PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where and how do the Patriots need to improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
While I am not overly concern with this loss I saw some things that were concerning.

Some will improve in time naturally as certain players come back and some might be long term issues that will need to be worked around if the Pats are to win a 6th title.

What do you think are the easy fixes and what are some areas that can't simply be fixed and how are we to work around them? Just looking for generation discussion about the growth of this team over the next 14 games.

In order of importance:

- Defensively, we need to work on zone defense communication, IMO. Too many open crossing routes on Sunday for my tastes.

- Defensively, we need to contain the pocket better.

- Defensively, we need some pass rush...not sure if we can get better at this.

- Offensively, we need better blocking from the interior to get our rushing game going.

Where is finished Rivers ? I had expectations on him...i am also worried about lb...Hightower must play much much more better...

-Speed of our linebackers (Roberts being on the field too much)
-lack of consistent pass rush (especially if Flowers isn't on the field)
-having to play Waddle too often (Can Cannon stay on the field)
- better secondary play behind Gilmore
-Andrews seems to get blown up too often by good defensive tackles

Front 7 other than Flowers is awful. Hightower needs to rebound but the rest of that group is talent deficient no matter how many fans will rush to declare Van Noy as solid, Brown and Shelton quality players and Wise/Clayborn as great situational rushers. There's 1 quality starter in 7 guys and a bunch of mediocrities. That's tough to win Super Bowls with unless you get career years (see A.Branch in 2016) from otherwise unremarkable talent. The LB can't cover or run well, the DT can't push the pocket and the overall talent base is so specialized (rushers vs run defenders) that it makes it easy for teams to attack.

Flowers and a prime Hightower cover a lot of flaws but its still among the worst front 7's among playoff hopeful teams. Certainly one of the very worst interior lines and LB group among the top 10-12 teams.

Our linebackers just aren’t fast enough to cover receivers running across the middle of the field. I have no idea how you scheme around that.

Zone defense, IMO.

Have the outside corners jam the receivers at the LOS, two LB'ers in zone coverage, and our safeties in a cover 3?

Zone defense, IMO.

Have the outside corners jam the receivers at the LOS, two LB'ers in zone coverage, and our safeties in a cover 3?

If we go zone all of the time we’re not going to be able to bring extra pressure on the QB. It’s gonna be up to the Front 4.

If we go zone all of the time we’re not going to be able to bring extra pressure on the QB. It’s gonna be up to the Front 4.

Yup....we weren't getting much pressure with 5-6 man rushes on Sunday anyway....

It's a pick your poison scenario, but I'd rather offenses have time for the QB to throw into competitive situations vs. our DB's versus wide open throws to guys being trailed by 230+ lb. linebackers.

It's early, and we can only go on what we've got, so...

Defense:

Can't cover
Can't get to the QB against good O-line
Can't tackle
Not great against the run

Offense:
Need a WR1 and depth
Need a RB1 and Burkhead needs to be better

In short, everything we worried about all off season has, to date, gone unrepaired.

Jamie Collins ain't coming through that door...Chandler Jones ain't coming through that door Jarod Mayo ain't coming through that door. The point is you need Good Talent for an effective D. The Patriots does not have that at the moment: at the Trade Deadline they need to move some of those Future picks for an effective player on D. One have to wonder is Hightower over paid?? He better get his act together he was handsomely paid by the GM BB.

- Defensively, we need to contain the pocket better.

- Defensively, we need some pass rush...not sure if we can get better at this.
These 2 directly conflict with each other.

Our linebackers just aren’t fast enough to cover receivers running across the middle of the field. I have no idea how you scheme around that.

To continue VP...they can't cover any RB's coming out of the Backfield. Kareem Hunt - Dalvin Cook and L Bell amomg others are on the menu boys.

Offense - A serious running game. Brady is deadly with play action. Converting 3rd downs takes pressure off the defense.

Hoping Sony is the answer there.

Better playcalling. I don't get using Patterson the same way Minnesota and Oakland utilized him. Lets see some innovative schemes to get him the ball in space.

Defense - Better tackling. Tackling was pitiful vs Jax. A pass rush.

To continue VP...they can't cover any RB's coming out of the Backfield. Kareem Hunt - Dalvin Cook and L Bell amomg others are on the menu boys.

Are we 100% Bell’s on the menu?

Jamie Collins ain't coming through that door...Chandler Jones ain't coming through that door Jarod Mayo ain't coming through that door. The point is you need Good Talent for an effective D. The Patriots does not have that at the moment: at the Trade Deadline they need to move some of those Future picks for an effective player on D. One have to wonder is Hightower over paid?? He better get his act together he was handsomely paid by the GM BB.

Yes he is over paid. He would be over paid at a much lower salary than he currently has. He does nothing well at this point.

Also, does anybody else agree that D McCourty's pre game motivational speeches seem forced? He comes across like a tool. A truly obnoxious guy.

These 2 directly conflict with each other.

Not if you can get push from your DT position. However the Pats seem to covet run stuffing DT (who aren't very good at it) vs. pocket pushers. I would take Akiem Hicks over anybody in our current front 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back