PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TC observations 8/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Was at today’s TC session, and observations are off the top of my head, so please excuse any errors or possible misinterpretation of what happened, as there is naturally no way to review replay or look at the all-22.

First off, those thinking that we might go 4-0. Please get that out of your head, now. It’s not happening, period. This isn’t a knock on Garo by any means, but he still has a long way to go. More on that later.

QB drills. 3, 5, and 7 drop step. Hit the short, flat, and out. Watching Brady and his flawless mechanics. A Michelangelo in motion, not one single wasted motion. Nobody creates tight spirals like he does, and we’ve all been spoiled by that, no question. Garo was a close second, but every now and then, his balls flutter- sometimes throws flat-footed, off his back heel. Now, Briskett- I have no idea what they see in him, but he really defines “raw.” His mechanics are ugly to look at, and no two throws are the same, and as for accuracy let me just say that he moves the ball boy off his spot every single freaking time.

Watched Edelman- he is without question, 100%. His cuts are hard and clean, he snaps in and out of his breaks. No hesitation whatsoever, so Pats Nation can take a deep breath and exhale. He did not play in the scrimmage, so obviously being very cautious here.

I paid close attention to Scar and the OL, and he was back in fine form, taking notes, chewing out his linemen, getting in their faces, talking to them. Just flat out communicating. Just seeing that makes me feel much better- a great contrast to what we saw with Guggy who didn’t even carry around a notepad. The line seems to be a lot more consistent (although I’ve only had one day to look at it). Run blocking drills- saw good fundamentals, good movement, strong pulling, whams, logs- this is a sharp squad. Linemen squaring up, good anchor, not losing leverage. Barring any changes, we’ll be seeing Solder-Thuney-Andrews-Karras-Cannon this coming Thursday (although I prefer Waddle over Cannon). Andrews has the C job, no question. He is also noticeably larger and bulkier and definitely is above the 300 mark. Not sure what they’ll do with Stork- he was there but a DNP. Watching from the sidelines. I think he’ll make the roster as a utility man, if at all. Andrews and Thuney have a good rapport.

The scrimmage today was interesting, and as you know there was loud music on and that was not only great practice for the players as far as substitutions and communications (think OL) but moreso for the OC and DC staff, communicating schemes and packages from the sidelines. I think that’s where the real practice was, forcing the coordinators to adjust on the fly based on what they see from the sidelines, as far as downs, distances, packages, formations and alignments, and adding to the confusion was BB, arbitrarily dictating down and distance (Goodell, anyone?). He even reversed a Brady scramble that was clearly a first down, which left Brady pissed, but gave ST more reps. In short, a real mental workout, especially for Kuhn who came to the sideline looking quite confused, as if a truck had just hit him. Looks like he never had anything like this in New York.

And as for the scrimmage itself and the two quarterbacks facing off heavy on handoffs as that seems to be something BB wanted to work on. On paper you will see that Brady was 14 for 25 with 1 TD and 1 INT, and Garo, 15-24, 1 TD, 0 INT. And these stats are quite misleading. First and foremost, they kept taking good players from Brady. It clearly chafes Brady to be working with the 2nd and 3rd string stiffs, having to talk routes and timing with players who will not make the roster, and more importantly having to work with players who just don’t have the drive, determination, talent, and focus of the first stringers. The pick he threw looks like it “sailed” over AJ Derby’s head, but the guy just can’t read the field to save his life. He half assed a seam route on a MOFO look, which led to an animated lecture by Brady on the sideline that paid dividends on the last drive.

Garo, on the other hand, nearly had a bunch of picks. He sometimes telegraphs, has a tendency to lead, doesn’t have eyes in the back of his head, and still hasn’t mastered the art of moving DB’s with his eyes. He also is having a bit of trouble progressing through his reads without locking. McCourty was all over this, and I don’t know if someone had told him to back off and not give Garo such a hard time, but he was nearly always in the general area of most of Garo’s throws and that’s never a good sign. (He did drop a would be INT.) Now this isn’t to bag on Garo, but we all have to temper our expectations! and remember he still has a long way to go. We definitely aren’t going to go 4-0, but it won’t be a disaster either. Our defense will win games. Hightower and Collins continue to be in a league of their own- it’s ridiculous watching them moving before the snap and just having an uncanny nose for where the play is going, anticipating the POA, or reading the handoff and getting into the backfield before the tackles could even engage to ride them out of play.

The last drive of the day was vintage Brady. They gave him the bottom half of the roster to work with, and yet, and yet, he found a way- he always does. He found a way to drive those 3rd string bums downfield (who the **** is Devin Lucien?), a backup OL against the 1st string defense, starting Kline at C. Hit Harper on a dig, hitch, AJ Derby on a long seam (dividends), Carter on a double move low drag out of the smash, and while being rushed, converted a 2 point play to “win.”

I have no idea what is wrong with Gost- three misses today. Hopefully just a bad day.

I have more observations and thoughts but wanted to get this post out of the way.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for posting!

Great stuff, thanks. Wish I could be in camp standing next to you!

As far as Jimmy G, he always seems to have his bad practice days and always seems to play better in the games. He's a gamer. That being said, I agree we aren't going 4-0. No reflection on Jimmy G, I'd be saying that if Brady was starting the first 4 games too, very tough 4 game stretch to start the season.

As far as Jimmy G, he always seems to have his bad practice days and always seems to play better in the games. He's a gamer. That being said, I agree we aren't going 4-0. No reflection on Jimmy G, I'd be saying that if Brady was starting the first 4 games too, very tough 4 game stretch to start the season.

