PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Austin Ekeler anyone.....as our potential new slot receiver?

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Cousins,
JUST THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX. How many remember Danny Woodhead? Pretty good player for us? Now......We have been looking for a WR who can be a playmaker. We are also rumored to be looking for another RB in the Draft (strange). What if a trade with the Chargers can bring us both? A 27 year old WR who is a superb RB too and fits our style of play.

Problem:
Austin Ekeler wants $12mm for a running back position and that position decreases in monetary value every day. The Chargers with not pay him more than $6.25. Nobody is going to pay him $12mm as a RB. But would we pay $10mm+ for a WR with a production of catches at 107 plus 5 TD's and 722 yards.? Our best WR Meyers had 67 Receptions for 840 yards and 6 TD'S and just got a $11mm contract.
Oh by the way........ Ekeler had 915 yards rushing and 13 rushing TDs.

James White was a pretty good RECEIVER here. 2018 was his best year with 87 receptions and 425 yards on the ground.
Imagine Ekeler and Stevenson sharing carries and Ekeler splitting out in the slot on 3rd down or whenever BOB imports him there? Steveson caught quite a few too (69). Are you going to have LB trying to cover both RBs slipping out? Our QB is not a bomb thrower.He is a medium distance on time rhythm passer...... more effective with play action. See what I am trying to do here? BOB can line up a split backfield. A Defense will have to game plan for this unlike this year.

Ekeler is done with the Chargers and will play out his last year.

Solution:
Pierre Strong Jr and perhaps our third Rounder ( we would give up a third for Hopkins...right?) for Ekeler who happens to be noted as one of the strongest backs in the NFL at 5'8"
We can play Ekeler the way the Niners and the Panthers used McCaffrey (2018 and 2019 over 100 receptions). Snaps at WR and RB.

OK, ridicule me gently.
DW Toys

Stats
ATTYDSAVGTDLNGRECYDSAVGTDLNGFUMLST

Last edited:
107 catches an average of 1.1 yards behind the line of scrimmage tell us nothing about his ability to play in the slot, where the average catch is about 8 yards down the field.

Cousins,
JUST THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX. How many remember Danny Woodhead? Pretty good player for us? Now......We have been looking for a WR who can be a playmaker. We are also rumored to be looking for another RB in the Draft (strange). What if a trade with the Chargers can bring us both? A 27 year old WR who is a superb RB too and fits our style of play.

Problem:
Austin Ekeler wants $12mm for a running back position and that position decreases in monetary value every day. The Chargers with not pay him more than $6.25. Nobody is going to pay him $12mm as a RB. But would we pay $10mm+ for a WR with a production of catches at 107 plus 5 TD's and 722 yards.? Our best WR Meyers had 67 Receptions for 840 yards and 6 TD'S and just got a $11mm contract.

James White was a pretty good RECEIVER here. 2018 was his best year with 87 receptions and 425 yards on the ground.
Imagine Ekeler and Stevenson sharing carries and Ekeler splitting out in the slot on 3rd down or whenever BOB imports him there? Steveson caught quite a few too (69). Are you going to have LB trying to cover both RBs slipping out? Our QB is not a bomb thrower.He is a medium distance on time rhythm passer...... more effective with play action. See what I am trying to do here? BOB can line up a split backfield. A Defense will have to game plan for this unlike this year.

Solution:
Pierre Strong Jr and perhaps our third Rounder ( we would give up a third for Hopkins...right?) for Ekeler who happens to be noted as one of the strongest backs in the NFL at 5'8"
We can play Ekeler the way the Niners and the Panthers used McCaffrey (2018 and 2019 over 100 receptions). Snaps at WR and RB.

OK, ridicule me gently.
DW Toys

Stats

I've mentioned getting Ekeler on a couple of occasions after his trade request came out.

IMHO, Ekeler would be a MASSIVE get. People didn't realize just how big the loss of James White was last year. As a passing threat White was always what the QB needed, either as a safety valve, or a route runner. Well Ekelar is the same kind of passing threat as White, while being a HUGE upgrade as a runner. Ekelar can a #1 RB on a lot of teams. Here he could be a true 3rd down back who, unlike White, really IS a run threat AND adds a legitimate 2nd RB reps that would save BOTH Rham and him from being overused. PLUS as Toys has proposed, he'd be a decent receiving threat as a pure pass receiver. Those are a NUMBER of holes that he would fill with just ONE contract.

