PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who can we stash away after cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they cut a UDFA before the first pre-season game? It takes a lot for them to make that sort of cut. I mean, you have to be downright sucking it. In fact, isn't it better that they keep the full 90 man roster until they have to do cut-downs after game 4.. Much more likely for someone to sneak through when you have to cut 37 players all at once.
Look at the daily transaction wire. Teams are constantly churning the bottom of their roster. In the past, the Pats have been no different.

The Patriots only had 4 Draft Picks. Rivers, Wise, McDermott, Garcia. In Belichick's history, he's never cut a 4th round pick or higher out of training camp.

Are you honestly telling me that Garcia or Rivers have been so bad they deserve to be cut?

McDermott odd's of making the team are slim. The other 3 are locks.

If you go back and look, though, the Patriots don't keep their own guys. By the end of the season, almost all of the practice squad will be filled with other team's guys.

Last year, we kept Lucien, and that was all. The rest of the practice squad guys came from elsewhere. The year before, at the end of the season, it was all other team's guys.

I think folks forget that the purpose of the Practice Squad is NOT solely (or even primarily) to be a developmental stash/farm team, although it sometimes functions as a deep backup reserve to cover for injuries.

Occasionally, the Pats have stashed a player on the PS for a week or two at the start of the season, and then called him up to become a semi-permanent fixture on the 53-man. And, toward the end of the season, the Pats will occasionally sign a new guy who they might be interested in taking a closer look at for the following season.

But, mainly, the PS is the backbone of the Scout Team. PS players and special-teamers/roster-end guys from the 53-man combine to form an offense that mimics the offense of the Pats upcoming opponent for the primary defensive players to practice against, and a defense that mimics the defense of the upcoming opponent for Brady and the #1s on offense to practice against.

Brady and the #1s on offense can't be spending precious practice reps during the week mimicking the opponent's offense for the benefit of the starting defense. Brady and crew need every rep to install and practice their own game plan. Same for the defensive #1s.

So, the guys who end up on the PS are selected because they can fill a role on the Scout team. Sometimes they're the Pats own cuts; frequently they're not. In any case, PS players generally spend very few of their practice reps rehearsing the Pats' own system, schemes and playbook for the sake of furthering their personal quest to graduate to the 53-man. Instead, they're always working some other team's stuff.

During the regular season, the Pats will often drop a guy who's been on the PS for several weeks and sign a different guy, often at a completely different position. Then, a week later, the new guy is cut and the previous player re-signed. It's often assumed that the short-term pickup simply failed his "tryout". In fact, the guy was typically hired as a "temp" to portray the role of a specific player on the upcoming opponent's team in practice.

Although the PS is limited to 10 players, by the end of the regular season, perhaps as many as 20 different guys will have rotated through it. Out of the maybe 200 players who have, at one time or another, been on the Pats' PS over the past 16 seasons, really relatively few have ever "graduated" to full-time 53-man roster status in New England.

The Patriots only had 4 Draft Picks. Rivers, Wise, McDermott, Garcia. In Belichick's history, he's never cut a 4th round pick or higher out of training camp.

Are you honestly telling me that Garcia or Rivers have been so bad they deserve to be cut?

I think you may be misreading his post -- I took it to mean that that 6th-round pick McDermott is a long shot. (Or at the very least, keeping BOTH Garcia and McDermott is a long shot).

You mean the guy who they just talked about having a solid camp.. Ok..

If you expect McDermott to make it, are you projecting 5 OTs, or rookies at both backup OT spots?

Why do you say that? He had 2 drops and a false start, yesterday.

As another poster mentioned, Lucien has a much harder time making the team this year.

he has had an otherwise fantastic camp.......he will be on another team if he doesn't make the 53 here

Why would they cut a UDFA before the first pre-season game? It takes a lot for them to make that sort of cut. I mean, you have to be downright sucking it. In fact, isn't it better that they keep the full 90 man roster until they have to do cut-downs after game 4.. Much more likely for someone to sneak through when you have to cut 37 players all at once.

Pats did cut several players during spring but no UDFA (as I am sure you very well know being our roster moves keeper). Pats are one of very few teams not cutting an UDFA yet despite having most on the roster (and having arguably the deepest roster in the league).

Well over 100 UDFAs have been cut already around the league (some 4 per team). Chiefs f.e. already cut 12 of their UDFAs.

Pats scouts must feel good at the moment..

Although the PS is limited to 10 players, by the end of the regular season, perhaps as many as 20 different guys will have rotated through it. Out of the maybe 200 players who have, at one time or another, been on the Pats' PS over the past 16 seasons, really relatively few have ever "graduated" to full-time 53-man roster status in New England.

