PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where and how do the Patriots need to improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better him "running like a deer" than his wide open receivers. I'd rather him have to make quick decisions and run for 100 than sit back playing 7 on 7 and throw for 400.

You don't think running avoids the rush and gets first downs, which leads to easier passes. Are you going to cover receivers better by sending all out blitzes? Why would Bortles wait for our rush to get there when he can find single coverage due to the blitz and also can run for a first down?

Many valid concerns in this thread... Like Ray Clay stated most of the players we have are here to stay so what need across the board is better execution.

You don't think running avoids the rush and gets first downs, which leads to easier passes. Are you going to cover receivers better by sending all out blitzes? Why would Bortles wait for our rush to get there when he can find single coverage due to the blitz and also can run for a first down?

I'd take single coverage with the Jags WR core if he doesn't have an eight foot cushion in the pocket with all day to throw. You play the sit back and pray coverage against any offense, even a below avg one like the Jags, and you give up 400 yds to Blake freaking Bortles and his band of misfit skill guys.

I'd take single coverage with the Jags WR core if he doesn't have an eight foot cushion in the pocket with all day to throw. You play the sit back and pray coverage against any offense, even a below avg one like the Jags, and you give up 400 yds to Blake freaking Bortles and his band of misfit skill guys.

Don't understand how, when we haven't had a sniff past their Oline, just by deciding, we're going to suddenly sack him every play when he can easily, having a good day, run from pressure or or hit the man being left by the blitzer? If that was true, teams wouldn't spend a nickel on their secondary, they's just line up 5 DEs every play.

Many valid concerns in this thread... Like Ray Clay stated most of the players we have are here to stay so what need across the board is better execution.

Fingers crossed, I like our personnel better than last year, except for WR which will have to evolve. In addition to talent,that means at least two besides Edelman and Hogan and maybe using Hollister more IMO.

All Star teams in any sport rarely go all the way, complimentary teams do.

Don't understand how, when we haven't had a sniff past their Oline, just by deciding, we're going to suddenly sack him every play when he can easily, having a good day, run from pressure or or hit the man being left by the blitzer? If that was true, teams wouldn't spend a nickel on their secondary, they's just line up 5 DEs every play.

Not sack him every play. Simply make him less comfortable than he was. He wasn't playing with "The Greatest Show on Turf" out there (even though they looked like it against that defense).

Jamie Collins ain't coming through that door...Chandler Jones ain't coming through that door Jarod Mayo ain't coming through that door. The point is you need Good Talent for an effective D. The Patriots does not have that at the moment: at the Trade Deadline they need to move some of those Future picks for an effective player on D. One have to wonder is Hightower over paid?? He better get his act together he was handsomely paid by the GM BB.
At the time, the deal for Hightower looked like a bargain.

Now... could we have used the money from Hightower on someone else? Obviously we had no idea that he was going to be injured an entire year, but in hindsight, the deal doesn't look great.

Now... could we have used the money from Hightower on someone else? Obviously we had no idea that he was going to be injured an entire year, but in hindsight, the deal doesn't look great.
Well some Cardinals fans are starting to turn on Jones now, which means that fans aren’t currently completely content with what their teams paid to Jones, Butler, Collins, or Hightower.

(Jones did have a strip sack week 1, but then was immediately penalized for jumping on Alex Smith late. Other than that, not up to last year’s standards right now.)

Well some Cardinals fans are starting to turn on Jones now, which means that fans aren’t currently completely content with what their teams paid to Jones, Butler, Collins, or Hightower.

(Jones did have a strip sack week 1, but then was immediately penalized for jumping on Alex Smith late. Other than that, not up to last year’s standards right now.)
A few years and we'll all turn on Bentley too

A few years and we'll all turn on Bentley too

lol

Give it two more missed tackles like the one against Bortles and the honeymoon period for fans with him will be over.

I said it after the defense looked fine against the Texans and I will repeat it after it looked bad against the Jaguars.

Don't overreact to the positive or negative in the first 4-5 weeks. Give both sides of the team and the staff time to figure out their respective identities. Don't judge players on single games but on a sample of 4-5 games because then you can clearly see whose arrow truly is going up or down.

Bill Belicheck "We're going to play with the players we have on the roster."

Patsfans.com "We're never going to play with the players we have. When things are bad we're going to pretend we can get back players we traded, or redo all drafts from the last five years, or acquire every high priced FA in the league, regardless of salary cap. Also get rid of every player before they have injuries.":)

Let's start by defending the undernearth drag routes and speedy RBs.

If they need to change the current personnel so be it.

Let's start by defending the undernearth drag routes and speedy RBs.

If they need to change the current personnel so be it.

Those shallow crossing routes will be tough to stop with our slow LB corps. We don’t have anyone who can defend sideline to sideline.

Those shallow crossing routes will be tough to stop with our slow LB corps. We don’t have anyone who can defend sideline to sideline.

Most, if not all of the JAX crossing/drag routes were executed by their WRs. It was Rowe, Chung and even JJ that were slow on the trail every single time. Whether it be because they were the victims of pick plays or poor recognition, the coverage needs to be much better or it will happen all year.

To your point the LBs are not very quick or have speed. I think Bentley and KVN are average at best. With that said both were in positions to make tackles on Sunday and they missed their opportunities. On other words, they got there but just didn't finish the job.

I'm not sure what to make of Hightower. They aren't playing him as much. Maybe after being out a year they are slow rolling him back into the defense. Maybe he has lost a 1/2 a step. I don't know yet.

The reality is the Patriots defensive weaknesses can't be fixed. They cannot cover the middle of the field. They have one of the worst LB corps in football. Hightower is very overrated, can't cover anyone and is oft injured. Everyone else is roster filler. Their safeties are older and lacking speed.
The D has been exposed and the blueprint on how to attack them and beat them is there for all to see.

The offense is spotty and inconsistent. They will get better over time but the troubling trend of getting off to slow starts, something we saw last season including in the Super Bowl, is starting to show itself again.
I like this team for 11 wins this season. I don't see a Super Bowl this year. Too many weaknesses to overcome.

The deal was a bargain because the Steelers and Jets would not pay big bucks
for an injured player.

The reality is the Patriots defensive weaknesses can't be fixed. They cannot cover the middle of the field. They have one of the worst LB corps in football. Hightower is very overrated, can't cover anyone and is oft injured. Everyone else is roster filler. Their safeties are older and lacking speed.
The D has been exposed and the blueprint on how to attack them and beat them is there for all to see.

The offense is spotty and inconsistent. They will get better over time but the troubling trend of getting off to slow starts, something we saw last season including in the Super Bowl, is starting to show itself again.
I like this team for 11 wins this season. I don't see a Super Bowl this year. Too many weaknesses to overcome.
The Patriots are an aging team without enough young replacements in sight. When
the Belichick/Brady era ceases, the Patriots will be the next Cleveland Browns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft