PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's your least favorite transaction of the BB era?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking different player in the draft really isn't a transaction, it's just a draftnik b.tch.

Worst transaction, Ochocinco. 6 million dollars for a truly sucky player.

Best transaction(s) a 4th for Randy Moss, then getting a third back for him. So they essentially moved up a round in exchange for Randy Moss.

SBs won since trading mankins. 2 in 3 years.

SBs won with mankins 0 in 9 years.

Hard to argue it was a bad trade.
It's actually pretty easy to argue it to people who understand the phrase "Correlation does not imply causation."

BB has had mistakes, that i get...

but the moves that were made the day before some of our superbowls? i HATE those w/ a passion, and the effect they had on the team was probably 0% because the 53rd player barely mattered

i hate when he does that, and to this day ill accept all his moves except that one...you made it to the SB with that group, do not cut a guy the day BEFORE

Best transaction(s) a 4th for Randy Moss, then getting a third back for him. So they essentially moved up a round in exchange for Randy Moss.

That happened on the Saturday before Mother's Day. What will Bill Belichick do tomorrow?

(Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there.)

I still don't fully understand why this happened, why didn't they let him play out the season? Was he going to be a malcontent without a new contract?

When the season kicked in they would change cap figure from top 51 to the entire team, so reducing Milloy's (or someone's) number was necessary to remain in compliance.

cutting underwood the day before the superbowl

I don't understand why anyone is bothered by this. Saturday shuffling of back end and PS guys for special teams reasons was done regularly that season, and Bill needed a different body to take the snaps that would have gone to Gronk.

Branch was being unreasonable in his contract demands, wasn't he?

No, the contention went back to Branch's rookie year and he had good reason to be upset. Bill made a final play at the last minute that would have roughly equaled Seattle's offer, but bridges had been burned by that point.

BB has had mistakes, that i get...

but the moves that were made the day before some of our superbowls? i HATE those w/ a passion, and the effect they had on the team was probably 0% because the 53rd player barely mattered

i hate when he does that, and to this day ill accept all his moves except that one...you made it to the SB with that group, do not cut a guy the day BEFORE

Much better to cut him a day before the SB than a week before... and the reason for that should be obvious and goes without saying.

It's actually pretty easy to argue it to people who understand the phrase "Correlation does not imply causation."
Actually to argue the trade was bad based on those factors would be saying it is causation.

Duane Starks and it isn't close

The next one.

Oh wait, that doesn't apply to this kind of thread. Um, I'll have to go with the Duane Starks signing.

Letting Scar retire.

B2b 5th round safeties in the 2nd round.

To me, this is obvious. There's no doubt in my mind that trading Deon Branch cost them the 2006 Super Bowl.

My first thought as well.

I woulda liked to see us go a little harder after emmanuel sanders. Pitt was a bit strapped cap wise and a solid contract wouldve been hard for them to match. Bb already was willing to part with a 3rd if they didn't match our offer so why not toss out some dough. Woyldve love to see him in this offense and he really couldve helped with all the injuries and other issues at receiver in '13 and '15

Gawd, I hate these "least favorite" and "worst of" threads.

Let's dredge up negativity and bad memories about ... something! Huzzah! o_O

Then don't participate. Or does the irony of spreading negativity about something that is hurting no one escape you?

I was filled with a fair amount of rage when they resigned Andrews a couple of days ago. They refuse to even try to upgrade at center- their weakest position. I've now moved on to resignation. Struggling against pressure up the middle in playoff games is just something I have to get used to. It's not going to change.

The worst Belichick move was clearly his refusal to address the gaping hole at WR in 06 with anything resembling an NFL WR. Cost us the AFCG and almost certainly cost us a title. Worst of all it gave Gomer his only real title. Then there was a year or two where had zero pass rush. His teams seem a bit more balanced recently.

Trading up for a blocking TE in the first round: Daniel Graham

Least favorite. Trading Seymour to Faiders. Not saying it wasn't worth it (technically). It paid dividends (Solder) and Sey wasn't gonna make a good $ deal for NE, but I still wish there was some way they could have worked it out and pats still got their guy in the draft another way.

Funny, nobody has mentioned benching the star qb (or trading him to Jills) for a 6rnd draft choice. ;) At the time, there were a lot of folks saying it was a bad decision. :)

I'm still bitter that BB reached Richard Seymour in 2001 when he could have taken David Boston, a sure thing superstar WR that would have anchored our offense for a decade. And then he drafted Matt Light in the second round, what a waste of a draft pick. Guy may be a decent coach, but doesn't know what he's doing as a GM.

Kidding. In fact, BB has a get of jail free card for life with me. There isn't a single move that gets a thumbs down from me. He's kissed a lot of frogs in free agency and the draft, but that's part of the business and he's found a lot of keepers. Branch and Milloy were tough to take in the moment. But the Branch trade provided the draft capital that brought Moss and Mayo onto the team... and we won the SB immediately after losing Milloy. So, yeah. What's not to like?

I hate threads like this because people evaluate individual transactions without looking at the bigger picture. It's like saying Brady threw the dumbest INT ever against the Seahawks in the Super Bowl in the red zone, absolutely ****ing terrible. Yes, that's true, but guess what? We also won the freaking Super Bowl! We could talk about Brady's pick 6 against Atlanta too, but again, it misses the bigger picture. You know, that we won the Super Bowl. Someone let Markie Mark know.

Take the Mankins example. Yes, he had a few seasons left in him. But if he's on the roster in 2014, maybe we don't win it all. Maybe he clashes with Googs to the point of causing a distraction. Googs sucked, no doubt about it, but maybe Mankins wouldn't put up with it and cause internal conflict because he doesn't want to follow things.

And the money that we saved could be seen as potentially going towards re-signing McCourty, or extending Cannon or Chung. All 3 helped us win our 2016 Super Bowl as well. So maybe we don't win either with Mankins aboard. You can't just change one thing in the past without a domino effect happening.

And it's not like we're the Jets wondering "what if Peyton Manning came out a year earlier..." We are the defending champs, have two Super Bowls in the past 3 years, and we're going to nitpick about some 3rd round LB who didn't work out or some G who got traded to the Bucs or some FA that didn't work out.

We all know other fan bases hate us. But maybe it's not the team. Maybe it's just us. And maybe we deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes