PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Zappe Beats out Brissett in TC? Now What?

I'm fine with Brissett starting...he's a journeyman level starter. Rookie QB should show that he can at least beat out a QB of that level.

I'm OK with trading down, but that's because my preferred style of play favors a guy like Michael Pratt who's likely to be available later in the first round. he's the sort of guy who makes the job of the O-line easier because of his speed, he's got the fastest 40 time of the QB prospects in this draft IIRC. and a dual threat QB can help the ground game, which I believe is crucial to an offense.

Frankly with the top flight QBs availlable in the upper first round I think Pratt is being slept on a bit, in a normal draft he'd be more of a focus for prospect hype.

I'd love to trade down and grab Pratt and one of the better O-liners. then go for a likely looking running back in the second or third rounds. Build our attack on the fundamentals of a good ground game and then add receiving talent later as best we can. sort of like what we tried to do with Mac before the wheels fell off.

With weaknesses at wideout, building for the ground attack makes a certain sense to me, using the air game as a change of pace for a dominant ground attack feels like something we can get going even if the QB struggles at first, and it's also a style Brissett is used to because they played that way when he was with both the Colts and the Browns, so it's a lower risk form of offense IMHO.

Last edited:
Not sure where this Zappe has a big ego stuff comes from. You want your qb to be confident. He thought he was better than Mac and he was. He thought he would end up starting and he did. The rest is crap from the Mac fans. If he beats out Brisett more power to him, either he got better or Brisett sucks.
Ideally Brissett plays well, but Zappe and Rourke play better.

That is the best scenario.

yeah right whatever GIF

I think there's a miniscule chance Zappe beats out Brissett.

People seem to be missing the point of Brissett. It isn't to win games or put up stats. He is here to mentor a rookie. Help him in the film room, help him prepare throughout the week, basically help the kid become a pro.

I think this is overrated but that's just my opinion. AVP is a former quarterback and Ben McAdoo supposedly knows plenty about the position, most of what goes into acclimating the rookie would be THEIR job. As presumed starter, Brissett will be busy getting a new offense established with all the newcomers (being one himself) vs. handholding a rookie. But what flips that narrative is if the rookie wins the starting job, in which case a veteran in the meeting room and on the sideline can offer guidance.

One thread at a time Cousin... Nathan Rourke have a better chance.
Zapp has to learn the AVP offense that JB already knows. Zap have a better shot at beating a drum.

Heard that about Zappe from another poster too I didn't like hearing it knowing that he's very limited.
Practice squad zap is what he is.

I have no evidence that Zappe ISN'T an a-hole when it comes to Mac, but we should be really careful trying to read too deeply into a "like" on social media. For all we know, Mac wanted out (and who could blame him after the last three years), and getting sent to his hometown team was a positive for him. Zappe liking that could be as much about seeing a teammate go somewhere he wanted to go, as it was "good riddance". Of course, I don't know either way, but this kind of extrapolation reminds me of when people try to predict what a player means when they just tweet an emoji or something. Social media is chaotic nonsense.
Since this is all conjecture, I can't really argue with your points. I referred to the like because it is a recent example of Zappe hitting the press in a less than favorable way. At best it was tone deaf, worst case it was a shot at Mac. In either case it was unusual behavior. To me a big part of this off season is cleaning out players that are not team first, especially where the on field results don't warrant any further consideration.

Cousins,
What if Wolfs' master plan of having Brissett as the starting QB for the Pats in 2024 was upset with the reemergence of Bailey Zappe beating him out in TC? ....Oops.

Would they automatically crown Brissett #1 anyway............ because he is a nice guy and the great "mentor" of course?

Was Zappe put into an not-ideal situation with the Mac Jones fiasco in 2023?

We all know now that Zappe is a pain in the ass and hyper competitive... like another young QB......

He's had some big games and some clunkers like another young QB..........Not a big sample but his completion percentage is actually better than Brissett.

I can hear the pundits screaming now and George from Medford or Lonnie from Revere or Waldo from Wareham goes spastic on talk radio.

How many Pats Fans will offer to bring Wolf to the airport?

Wouldn't "Hard Knocks" be perfect for the Pats this year?

DW Toys
Cuzzin,cuzzin,cuzzin(smh), no way in hell can Zappe beat out Brissett.
Zappe sucks. Period. He's worse than .Mac

I assume Wolf is trying to move Zappe for a 6th rounder, maybe a 2025. He showed some competence, has tempo, good mobility in the pocket, throws well on the move, and is a confident kid.

Brissett's a solid vet who AVP knows and likes. We just signed him for $8m, not $2m. He's our starter until our 1st pick unseats him. O'Rourke is our 3rd QB who hopefully becomes our #2 in 2026 after we move on from Jakoby.

Zapp has to learn the AVP offense that JB already knows. Zap have a better shot at beating a drum.
Real knowing AVP Offense means didley squat in Biscuits case. We have nowhere near the skill position players Cleveland have Biscuit is a JAG.

Stu, Brissett was brought in to be the interim starter... one year deal, cover for the rookie while he gets up to speed
That may be the default plan. He was chosen more for his leadership skills than his ability to win games on the field. On the field he is a safe option that won't turn the ball over. Given Brissett's low floor I am hoping that one of the other QBs play well enough to force the issue next year.

Real knowing AVP Offense means didley squat in Biscuits case. We have nowhere near the skill position players Cleveland have Biscuit is a JAG.
We have JAG at QB and at WR.. lol.. our JAG at QB is better options than Mac n Zapp lol wow

That may be the default plan. He was chosen more for his leadership skills than his ability to win games on the field. On the field he is a safe option that won't turn the ball over. Given Brissett's low floor I am hoping that one of the other QBs play well enough to force the issue next year.
Ain't gonna argue with that ... Brissett is a journeyman, much like Brian hoyer was... Tbh, I didn't see the need... But got pilloried with dislikes over that take

If someone beats out Brissett we should be all for starting that player, so long as they aren’t a rookie.

99% of all QBs are better off sitting their rookie year and the bigger the expectations the more patient you should be. Even Mahomes sat all but one game. I still wonder why Mac started his first season. Though I wonder a bit less with the news of Kraft meddling. Sure Cam sucked but trial by the fire is not how you manage an investment. Maybe it didn’t matter anyway.

I'm not sure Zappe will make it through TC. He was cut last year, and that was by the guy who actually drafted him.
If I had to guess (and my preference) is that Brissett, Rourke & Draftee will be the QB room this year.

And unlike we did with Mac, even if the Rookie "looks" ready, I think it's a matter of maturity and paying dues that he should at least sit the first half a season. If Brissett is tearing it up, then let him play. If he's struggling, then let him show the way.

I do think Rourke is a bigger x-factor who could sort of complicate things. But again, that would be a better problem to have than no one emerging at all.
I feel the same way. I have a suspicion the Pats might think they have something in Rourke. I don’t where he’ll eventually end up in the QB order but I believe he’ll push Zappe off the roster.

I feel the same way. I have a suspicion the Pats might think they have something in Rourke. I don’t where he’ll eventually end up in the QB order but I believe he’ll push Zappe off the roster.
Interesting that Bourne just strongly endorsed Zappe.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back