But there's the rub. His contract demands AND the trade cost. Here's what I would be willing to do. It would be a 3 year $30MM deal with a $11MM signing bonus. and $1MM salary. He gets his 2023 twelve million demand and the Pats get 3 years of his rare talent ant position flexibility in his prime.

I think they can get his first year cap number to be about $5MM and the difference will be easily taken care of by the huge cap space we will be having in the next 2 years. As for the asset that would be needed to trade to the Chargers, I'd be willing to give up the last 4th rounder we have.

I've mentioned getting Ekeler on a couple of occasions after his trade request came out.

IMHO, Ekeler would be a MASSIVE get. People didn't realize just how big the loss of James White was last year. As a passing threat White was always what the QB needed, either as a safety valve, or a route runner. Well Ekelar is the same kind of passing threat as White, while being a HUGE upgrade as a runner. Ekelar can a #1 RB on a lot of teams. Here he could be a true 3rd down back who, unlike White, really IS a run threat AND adds a legitimate 2nd RB reps that would save BOTH Rham and him from being overused. PLUS as Toys has proposed, he'd be a decent receiving threat as a pure pass receiver. Those are a NUMBER of holes that he would fill with just ONE contract.

But there's the rub. His contract demands AND the trade cost. Here's what I would be willing to do. It would be a 3 year $30MM deal with a $11MM signing bonus. and $1MM salary. He gets his 2023 twelve million demand and the Pats get 3 years of his rare talent ant position flexibility in his prime.

I think they can get his first year cap number to be about $5MM and the difference will be easily taken care of by the huge cap space we will be having in the next 2 years. As for the asset that would be needed to trade to the Chargers, I'd be willing to give up the last 4th rounder we have.

You've got Stevenson coming to his contract. I'd rather keep him than be locked into Ekeler, and have something like a Shaq Mason/Thuney situation at RB.

And prime for a RB isn't beginning at 28 anymore.

Cousins,

Problem:

Solution:

OK, ridicule me gently.
DW Toys

Stats

If you want to send P.Strong, I wouldn't include a draft pick... Or if I did it would be a conditional one, up to a 5th based on time played, or stat incentives or a late round swap this year... He's going to want money & will be 28 in May...

Bill the GM is way too cheap to pay a RB anything big...and rightly so....RB are a dime a dozen and the good ones impact games way less than they used to (think Emmit Smith, Thurman Thomas, Tomlinson, etc) if you have a COMPETENT NFL offense. Hint, last year's offense was not competent, hence,. Stephenson was way too involved

Bill the GM is way too cheap to pay a RB anything big...and rightly so....RB are a dime a dozen and the good ones impact games way less than they used to (think Emmit Smith, Thurman Thomas, Tomlinson, etc) if you have a COMPETENT NFL offense. Hint, last year's offense was not competent, hence,. Stephenson was way too involved
HE WOULD BE PAID AS A SLOT WR COUSIN. RB IS HIS MOONLIGHT JOB.
DW Toys

I believe Schuster is going to line up in the slot. With Parker and Thorton on the outside.

Damien Harris will when the Bills are up next.

if he somehow manages to make it out of the ice tub for that game

are you suggesting we should have paid to keep damien harris on the team?

Ekeler is phenomenal and would be great as co rb with rhamondre and receiving threat.
I have been on the trade a 3rd or 4th for Ekeler bandwagon. He is great in the red zone.
Would really help Mac

Last edited:
if he somehow manages to make it out of the ice tub for that game

are you suggesting we should have paid to keep damien harris on the team?
Ya, he's a bust.

Forget about the 15 rushing TDs he scored in 2021.

I think there's no chance Bill gives that type of money to that type of player.

James White was great, but he never made very much.
That's always been the patriots way of business maximize everything out of a player while on a rookie dea or Cheap deal.

Ecklers a nice player, But often injured.

That's always been the patriots way of business maximize everything out of a player while on a rookie dea or Cheap deal.

Ecklers a nice player, But often injured.

Another RB that does not understand his value within the NFL. He is very athletically gifted, so it sucks for him, but it is what it is.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back