PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Austin Carr - questions for the knowledgeable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a guy who knows the draft very well. I know some of the top players but that's about it. So of course, last night I did some amateur Googling on Austin Carr. Some of the articles indicated strong potential as a slot receiver; of course, his overall ranking among WRs (undrafted) - when teams are now "in on the secret" of an Edelman-type player's value - takes some optimism away.

Here is what I found:

Austin Carr is 6'1", 195. Seems roughly the same mold as Edelman or Amendola. A little taller, not quite as bulky. Pretty similar height/weight to a lot of quicker NFL receivers. Unlike Edelman, though, he doesn't appear to be a project, like converting to a new position. The guy was very, very productive in college at WR and led the Big 10 in a bunch of categories.

This was the best article I found, since it was published before be was drafted (hence low degree of homerism.)

Can Northwestern WR Austin Carr be the Patriots next late round slot machine?

Carr thrives at catching passes in traffic, running quick in and out routes, and produces at all levels of the field- not just underneath- but is somehow projected to be undrafted by NFLDraftScout. Prior to his 2016 season, Carr was a secondary option in the offense and played on special teams. He told Edholm that “he likes watching the New England Patriots and how they use their smaller, quicker, savvier receivers to create mismatches underneath.”

“That’s me,” Carr added. “That’s my game.”

Carr ran an unofficial 4.54s 40 yard dash, while Edholm reports that Carr posted an incredible 4.04s shuttle time and a filthy 6.72s three cone, highlighting his quick change of direction ability. That shuttle would have ranked 5th for wide receivers at the NFL Combine and the three cone would have ranked 4th- and no receiver ranked ahead of Carr in both drills.

I also read he had a lot of offers but chose the Patriots because of how they could utilize him...which was ballsy considering thr depth chart.

So here are my questions:

1. Knowing this guy has incredible shiftiness (his cone drills) and has proven he can play the position well, why was he still undrafted and not even invited to the combine? It seems like any team should jump at a chance to land the next Julian Edelman type player.

2. What are the big question marks? In his college highlights, I saw a great route runner with excellent hands and body control but didn't see a lot of elisiveness after the catch, but I also didn't see many plays that put him in that position. Is it a concern he isn't elusive enough? Physical enough? Can get jammed easily? Obviously with any player, adapting to a complex playbook and speed is a factor, but what specifically stands out as his biggest obstacles?

3. Does Lucien have a similar game as a shifty YAC guy? And if so, who appears to be better?

4. Why did Jeremy Ebert bust when he had some of these same talents? Clearly the Patriots system does guarantee success.

Last edited:
1) I hate giving you this answer but here it goes. No one, I repeat no one knows why/ how some guys slip through the cracks. Teams have their own unique board with anywhere from 50-200 players theyve identified as X-type players. Or Patriot-type Players as I like to call em. I suppose some guys get cancelled out like that.

Some teams are set at wr. Some have a type. Everyone has a certain type whether it's your girlfriend or a player you're drafting.

Also his college production wasn't great if I remember correctly? I think before last year he had a total of 500 yards/3 TD in his in 2 years. My

2)One question I had with Carr was press man. Something you alluded to. It's a different animal in the NFL. If you cant win at the LOS it's incredibly difficult to succeed at that position. With guys like Carr, smaller, quicker than fast guys. It's a see it to believe type thing.

Also I'm not sure he has that quick twitch acceleration to truly excel w/ yac.

He's a tough guy though that has no problem laying out for a contested catch and as we saw he can rise for one to.

3) One thing I liked about Luc was his potential at the next level regarding yac. Obviously his hands were prob his biggest asset but I thought he'd be a better pro than in college regarding that aspect of his game.

4) I'm fuxkin out at Ebert.

1) I hate giving you this answer but here it goes. No one, I repeat no one knows why/ how some guys slip through the cracks. Teams have their own unique board with anywhere from 50-200 players theyve identified as X-type players. Or Patriot-type Players as I like to call em. I suppose some guys get cancelled out like that.

Some teams are set at wr. Some have a type. Everyone has a certain type whether it's your girlfriend or a player you're drafting.

Also his college production wasn't great if I remember correctly? I think before last year he had a total of 500 yards/3 TD in his in 2 years. My

2)One question I had with Carr was press man. Something you alluded to. It's a different animal in the NFL. If you cant win at the LOS it's incredibly difficult to succeed at that position. With guys like Carr, smaller, quicker than fast guys. It's a see it to believe type thing.

He's a tough guy though that has no problem laying out for a contested catch and as we saw he can rise for one to.

3) One thing I liked about Luc was his potential at the next level regarding yac. Obviously his hands were prob his biggest asset but I thought he'd be a better pro than in college regarding that aspect of his game.

I remembered Landry having awful combine numbers. He wasn't exactly a burner and he has turned into one of the best slot wrs.

Your username is not kosher but it is awesome.

Unlike Edelman, though, he doesn't appear to be a project, like converting to a new position. The guy was very, very productive in college at WR and led the Big 10 in a bunch of categories.

Edelman set his rookie camp on fire, returned a punt for a TD in his first preseason game, and including playoffs caught 43 passes despite missing half the year with a broken arm. I think we overstate how much of a project he was because he was a position switcher, despite how he began producing immediately upon squirreling his way onto the field.

It almost doesn't matter that Edelman was a running QB in college because most college WRs are projects as WRs in the NFL.

Now if you go back and watch the college film on Edelman, Ebert, and Carr, who is more electric with the ball in their hands? I recall film of Edelman running QB draws for 60 yards weaving through the entire defense. Ebert and Carr glide and coast through their routes, never getting much separation, requiring their QB to throw them open and usually resulting in a contested catch. Worse yet, they can't evade contact and go down at the first touch. They are "take what the defense gives them" receivers. In the NFL the defenses don't give you much of anything unless you can blow the top off on a hitch and go. At least Carr seems to be able to go up and get it.

Boiling it down: Austin Carr will be heir apparent to the Wes Welker / Danny Amendola / Julian Edelman triumvirate of yesterday and today when he demonstrates the ability to return punts.

Carr doesn't have the run-after-catch open field elusiveness of Jules, though a lot of that is footwork-derived and so he may improve. I like how Carr came through BIG against the toughest opponents like OSU, who had a lot of DB talent. He was my binky long before the draft and I think he will have a solid NFL career, here (hopefully) or somewhere else.

Last edited:
While there is no way of knowing, imagine if he had been invited to the combine. My guess is he's drafted by someone (not NE) in the sixth or seventh round.

My impression is that Carr hasn't performed to his pre-draft testing numbers because he hasn't (yet) learned the techniques (and grasp of the Pats' offensive system) required to fully exploit his athleticism at the NFL level. It may be that he came in with some inappropriate technique/bad habits that are still in the process of being exorcised.

While I can't say that he'll ever achieve Edelman's level (acknowledging that I initially said something similar about Edelman vis-a-vis Welker), Carr seems to have solid potential. To me. I have no idea how the coaches feel.

One of his best aspects at the moment is that he seems to be a very willing and fairly capable downfield blocker. If he can contribute on the two ST blocking units, I'd keep him for Edelman's roster spot (though not Edelman's role - yet) as a reserve (mostly inactive) WR.

Having said all that, I think that Foster is currently much further along in his route-running/pass-catching development within the Pats' offense, is more versatile, and is more likely to contribute in 2017, although he may not have as much long-term upside as Carr.

It would be ideal if the Pats can figure out a way to keep them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back