PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Zappe Beats out Brissett in TC? Now What?

1) not really
2) you know this for a fact? What players did you ask for their opinions on the QBs?

Zappe sucks.
1. Your opinion is different than mine. I can find posts that agree with me. I watched the games. Show me what you’ve got. 2. That’s what the reporters said. Find me some reporting to the contrary. Zappe does suck, but he was better than Mac on those two points.

When a quarterback sucks, then he sucks. But if all the quarterbacks suck, I think you should check if we might have other, bigger issues (like the O-Line). Especially when the rushing attack also suffered

If we don't fix the line we ARE going to have more of the same.

1. Your opinion is different than mine. I can find posts that agree with me. I watched the games. Show me what you’ve got.
25 sacks + 9 ints in 6 starts last season =/= a good feel in the pocket.

2. That’s what the reporters said. Find me some reporting to the contrary. Zappe does suck, but he was better than Mac on those two points.
Conjecture. There is no report anywhere that says definitively that the team liked Zappe better than Jones.

25 sacks + 9 ints in 6 starts last season =/= a good feel in the pocket.
The OL and receivers sucked. The consensus is that he did have better movement and feel in the pocket. He also hung in better under pressure. And that matches what I saw with my own eyes.
Conjecture. There is no report anywhere that says definitively that the team liked Zappe better than Jones.
What do you mean by “definitively”? What’s your standard for proof here? There are several reports that support my position and none that support yours, and that’s the best we’re going to get until players retire and/or are willing to go on the record. So tell me, what evidence is going to cut it? I assume you will set the standard so high that there will be no point in continuing this conversation. I’m fine with that, because I’m losing interest fast.

Cousins, Didn't Zappe beat Brissett when the aftermentioned was in Cleveland?

"Rookie Bailey Zappe threw for 309 yards and two touchdowns as the New England Patriots rolled to a 38-15 victory Sunday, handing the Browns their third consecutive loss and their most lopsided defeat of the year.

“Everyone had their handprint on this one, including myself in a big way,” said Brissett, who was intercepted twice and lost a fumble. “The main thing is we’re beating ourselves. We’ve got to get out of our way.

“Putting the team first, that’s what’s important.”

The Patriots forced Brissett to make plays by holding NFL rushing leader Nick Chubb to season lows of 56 yards on 12 carries. Cleveland also lost Pro Bowl guard Wyatt Teller to a calf injury in the first half and did not return.

New England turned Brissett’s three giveaways into 17 points and scored another touchdown off a fumble by punt returner Chester Rogers in the fourth quarter.

The latter prompted most of the FirstEnergy Stadium crowd of 67,431 to head for the exits, but not before loudly voicing its displeasure."

Huh......

DW Toys

Cousins, Didn't Zappe beat Brissett when the aftermentioned was in Cleveland?

"Rookie Bailey Zappe threw for 309 yards and two touchdowns as the New England Patriots rolled to a 38-15 victory Sunday, handing the Browns their third consecutive loss and their most lopsided defeat of the year.

“Everyone had their handprint on this one, including myself in a big way,” said Brissett, who was intercepted twice and lost a fumble. “The main thing is we’re beating ourselves. We’ve got to get out of our way.

“Putting the team first, that’s what’s important.”

The Patriots forced Brissett to make plays by holding NFL rushing leader Nick Chubb to season lows of 56 yards on 12 carries. Cleveland also lost Pro Bowl guard Wyatt Teller to a calf injury in the first half and did not return.

New England turned Brissett’s three giveaways into 17 points and scored another touchdown off a fumble by punt returner Chester Rogers in the fourth quarter.

The latter prompted most of the FirstEnergy Stadium crowd of 67,431 to head for the exits, but not before loudly voicing its displeasure."

Huh......

DW Toys

Easy to focus on just the QB's role in that game given the quotes you've chosen to provide a game report.

The only reasonable hope for a fan to have is that both guys raise their games and compete like hell for the starting role, with a rookie watching all that and learning a ton along the way. Why hope for something else?