More than a few have graduated to "full-time" on the 53 man roster.
Tom Ashworth
Dan Connolly
Russ Hochstein
Brandon King
Brandon Gorin
Billy Yates
Eric Alexander
Wesley Britt
Stephen Neal
Ryan Wendell
Kyle Arrington
Sergio Brown
Jordan Devey
Sealver Siliga

I have been very impressed with hollister, Lucien, and Moore.

A good preseason by Moore and Cyrus Jones ends up on the jets.

If you expect McDermott to make it, are you projecting 5 OTs, or rookies at both backup OT spots?

They've kept 5 OTs in the past and Fleming seems to be playing himself out of a job.
I'm not EXPECTING anything. I'm saying not to write McDermott off.

I have been very impressed with hollister, Lucien, and Moore.

A good preseason by Moore and Cyrus Jones ends up on the jets.

Keep telling yourself that. Jones has outplayed Moore consistently. Coleman is the one who is on his way to the Jets, if it's anyone.

I would think that the JJ and C Jones make the 53, with Coleman signed somewhere else, and Moore on our Practice Squad.

Keep telling yourself that. Jones has outplayed Moore consistently. Coleman is the one who is on his way to the Jets, if it's anyone.

LANGI (OLB/DE)
does seem likely to make the 53. He's certainly getting a good look. In order to keep Langi, absent injury, one of the following would be beaten out in our 14 front roster positions: Grissom, Roberts, Van Noy, McClellan, Ealy.

BUTLER (DT)
I see Butler on the PS. I don't see him beating out Guy or Valentine for a DT spot, and certainly not both Ealy and Grissom for a DE roster spot.

MOORE (DB)
is the fav of the day. I see him on the PS. I suppose that he could beat out Richards for the 11th DB roster spot. He seems unlikely to beat out both J Jones and Coleman for the 5th CB spot.

THE REST
I don't see any likely to make the 53. Of course, a surprise could happen.

The Pats have had 1-3 UDFAs on the roster since 2003 & have averaged 3.5 making the team since 2013.

Carr hasn't impressed me all that much in person. Before preseason game 1 we seem like were down to 3 strong contenders:

Harvey Langi DE/OLB
Adam Butler sub package DT
Kenny Moore CB

With likely only 3 draft picks making the team, I can see 2/3 UDFAs making the team.

Regarding Lucien, I wouldn't keep a 6th WR over any front seven player with promise. Cooks/Edelman/Mitchell/Hogan is the future at the position for a few seasons too. I think he'd make the PS.

D.J Foster is talented but not better than any of the 4 RBs. He'll probably get picked up somewhere.

Last edited:
If you go back and look, though, the Patriots don't keep their own guys. By the end of the season, almost all of the practice squad will be filled with other team's guys.

Last year, we kept Lucien, and that was all. The rest of the practice squad guys came from elsewhere.

Woodrow Hamilton, Chris Barker, and Tyler Gaffney all were on the Patriots roster during the preseason and ended the season on the Patriots practice squad.

LANGI (OLB/DE)
does seem likely to make the 53. He's certainly getting a good look. In order to keep Langi, absent injury, one of the following would be beaten out in our 14 front roster positions: Grissom, Roberts, Van Noy, McClellan, Ealy.

BUTLER (DT)
I see Butler on the PS. I don't see him beating out Guy or Valentine for a DT spot, and certainly not both Ealy and Grissom for a DE roster spot.

MOORE (DB)
is the fav of the day. I see him on the PS. I suppose that he could beat out Richards for the 11th DB roster spot. He seems unlikely to beat out both J Jones and Coleman for the 5th CB spot.

THE REST
I don't see any likely to make the 53. Of course, a surprise could happen.

Agreed. Butler is interesting though. His strengths to his game are speed and swim moves. That doesn't really describe anyone on the roster. I hope we'll see an extensive look tonight.

A related question: are there opportunities to carve out space on a short-term "cutdown day roster"? For instance, as of now nobody seems to be really stepping up to claim the 3rd TE job. If Gronk and Allen are both healthy and ready to go for game 1, maybe you carry just 2 TEs on the initial roster to protect a player at another position.

True, but how many do other teams actually sign off New England's practice squad to their active roster? That's rare.

Happening more often. Happened 4 (Sankey, Reilly, Anthony Johnson, Street) times last year to the Patriots

True, but how many do other teams actually sign off New England's practice squad to their active roster? That's rare.

Miguel gave you 4.. And that doesn't include the 3 guys the Pats tried to "stash" there in Grugier-Hill, LeBlanc, and Roberts..

Miguel gave you 4.. And that doesn't include the 3 guys the Pats tried to "stash" there in Grugier-Hill, LeBlanc, and Roberts..
Agree, my bad. Some of those from last year I had completely forgotten about. I was thinking more throughout the BB-Brady era (e.g., Ted Larsen, Lee Smith, Jeremy Mincey, Corey Hilliard)... a rate of maybe one per year, if that?

2016 may turn out to be a better indicator for 2017 than previous seasons. I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back