Yes you're correct, I'd forgotten about that. I remember reading how bad some of his practices were last year then he'd just lit it up in a PS game.

I guess, for me, it's all the little things that just don't quite add up at this point. Of course, I may be eating these words a few years from now.

Great post! Thank you!

Hoping for 4 - 0; expecting 2 - 2. Hopefully the 2 W's are in the division.

Thanks

There were multiple positive reports for Gaffney. Since it was run heavy scrimmage and this is one of our two ? positions - can you write what you saw there ...

Gaffney was always interesting to me because he has most potential to upgrade Bolden and step in for Blount. Reading that BB sees ST value in him makes him interesting to watch even if most of this board was (and still is) very sceptical about him.

Earlier in training camp, Bill Belichick said of Gaffney, "He’s a smart kid, he’s tough, he’s strong. ... I like working with him. He’s a great kid, works hard in the kicking game, so we’ll see how it comes together for him." (from the latest Reiss article)

Fantastic breakdown. Thanks

Honestly, you were the TC report I was waiting for and always tend to have waited for since you first came around here. Thanks for the breakdown. I have no clue what they saw in Brissett either and he's got a very long way to go. Also tough hearing about Garoppolo not having mastered the game of moving the DB's with his eyes just yet. I think he's going to potentially be in for a tough night in Week 1. Hopefully I'm wrong. Very encouraging to hear about Edelman. I saw a clip of him running a crossing route and he looks as confident as ever in that foot. I expect a monster season from him if he's healthy. Are you going to any more practices or is this it?

Thanks for the write up. I wonder if Ghost is tinkering with his mechanics. If not, his frequent misses are concerning.

What sux most about the 4 game suspension is that the first month of most every season is a passer's dream. Defenses aren't up to full speed scheme-wise and passing offenses have a big advantage. In past years, NE's OL was pass blocking ready to open the season but needed many games to get the running game up to speed. Will NE let JG sling it around the field or go conservative with a balanced attack. I hope the NE defense has its blitzing game ready to fire on all cylinders.

Thanks for the write up. I wonder if Ghost is tinkering with his mechanics. If not, his frequent misses are concerning.

If he is, then it's a terrible idea. His mechanics really didn't need to be adjusted.

If he is, then it's a terrible idea. His mechanics really didn't need to be adjusted.
Was it stupid for Brady to rework is mechanics a few years ago?

Sure, his accuracy and leg are excellent, but that isn't the whole story. Perhaps his mechanics were causing him pain? Maybe his windup was taking too long and he needed to shave a step off his approach? Maybe his footwork made for poor footing in adverse conditions?

I certainly don't know enough, or have enough information to make such a judgement. Unless you are an expert on kicking mechanics and have all the inside information, passing such a judgment, especially in so authoritative a tone, is misguided at best.

I trust that if Ghost and BB decided to tweak his mechanics, the decision wasn't made lightly.

Was it stupid for Brady to rework is mechanics a few years ago?

Sure, his accuracy and leg are excellent, but that isn't the whole story. Perhaps his mechanics were causing him pain? Maybe his windup taking too long and he needed to shave a step off his approach? Maybe his footwork made for poor footing in adverse conditions?

I certainly don't know enough, or have enough information to make such a judgement. Unless you are an expert on kicking mechanics and have all the inside information, passing such a judgment, especially in so authoritative a tone, is misguided at best.

Brady is also getting older and quarterbacks, as they age, typically have to adjust their mechanics accordingly. Gost has been the best kicker in the league for some time now and is still relatively young. I think it's more likely that he's currently working through an injury than it is that he's adjusting his mechanics. If he IS adjusting his mechanics, then the results apparently have not be very good. Perhaps he should go back to what he was doing before.

Thanks

There were multiple positive reports for Gaffney. Since it was run heavy scrimmage and this is one of our two ? positions - can you write what you saw there ...

Gaffney was always interesting to me because he has most potential to upgrade Bolden and step in for Blount. Reading that BB sees ST value in him makes him interesting to watch even if most of this board was (and still is) very sceptical about him.

Earlier in training camp, Bill Belichick said of Gaffney, "He’s a smart kid, he’s tough, he’s strong. ... I like working with him. He’s a great kid, works hard in the kicking game, so we’ll see how it comes together for him." (from the latest Reiss article)

Sorry, wasn't really watching the RB's. There's only so much you can look at, at TC, and I chose to concentrate on the OL and their execution, my philosophy being that without a solid OL, nothing short of a superstar RB is going to save your bacon.

Honestly, you were the TC report I was waiting for and always tend to have waited for since you first came around here. Thanks for the breakdown. I have no clue what they saw in Brissett either and he's got a very long way to go. Also tough hearing about Garoppolo not having mastered the game of moving the DB's with his eyes just yet. I think he's going to potentially be in for a tough night in Week 1. Hopefully I'm wrong. Very encouraging to hear about Edelman. I saw a clip of him running a crossing route and he looks as confident as ever in that foot. I expect a monster season from him if he's healthy. Are you going to any more practices or is this it?

Thanks for the compliment, appreciate it.

I suspect that at this point, Garo is a man trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant going full blast, in terms of processing information and remembering the nuts and bolts of what makes an above average NFL quarterback. All the little things adding up that just causes information overload.

That being said, he's inevitably going to lead Gronk or Edelman, or both, at one point or another. Most posters would be satisfied with a winning or tied record after four games. I frankly would be more than happy with an injury free Edelman and Gronk after 4 games.

Traveling rest of this week, but will try to squeeze in one or two more sessions when I get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back