PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Who takes Edelman's spot on the roster?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who takes Julian Edelman's roster spot?

• Austin Carr

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • D.J. Foster

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Devin Lucien

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • A veteran not currently on the roster

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Some other player currently on the Pats roster

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
With Julian Edelman presumably headed to injured reserve, who replaces him on the opening night 53-man roster?

Is it another receiver who has spent the off-season with the Patriots, such as rookie Austin Carr or 2016 7th round pick Devin Lucien?

Could it be D.J. Foster, now in his second year in the Pats organization, who possesses the versatility that Bill Belichick covets with his ability to play running back and wide receiver?

Would Belichick instead look elsewhere for a veteran wide receiver, scouring the waiver wire on September 2nd, or perhaps picking up a player by trade before then?

Or does this give a player at another position such as defensive end an opportunity to make the team? Does this increase Brandon Bolden's chances of surviving roster cuts?

Your thoughts?

Maybe Foster.... both he and Burkhead almost seem like slot receivers. And you know White will get his catches as well.

D.J. needs to be on the roster. dress 4 RBs? no problem when all of them can catch the ball.
You are already dressing 4 without him plus a FB plus possibly bolden.

The guy who benefits the most from this is Mitchell.
With cooks, Edelman, and hogan his playing time looked hard to get.
Now he will be in the top 3. And amendola moves from an afterthought to a role as the 4

I'd like Foster or Carr to get the "spot" but there is no replacement for 11.

Foster is a duel threat that had a hard time when strictly lines up at wr. He's a match up guy.

Carr is still learning but id love to see him at the end of the year.

And please stop with Cooks. He's not a slot WR and lines up outside 90% of the time.

It'll be a collective effort to replace Jules.

It forces Josh/Tom to get a lil more creative and we have no shortage of weapons.

One thing that I haven't heard mentioned is the Gillislee/Rex looks at the same time.

Those two could have a similar effect that Gronk and Hern had.

They would force DC to show their hand and we would still have tons of versatility on the field to accomplish what we want.

Still not sold on Carr's abilities vs. man coverage but he's shown enough vs. zone, great hands & catch radius and has shown good field awareness. I think he would be in the right place & on the same page if he had to be thrust in the offense with Brady.

Considering in 2018 Edelman will be a 32 year old WR coming off an ACL injury & Amendola will be a FA, it makes sense to develop him as a gameday inactive WR5.

You really can't replace what Edelman means to Brady and the offense. If Edelman is indeed hurt, it may be the last time he effectively plays for the Pats. A year rehab and then the following year to get back to 'normal' really puts him at the later part of his career.I remember the sputtering offense without Edelman, and it puts a knot in my gut thinking about another year without his dependability.

That being said, Foster seems to be able to run some of the routes Edelman runs, but his fumble last weeks makes me question whether he can protect the ball.

Carr has been the invisible man lately, he will be a project.

I am sure BB already covets someone who he feels can be his replacement, but Amendola was suppose to take Welkers place and that didn't work as planned.

Whatever the final plan is, the expectation of this season is gone for me and the realization that we may have a long struggle to get back to the top is slowly dawning.

You really can't replace what Edelman means to Brady and the offense. If Edelman is indeed hurt, it may be the last time he effectively plays for the Pats. A year rehab and then the following year to get back to 'normal' really puts him at the later part of his career.I remember the sputtering offense without Edelman, and it puts a knot in my gut thinking about another year without his dependability.

That being said, Foster seems to be able to run some of the routes Edelman runs, but his fumble last weeks makes me question whether he can protect the ball.

Carr has been the invisible man lately, he will be a project.

I am sure BB already covets someone who he feels can be his replacement, but Amendola was suppose to take Welkers place and that didn't work as planned.

Whatever the final plan is, the expectation of this season is gone for me and the realization that we may have a long struggle to get back to the top is slowly dawning.

Of course it hurts to lose Edelman, but it's always a year to year thing with the Pats. If they can win without Gronk they can without Jules. There are more ways than one way to skin a cat.

Probably Austin Carr. Similar three cone, shuttle, and broad jump scores. Doesn't mean he's Edelman, but the physical tools are there. He'll probably only play on special teams, but that's fine. Amendola should be able to step in for Edelman; Danny's not the same player but there's no team better positioned for this kind of injury where you can have a top-15 slot guy step in for a top-3 slot guy.

If they were looking for a veteran, and I kind of doubt they are, Allen Hurns is a slot guy and is likely on the trade block. Maybe they could get him for Ealy or one of the swing tackles. Both teams had a close look at each other just last week, after all. He had a really down year last year, but so did everyone on that team thanks to Bortles.

I think if Mitchell is not ready to go game one, we will probably take another wide out between Lucien and Carr...if Mitchell is deemed ready, I think it opens it up for possibly Foster.

I think they will keep an extra wr and have one less rb

Gillislee, White, Burkhead, Lewis leaves room for an rb on the practice squad

Rbs had a total of 90 catches last year....this group is ready for 150

Combo of Carr and Lucien and cross your fingers amendola holds up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill