PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What O/U on Mac Jones TDs would make it a hard decision for you?

So you're hypothesis is that 2nd year Mac will be barely better than first year mac?
He's echoing the national Mac haters narrative that he's already at his ceiling and may even regress because McDaniels is gone. Meanwhile the 4 QB's picked in front of him will soar past him because of their greater talent.

25-27 if he's lucky and that would be a good td season, probably more like 21ish

He's echoing the national Mac haters narrative that he's already at his ceiling and may even regress because McDaniels is gone. Meanwhile the 4 QB's picked in front of him will soar past him because of their greater talent.
Well that's a dumb take. I'd hate to put him in charge of anything at all

Yes. I think Mac will play better and I think his interceptions will drop to 9 or possibly 8. There's also the x-factor of him feeling the pressure now that people are expecting a lot more from him so that could rattle him but I personally don't think this will affect him all that much as he comes across as having a good head on his shoulders. Is there something about the offense that has improved so much that you think the touchdown total will be significantly higher than that? Trust me I like Mac a lot and I would be delighted if I'm way off but I'm just being realistic.
Yes, Mac had a full season under his belt. He went from winning a national championship, right to thd draft, to training camp to games. He didn't have any break or time to really prepare himself mentally, physically and emotionally for a grueling 18 game season.

They are tailoring the offense to Mac's strengths and the strength of the playmakers in the offense. He has an awesome stable of running backs, and a potential field stretcher of a WR. So yeah, I think Mac is going to be much better than he was last year.

Also regarding pressure, he had one of the best statistical seasons ever in the history of college football, in the best conference at Alabama. I think the kid understands a thing or two about dealing with pressure

22 * 1.05 = 23.1 say 24

Without knowing how they are going to call the offense, it is really tough to tell. Will their tendency be to run the ball a lot in red zone situations like last year or will they put the ball in Mac Jones’ hands? The answer to that question can be a literal 5-10 TD swing.

I would say anywhere from 27-30 TDs...a 5-8 TD increase sounds about right when you take into account the additions of Parker, Thornton, and an improved (hopefully) Jonnu Smith.

Brady had 28 in his second year as a starter and the Patriots running game was ranked close to last in the league. They should have a very good running game this year.

27 would be a nice step forward for Mac, as would single digit INTs. I think that's doable. A bunch of those ints were on unlucky tips and Mac trying to make something happen late.

Also regarding pressure, he had one of the best statistical seasons ever in the history of college football, in the best conference at Alabama. I think the kid understands a thing or two about dealing with pressure
He was a rookie last year so I give him a pass
I fully expect him to improve in clutch situations, but these were his stats in games where Patriots trailed.
Screenshot_20220714-064318_Chrome.jpg
Obviously QB rating isn't everything but just something to keep an eye out.

I fully expect him to improve in clutch situations, but these were his stats in games where Patriots trailed.
View attachment 43888

His defense let him down a lot in some of those games. Like the Dallas game and the Tampa Bay game. And I honestly think he was hurt and probably physically exhausted towards the end of a 18 game season. I think he'll be able to better pace himself, he won't move into hits like he was early on in the season and manage the pocket better. So he'll be better later in the year

Yup, he lacked clutchness when trailing. Does Tom House teach that?
I heard McDaniels does, but I think he's only been able to impart it on established All-Pro QBs.

25 / 10...3 more TD's / 3 less Int's

Last edited:
View attachment 43888

Brady's numbers last year weren't great when trailing either...8 TDs, 7 INTs

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back