The OL and receivers sucked. The consensus is that he did have better movement and feel in the pocket. He also hung in better under pressure. And that matches what I saw with my own eyes.
Yes they did but 25 sacks 9 INTs in 6 starts is not evidence of a guy that has a good feel in the pocket. Forget that "Cleveland game" that was a total mirage and a fluke.

What do you mean by “definitively”? What’s your standard for proof here? There are several reports that support my position and none that support yours, and that’s the best we’re going to get until players retire and/or are willing to go on the record. So tell me, what evidence is going to cut it? I assume you will set the standard so high that there will be no point in continuing this conversation. I’m fine with that, because I’m losing interest fast.
Actually no there aren't several reports that support your position that the locker room likes Zappe better than Jones or it would be easy to find. I'll admit I'm wrong if you can find just one. Yes there was talk it was a divided locker room but it's conjecture to say that means the locker room liked Zappe better.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Zappe yet. He has shown some flashes but no consistency. I think he gets 1 more chance before you ship him out of here.
You don't need to ship him out if he's just here to be a backup.

Zap definitely has this. He's ultra competitive and always has a chip on his shoulder. Whether or not it's Moxie or Maxi (Pad... sorry for being offensive), we'll see.

“The one quality I would say that a quarterback really needs is the will to win,” Gronkowski said. “The will to want to be better. If you’ve got talent but you don’t have the will to want to be better every single day, you’re not going to make it. The talent is going to fizzle out. That’s what Tom had: He had the will to want to be better every single day. If you want to be a quarterback in the NFL for a long time, you’ve gotta have that trait.”

I actually liked his "celebration" after his TD run against the Bills. He was pissed... as he should be because he sucked for a lot of it throwing 3 INTs (though he wasn't fully to blame for all of them - still shouldn't have thrown them but he's only had 8 starts ever and is still learning). I've seen ALL of the top 2024 QB prospects throw mind numbing INTs against people who won't even make an NFL training camp.

This is why I'm willing to give Zap a chance, even though he's a gunslinger. The guy has no panic - see 9:08:

Yes, I was a Cam defender until the bitter end (and hindsight is Pats would've probably been better off had he started over Mac), and I'll do so for Zap as well, delusional as I may be am.

Cousin,

I couldn't care less about our #2 QB situation. If Zappe leapfrogs Brissett to be the #2...great. If Brissett holds onto the job...great. I am more interested in two things:

a.) Can our rookie QB start before mid-season?

b.) What did you have for breakfast this AM, Cousin?

Cousin,

I couldn't care less about our #2 QB situation. If Zappe leapfrogs Brissett to be the #2...great. If Brissett holds onto the job...great. I am more interested in two things:

a.) Can our rookie QB start before mid-season?

b.) What did you have for breakfast this AM, Cousin?
Cousin Hyped, Just for you. I had this on another thread this AM.

Decent Weds. AM breakfast to start the day of a very fresh Asiago cheese bagel left in the fridge overnight to keep in moisture, not dried out Then spread with cream cheese. Now the secret ingredient. A thin slice of Wunderbar baloney (we've all had baloney...come on. It's just a flat hot dog) and a special light spread of a horseradish, sour cream sauce (home made) brushed on top and heated. Add cranberry-grape juice and a hot cup of Vanilla Gray Tea and I am off to the key board after I take out the garbage.

Bona Petite

Best,
DW Toys

Yes they did but 25 sacks 9 INTs in 6 starts is not evidence of a guy that has a good feel in the pocket. Forget that "Cleveland game" that was a total mirage and a fluke.

I agree to disagree with you on this one.

Actually no there aren't several reports that support your position that the locker room likes Zappe better than Jones or it would be easy to find. I'll admit I'm wrong if you can find just one. Yes there was talk it was a divided locker room but it's conjecture to say that means the locker room liked Zappe better.

On this one, I am forced to withdraw my assertion. I was interpolating between McCourty's comments about the locker room, the accounts about how toxic the QB room had become, and comments announcers made during the games as the QB drama was played out. You are right: I can't establish it at this time. We'll only know if players agree to talk about the situation at some point in the future, and I doubt anyone will care enough to follow up on it, unless Mac's career takes off after his departure.

Reactions: sb1

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back