 wide outs so it's going to be tough for Lucien and Carr unless there is an injury.

One of the nice problems to have went you have such a deep team.

Lucien makes the 53, forcing BB to a hard choice. Danny A traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News