PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with Isaiah Wynn

If anything it has to do with his body control, balance on that side. You see him short steppin here. No explosion. Possibly protecting his inside or worried about an inside rush but he gets nothing out of his stance. Almost forced to use the two hand approach.

Compare that to here where he's gaining depth whether he kicks or jump sets. Strikes first using independent hands at times. Accurate strikes same side, center target. Definitely better times. Mind you these are some of the best rushers in the league too.

I just hate the two handed approach too. It just goes against everything I was taught, told and learned about the position. OL play is about survival more than anything else. You're over matched every play in terms of athleticism. It's not about winning. A defensive linemen has to win. An offensive linemen just has to be good enough considering the odds.

The two handed strike is more effective when it lands bc no one is taking a double tap from a 300+ pissed off dude but it leaves you exposed, off balance in some case and has a higher miss rate bc one arm is longer than two. Particularly helpful for Wynn to really utilize his length.

You can't always go to this approach. Depends on the rush, tackle, what they're coached with doing. I know certain coaches like each approach.

I think it could definitely have an effect on some players but truthfully at this point I'd have to really take another look. Closer than I have been and the A22 is still wonky from time to time. It's not as easy as before to sit down watch uninterrupted from a jump on the screen.

Also if Wynn just cut down or got rid of his flags he'd be an above average tackle. His play isn't bad. Probably average-slightly above average. It's the flags that are killing him/the team.

Brown has been our best by far. Followed by Onwenu. Everyone else is average-slightly above average. Strange is playing well. Flashes are there but he's playing well.

*edit* Sorry fell asleep looking at this yesterday and busy today.

Great insight, it makes sense that these motor skills that might seem minute actually are heavily practiced on one side, so when switching to another side, you're inversing the muscle groups and their roles. Therefore, things like balance, power, and hand usage would be completely in a flux, as indicated by the hand example you're giving.

Does switching sides for Brown and Wynn come down to a chemistry level? Is it something that they feel better who those two players being next to their respective guards?

Great insight, it makes sense that these motor skills that might seem minute actually are heavily practiced on one side, so when switching to another side, you're inversing the muscle groups and their roles. Therefore, things like balance, power, and hand usage would be completely in a flux, as indicated by the hand example you're giving.

Does switching sides for Brown and Wynn come down to a chemistry level? Is it something that they feel better who those two players being next to their respective guards?
In terms of the guards, who's beside them. Yes, it definitely matters imo. Wynn and Thuney communicated verbally and non-verbal. They had a great chemistry together and you saw the difference when Onwenu was switched. Some guys might take a half second longer bc they don't trust who beside them. Honestly both our guards have been good but both haven't made it easier on our tackles. Especially Brown he's pretty much been by himself on an island all year. I definitely think that matter.

In terms of the guards, who's beside them. Yes, it definitely matters imo. Wynn and Thuney communicated verbally and non-verbal. They had a great chemistry together and you saw the difference when Onwenu was switched. Some guys might take a half second longer bc they don't trust who beside them. Honestly both our guards have been good but both haven't made it easier on our tackles. Especially Brown he's pretty much been by himself on an island all year. I definitely think that matter.

It'd be cool to see more in-depth writing on what chemistry looks like on different levels of the football field. It's such an often tossed-around term, but there's so much that determines chemistry - and I'm sure position has to do with it as well. "Chemistry" and what it looks like could be very different between a guard and tackle than that of... a QB and WR... or the Secondary in zone/CB & safety... or the green-dot defensive player... etc.,

Stuff like this I think, once considered, provides draft insight. There's this whole blurry part of the draft from the average viewer that's reliant on terms like: "the system", "chemistry", or "intangibles" - terms that are more qualitative than quantitative, such as 40-yd dash time.

But the thing is, albeit abstract terms, chemistry and intangibles are both terms that have circumstances defining them, therefore there is a language and explanation (set of conditions) that can go beyond those terms. All that to say, I think more writings about those qualitative terms could provide hella context to those "head-scratcher" picks and provide insight into why a player is struggling when switching sides/trying different roles/etc.

The mere fact that Wynn was benched tells us the Coaches are noticing hopefully they keep him there. Can't have a guy like that protecting a young inexperienced QB.
Yeah... Hard to say. It's easy to point out the lapses.. the patriots keep everything so tight, so we don't know if he's dealing with something or not.. but wynn is one of the many issues we have.. I don't know what's happened to the defense as of late.. the red zone defense has been atrocious..

I challenge the statement that Wynn is a 'good' player. He has been mediocre at best. And if he's checked out because he's being asked to play RT for the good of the team, that puts him into dumpster tier.

Selfish players don't have a place on this team. Reality check for Wynn - You're getting paid 10 million dollars for 1 year, a sum of money most people don't see their whole lives. Now get off your fat ass, put that hard hat on, and ball out like you want a big contract cos right now you haven't earned nearly half of that hefty paycheck!

If Wynn's play doesn't improve real soon and real fast, my next question is how do we get this chump off our team?
Ok fair statement, however if he wasn't a good player you have to ask why was he a 1st round draft pick? The patriots do thier due diligence like every other NFL franchise. Checked out meaning mentally, have you not ever been Checked out before on a job you dislike? Relationship? Ect.. well guess what so do NFL players Check out.. the buy in is a real factor especially the grind the patriots go through.. he didn't just get to the NFL and suck.. he's not the first and won't be the last line man to struggle.. he's one of the many problems on the team..

Noticed that L/L is now listed as Questionable on the injury report with a "hip" issue... I'm not an independent neurosurgeon, and I slept at home last night, but is the "hip" close to his vagina?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back