PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where and how do the Patriots need to improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's early, and we can only go on what we've got, so...

Defense:

Can't cover
Can't get to the QB against good O-line
Can't tackle
Not great against the run

Offense:
Need a WR1 and depth
Need a RB1 and Burkhead needs to be better

In short, everything we worried about all off season has, to date, gone unrepaired.

No need to worry about the offense anymore. We got josh Gordon and Edelman is coming back. Gordon is as good a WR1 as you will find in this league

I'm still a little perplexed by BB's borderline obsessive concern with Bortles taking off running. If we had brought a few additional rushers he may have been forced to make quick decisions. Sure we would get burned on some, but much better than the 7 on 7 he was running during the game. How is Blake Bortles scrambling our biggest concern when we let him throw for nearly 400 yds?

Gordon is as good a WR1 as you will find in this league

4+ years ago since he's played at that level, I'm taking a very skeptical wait and see approach. I'm rooting for him though. Seems like a decent, albeit flawed, young man.

4+ years ago since he's played at that level, I'm taking a very skeptical wait and see approach. I'm rooting for him though. Seems like a decent, albeit flawed, young man.

Physically speaking...

I’ve been watching him closely since 2013. His legs, speed, leaping ability, reflexes, strength,
are all still there. He is still in his physical prime.

If his head is screwed on straight, we got ourselves in other worldly talent

Ocho, Holt, Galloway, decker, Wayne...they lost their reflexes and speed before coming to New England. Not the case with Gordon

No need to worry about the offense anymore. We got josh Gordon and Edelman is coming back. Gordon is as good a WR1 as you will find in this league

At this point, and until theory becomes reality, what you're talking about is hope in one hand....

At this point, and until theory becomes reality, what you're talking about is hope in one hand....

I’ve studied the film of Gordon since 2013...he’s still in his physical prime. He hasn’t lost his speed or reflexes. I trust my analysis. Just a matter if his head is screwed on. Which I will admit is a big if.

I personally think he will become a big factor in our offense.

To continue VP...they can't cover any RB's coming out of the Backfield. Kareem Hunt - Dalvin Cook and L Bell amomg others are on the menu boys.

Dawson, Chung, our corner depth could help here.

More worried about our front 7 vs the run and their lack of pass rush abilities. If we really don’t see Hightower make a step forward and get help from Rivers and another DE, not to mention Shelton and Brown, we will be in trouble.

Linebacker is quite concerning. This is a total long shot, but Lavonte David would fix a lot of problems. Excellent in coverage too. 3 years left at a bargain: $8.7m (2018), then $9.7m and $10.7m.

I'm still worried about our run blocking, especially the interior of our O line...I don't have a lot of confidence in Andrews... and Waddle is a concern at tackle if Cannon can't stay healthy and at this point, that's a big question mark.

I'm still worried about our run blocking, especially the interior of our O line...I don't have a lot of confidence in Andrews... and Waddle is a concern at tackle if Cannon can't stay healthy and at this point, that's a big question mark.

Agreed Waddle is not starting quality in the nfl. He gets exposed big time.

I'm still a little perplexed by BB's borderline obsessive concern with Bortles taking off running. If we had brought a few additional rushers he may have been forced to make quick decisions. Sure we would get burned on some, but much better than the 7 on 7 he was running during the game. How is Blake Bortles scrambling our biggest concern when we let him throw for nearly 400 yds?

Huh? They blitzed a lot...

LB & pass rush
Pass rush & LB
LB & pass rush
Pass rush & LB
LB & pass rush
Pass rush & LB
LB & pass rush
Pass rush & LB.....

Any combination of the above

Drafting Justin Reid would have been nice. Having a DT like Akiem Hicks would be nice. Drafting some defensive speed would have been nice. Having both starting safeties not over the age of 30 would be nice. Keeping Hightower off the field will help. Malcolm Brown as a 1st round pick has been less than impactful (liked the pick at the time though). Finally, if you're going to use an NFL team as your farm system, try to pick one that hasn't been one of the worst franchises in NFL history over the last couple of years.

Also...Trade for Deone Bucannon and invent time machine to go back and draft Yannick Ngakoue over Cyrus Jones.

Last edited:
Offense - A serious running game. Brady is deadly with play action. Converting 3rd downs takes pressure off the defense.

Hoping Sony is the answer there.

Better playcalling. I don't get using Patterson the same way Minnesota and Oakland utilized him. Lets see some innovative schemes to get him the ball in space.

Defense - Better tackling. Tackling was pitiful vs Jax. A pass rush.
I'm optimistic about Michel. The OL got their asses handed to them, it was good to get any yards with the way they played and Sony ran hard.

Rather than jump off a cliff with mood swings because we lost a game to a good team who played an excellent game, I'll just note where I think they can improve. We're going to have largely current personnel with nothing radical barring Josh Gordon turning into a consistent threat.

I think we should use Hollister more until the receiver situation improves. He's working hard and catching the ball and it's obvious we need easy completions, or 1 more guy to cover. Otherwise just hope Dorset keeps improving, cause we're undermanned for a while.

Depth at RB? Maybe, but the guys who'll get the snaps were out there Sunday. Just need to get in rhythm.

We've got our two top LBs and a good looking rookie IMO. We had none consistently last year. If Roberts is the best of the rest for know, so be it. We aren't going to have LBs who run a 4.4, we use big LBs. Bortles played a great game, made the side line throws we wanted him to and can run when we apply pressure. There isn't an alternate team available so we can cut everybody. These players have to play better, coaches coach better.

We played great defensively at Houston with the same players. WE have healthy rushers, we just need to play better, good rotation. OLine need to play better but, again. Jax played great and when the defense can put 4 guys on Gronk and get away with it Brady will have to hold the ball too long.

One game, good team, great effort we lost. Once Edelman's back, we should be strong everywhere, but we have to whip into shape the execution.

You enjoyed watching Bortles run like a deer?

Running 20 yards for a first down is his quick decision.

You enjoyed watching Bortles run like a deer?

Running 20 yards for a first down is his quick decision.

Better him "running like a deer" than his wide open receivers. I'd rather him have to make quick decisions and run for 100 than sit back playing 7 on 7 and throw for 400.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes